Note to New Members ×

So, I was going 130mph and .......................

www.oldsnowboards.com

What happens to your periphery vision at that speed?...does it become blurred?

I watched a programme on F1 cars where an ordinary driver tried to drive one and they gave a good description of what skills to need to have to drive one and i'm sure they mentioned things at the side of the road start to blur and that's before they really got going in the car!

Must be quite exhilarating taking that risk on the bike and hitting that speed:eplus2:

I've gone up to 165mph (GPS, not by the speedo) and unfortunately you don't go to plaid. Nothing special happens, it's just exhausting to drive that way as you have to concentrate immensely on everything, and every split second is important, traffic, road conditions, monitoring oil/coolant temp, etc. And the gas mileage...

What happens to your periphery vision at that speed?...does it become blurred?

My personal speed record is somewhere between 170 and 180 at the end of the straight on Perimeter (same config they ran WSBK on) at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. Things slow down. In your mind, you're so far ahead of where you are, it feels like it's taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get to the next turn. I find myself going "let's go, let's go, let's go, faster, faster, faster" despite being on a 160 HP, 400 lb. bike. As far as things on the side of the road becoming blurry, they actually just disappear. You're so focused on looking as far ahead as you can, waiting for the braking marker, thinking about how many gears you have to go down to set up for the turn, ect ect ect... **** on the side of the road (course) ceases to exist. When I'm in a full tuck, I don't see the grand stands, the tower, the start/ finish line, pit out or anything else. The only thing that exists in my world at that time are me, my bike, and the next turn. To be honest, race pace on the track is more relaxing than 30 MPH over the speed limit on the road, and I *really* have to watch myself if I go ride on the street the day after a track day because things seem sooooooo sllllooooooowwwww on the street.

My personal speed record is somewhere between 170 and 180 at the end of the straight on Perimeter (same config they ran WSBK on) at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. Things slow down. In your mind, you're so far ahead of where you are, it feels like it's taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get to the next turn. I find myself going "let's go, let's go, let's go, faster, faster, faster" despite being on a 160 HP, 400 lb. bike. As far as things on the side of the road becoming blurry, they actually just disappear. You're so focused on looking as far ahead as you can, waiting for the braking marker, thinking about how many gears you have to go down to set up for the turn, ect ect ect... **** on the side of the road (course) ceases to exist. When I'm in a full tuck, I don't see the grand stands, the tower, the start/ finish line, pit out or anything else. The only thing that exists in my world at that time are me, my bike, and the next turn. To be honest, race pace on the track is more relaxing than 30 MPH over the speed limit on the road, and I *really* have to watch myself if I go ride on the street the day after a track day because things seem sooooooo sllllooooooowwwww on the street.

YES! You wrote that very well. I love that feeling when you are 100% focused on the task at hand. Nothing else in the world matters, you are just going to extract the maximum potential from the tires and your personal limits. While this is all going on, a significant percentage of your brain is analyzing your performance, trying to help you do it better on the next lap.

YES! You wrote that very well. I love that feeling when you are 100% focused on the task at hand. Nothing else in the world matters, you are just going to extract the maximum potential from the tires and your personal limits. While this is all going on, a significant percentage of your brain is analyzing your performance, trying to help you do it better on the next lap.

Here's something I wrote a while back after my first track day...

There really is nothing quite like the moment of stark clarity when you're on the brakes coming into T1 on perimeter. Time stops, everything around you ceases to exist, and you become one with the bike. The HRC brake pads clamping down on the 320mm rotors become an extension of your finger and every part of the bike works in harmony with every cell in your body to haul 600 lbs. of man and machine down from 155 MPH using nothing more than ~15 square inches of rubber. Diving towards the apex, the feeling of gravity sucking you down into the seat and tank seems to last forever as your knee puck lightly bounces and grazes the pavement. The full Ohlins suspension works with such perfection that you don't even know it's there, effecting the feeling more of being on a couch than on a motorcycle. Rolling on the throttle as you exit T1, you feel each power pulse of the angry twin increasing in intensity and frequency. Each intake event can be heard occurring mere inches from your head as the enormous Wiseco pistons greedily suck air through the TurnOne carbon fiber airbox. Going WFO, you feel the forks top out as the rumble turns into a bellow turns into a roar and the pounding, mountainous thrust teleports you to the next turn.

http://<wbr>www.millermotorsportspark.com/<wbr>downloads/maps/<wbr>MMP_Facility_Map_High_Resolutio<wbr>n.pdf

Watching "Isle of Man". WOW!! With all the cameras on board these days, wicked fast. Side cars? Jumping around on the side car at 160mph? Crazy!
we all think bike riders have a screw loose to do IOM TT. imagine how nuts you have to be to ride pillion in the sidecar.

we all think bike riders have a screw loose to do IOM TT. imagine how nuts you have to be to ride pillion in the sidecar.

And I have always wanted to swing a sidecar. Maybe not around the Isle though! There's a scene in "TT3D' where the sidecar passenger smacks his shoulder on the wall as the car is taking a bend, and gets violently ejected sideways right out the back - it makes me O_O.

Those guys have to have nerves of steel. At least on a bike, when you screw up, it's all on you. On a car, you'd have to have the utmost trust in your driver - if he screws up, you both cop it. There was a sidecar pair killed the year I was there, and another pair the year after.

Back when I was racing motorcycles, (90's), @ P.I.R. (Portland International Raceway), the sidecar guys would show up once or twice a season. During lunch break the racers could donate $5 and take several laps as the "Monkey". I chose a crazy guy from S.F. to ride with. I asked him to take a "spirited" lap and then if he was satisfied with my ability... Scare the hell outa' me. WOW, he started puttin' down full on "race speed" laps. WHAT A RUSH. We got in 3 or 4 laps and got blacked flagged for excessive speed. It was supposed to be demo rides only. When your entire body is hangin' out with your butt skippin' off of the track and still coming up on two wheels it was pretty scary. Not a sport for those with trust issues...

Don

Back when I was racing motorcycles, (Snip) It was supposed to be demo rides only. When your entire body is hangin' out with your butt skippin' off of the track and still coming up on two wheels it was pretty scary. Not a sport for those with trust issues...

Don

As a sidecarist I can tell you that the rise of the chair on a properly set up rig is fairly predictable and consistent as long as your monkey is doing his job consistently. I fly the chair on the street bike ('84 Goldwing EML combo) frequently at speeds up to 75mph with no worries at all. It does get the rider's attention if they aren't used to it.

Edited by bruincounselor