Note to New Members ×

New Video Series by Bomber and Donek: Need Your Input!

fin

• 5 weeks later...
Jibber on a rockered park board. Carver on a new Donek.

Who goes home with the perfect 10 model?

The jibber goes home with his mother, the carver goes home with his wife, and the perfect 10 model goes home with the movie producer.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I managed to delete a few posts below the one I intended to remove. I noticed an earlier post had been quoted and attempted to delete the original post of mine (redundancy)

If you happen to have a subscription to the thread and receive updates , perhaps we can replace a couple of the posts by cutting and pasting the text from the email update?

Sorry to those effected, my fingers are evidently more nimble than my mind. A self administered lashing has occurred and I promise to be more careful in the future. :smashfrea

Bryan

(Reposted, to recreate the thread)

Our current asymmetric, twisted body, alpine snowboard stance is not necessarily the best, or only, way to ride a symmetrical cut alpine snowboard.

------------------------------------------------------------

Here’s a radical idea. So crazy, it might actually work! Why not use a more symmetric body stance for a plated, symmetric, alpine snowboard?

They used to make lots of asymmetric alpine snowboards. They were designed because we stand asymmetrically on our boards, and the aim was to try and even up the weight distribution on the effective edges. Now almost all alpine boards are symmetric, and isocline/isolation plate designs have freed us from needing to consider the effect of the placement of the near rigid alloy binding plate on the flex of the snowboard. Yet our stances are still asymmetric, with the body twisted away from the midline, goofy or regular. This results in distinctly different body twist and weight distribution for heel vs. toe side turns.

While mentally doodling with the idea of trying a plated board as a monoski, the even more radical idea of developing a forward facing, symmetric body stance, and appropriate binding setup came to me. The stance could be ridden just as a snowboard or, easily with poles as a fusion between monoskiing/skiing/alpine snowboarding. The picture below illustrates the concept for a regular, symmetric body, stance.

post-7136-141842394424_thumb.jpg

Take your standard alpine snowboard stance, with e.g. a 5 degree offset between the feet, and twist it forward so that both feet are now pointing 2.5 degrees away from the centreline. Keep everything else unchanged. Keep your heel and toe rise the same. Keep the boot centre to centre distance unchanged, and keep the relationship between centre of the rider’s stance to centre of the plate, and the centre of the effective edge of the board, just as it was. Allow the feet to be apart side-to-side, rather than as on a skwal,one behind the other. So the powerful, balanced, body stance we've developed is preserved. But now the body motion on either turn should be close to identical. Body angulation should be easily achieved on either side, rather than predominantly on the heelside. The pull out of the race start gate will be straighter and more powerful with the trunk muscles pulling straight forward. The way the rider’s body approaches each gate will be the same.

With a recently ruptured Achilles tendon, I won’t be on a board before July 2014 to try the idea out for myself.

Video idea: Build a wider than usual isolation plate with Bomber Elite2 Non-Release Skiboard Bindings mounted in a symmetric body stance, the narrow footplate design minimising the plate edge overhang while maximising the distance the feet are apart side-to-side, and compare it with a plate with a standard binding asymmetric stance setup, and see what the differences are. Match the GS boards underneath so that the only difference is the stance setup. If nothing else we'll probably see Sean and Fin make some serious wipeouts as they get used to the different stance. But we might have our eyes opened to a radical change in the way we ride. Nothing ventured........

PS: Bryan, thanks for 'fessing up. Very grateful for the work the Mod's do in keeping this place nicely civil, but not without a sense of fun, especially when people come up with crazy ideas. Just need MikeT, Lowrider and Leeho to chime back in.:)

PSS: I found the post which had planted the seed for the above.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?31614-Plan-B-Plate-by-BlueB&p=346644#post346644

Edited by SunSurfer
Acknowledge BlueB's original idea

PS: Bryan, thanks for 'fessing up. Very grateful for the work the Mod's do in keeping this place nicely civil, but not without a sense of fun, especially when people come up with crazy ideas. Just need MikeT, Lowrider and Leeho to chime back in.:) Thought I might need to check my meds when thread went missing. Oops that's how I got this tread into trouble isn't it ? Trying to imagine that stance on a plate on a board gives me uneasy feelings. From a survival standpoint it just makes me feel vulnerable. It brings to mind the stance one uses when attempting to break down a door. There's a good reason why we don't just bash face first into a closed locked door when attempting to open it . Maybe it's the same instinct that make riding sideways on a board more comfortable than a mono stance. The types of muscles and balance required may not be the ones best suited for the types of reactionary moves required. House needs shingles and the barn requires a few weeks work my wife will love it when she finds out i'm working on a new mono plate design. Thanks SunSurfer !

Hi Pat, I thought when I posted the idea originally you would probably be tempted to give it a whirl.

I've done a little work on the geometry to try to show how what I'm suggesting is not a monoski stance, but really just a rotated alpine snowboard stance.

It's a more like riding a skwal than a monoski, except with a wider based stance. I suspect this is a more comfortable, and more powerful, stance than on a skwal.

The black line joins the C-to-C of each footprint, while the red line shows the midline of the plate/snowboard.

post-7136-141842394432_thumb.jpg

post-7136-141842394436_thumb.jpg

One problem is the width required with something like a 65(Front)/60(Rear) setup, so something equivalent to a 75/70 or a 70/70 may be needed to keep the width reasonable.

I'm out of my cast and in to a "moon boot" now, having persuaded my orthopaedic surgeon into going down an early weightbearing rehab path. And so I've now modified my moonboot by inserting a grey race tongue from my HSPs under the velcro straps to more evenly distribute the pressure and lock my heel down properly. Works so well they should probably make an insert to do it in the standard model! It's so much easier getting around and doing stuff with my hands free, rather than propelling myself along with crutches.

FIS & USASA Rules: Bindings on a Snowboard.

Have been reading the competition rules in relation to hand protection for other reasons.

Found out that these two organisations say that the bindings on a snowboard -

USASA:

151.01 Snowboard

A snowboard is equipment, which permits gliding on all snow conditions. The bindings must be affixed in a sideways manner on the longitudinal axis of the board. The boots cannot overlap each other.

FIS:

2090.2 Bindings

The bindings must be fixed diagonally on the long axis of the board. The boots cannot overlap each other.

2090.2.1 Plate Systems that connect both bindings are not allowed in SBX (individual plate systems are allowed on each binding)

2090.3 Retention devices, leashes

Safety leashes are optional unless required by the organiser or the ski area.

--------------------------

From the array of binding setups, in pipe, SBX, GS & Slalom etc. it seems that just about any angle is OK, as long as the binding is not aligned exactly along the long axis of the board, and the boots do not overlap along the long axis of the board.

And now I can see why Fin is not going to sell any Boiler Plates to SBX riders for competition use.

PS: Bryan, thanks for 'fessing up. Very grateful for the work the Mod's do in keeping this place nicely civil, but not without a sense of fun, especially when people come up with crazy ideas. Just need MikeT, Lowrider and Leeho to chime back in.:) Thought I might need to check my meds when thread went missing. Oops that's how I got this tread into trouble isn't it ? Trying to imagine that stance on a plate on a board gives me uneasy feelings. From a survival standpoint it just makes me feel vulnerable. It brings to mind the stance one uses when attempting to break down a door. There's a good reason why we don't just bash face first into a closed locked door when attempting to open it . Maybe it's the same instinct that make riding sideways on a board more comfortable than a mono stance. The types of muscles and balance required may not be the ones best suited for the types of reactionary moves required. House needs shingles and the barn requires a few weeks work my wife will love it when she finds out i'm working on a new mono plate design. Thanks SunSurfer !

Looks like I may be innocent of deleting the posts. I couldn't figure out how I might have done it. Although I had intended to only delete a redundant post of my own. Looks like some posts have gone missing elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

Better still, no love for soft booters that carve without steep angles and hardboots.

I fully understand that this is a Hardboot forum and specific site. I ride boards that sit between alpine and SBX. I like to carve and not leave the mountain with bloody stumps called feet after spending all day in hardboots. Hard to find any kind of soft boot love these days. And the jibbers sure don't get it...

Thanks Michelle. Would love to see the power plate itself become a softboot binding. Catek left a giant hole in the market for riders like me. I'm paying $370 for a flow binding I'm sure to break this winter... Would love to lighten and lower my power plates by using a bomber made plate and binding?! Send me the prototypes!