Note to New Members ×

Utah carving,here we come!

Steve Prokopiw

Well,we just signed a lease on a house in Spanish Fork.My wife has a real job in the mining industry and we are transferring there so she can be closer to the operation in Eureka.The boys and I will spend most of the summer up here in Idaho to ease the transition away from the only life and friends they have known.We aren't selling our place up here in Idaho just yet,as we are hedging our bets in case we want or need to come back.

We're a dyed in the wool ski/board/bike/outdoor family and are looking forward to all that the Salt Lake area has to offer.I can't wait to rip some superlight pow and sweet cord with some Utah riders next season!

Edited by Steve Prokopiw

I already bought next winter's pass for PCMR. I'll be up in the PNW during the summer, then somewhere around Park City by the time it starts snowing.

Digging for Moly? The new big Chinese mine? I stayed a night in Eureka a couple of months ago and asked around about it. There seems to be lots of excitement if the whole operation pans out. - Art

Welcome to Utah, Steve. You'll want to set your watch back twenty years once you pull into town. If you don't want to change your religion or buy a vacuum cleaner, make sure you put a NO SOLICITING sign on your front door. It'll be a bit of a cultural change but, it's not like it used to be. Oh, and the best part about living in Utah is that Sundays are relatively uncrowded days on the slopes. Hope to ride with you either at COW or if Bomber comes to town again. Fin?

Mark

I already bought next winter's pass for PCMR. I'll be up in the PNW during the summer, then somewhere around Park City by the time it starts snowing.

Digging for Moly? The new big Chinese mine? I stayed a night in Eureka a couple of months ago and asked around about it. There seems to be lots of excitement if the whole operation pans out. - Art

Welcome to Utah, Art. You'll want to set your watch ahead ten years once you roll into PC. It's a little bit ahead of the curve for Utah. Again, if you don't want to change your religion (and underwear) or buy a Kirby vacuum cleaner just put a NO SOLICITING sign on your front door. The best part about living in Utah and in Park Silly is now you have a lot of terrain to cover and it is not really that crowded on Sundays. See you at COW or when Bomber rolls into town. Fin or Michelle?

Thanks utahcarver.Where I currently live the joke has also been to turn watches back 30 years after crossing 4th of July Pass coming fromCoeur d'Alene into the Silver Valley.But here,the ski resorts are also that far back in time-good and bad-Sunday's are good.

Ironically,my born again hippie parents moved us from San Diego to St Anthony, Idaho in 1973.We lived there for seven years and I left thinking, I'd never do that to my kids...yet, here I am doing it to them ;-) We're not religious however,(not atheists either) and take a 'mind our business' approach to other's religions.Yes,hopefully times have indeed changed.

See ya on the slopes!

Welcome to Utah, Steve and Art,

You'll love the snow here, and there are a number of great resorts in the Wasatch above the Salt Lake valley. I've also heard that Sundance is fun, which is above Provo.

I ride further north at Snowbasin and Powder Mountain, fewer people than the Cottonwoods and PCMR, hurray for that!

Give me a holler when the season starts and we can get together and ride.

Art I've already ridden with you at COW and I'll do my best to keep up, maybe utahcarver can also swing it with his school schedule.

Mick

Art, I can't believe your introduction to the "Grand Foggee" experience didn't sway you to move to Wydaho!! Well, I hope Park City proves to be a fun spot for awhile.

Steve, if my boyfriend weren't my ex-boyfriend, I would probably be seeing you on the slopes in Utah somewhere, as he lives quite close to you (Mapleton). Oh well, no trips to Utah for me anymore... Spanish Fork seemed decent enough - the wind blows a lot, but that's a good thing because it's blowing fresh air into town and pushes the SLC smog back up the valley. And you're close to a nice hot spring! Where will you be riding? Are you getting passes somewhere?

@Kelly,I was looking on mapquest and it looks like the best bang for our driving buck might be Snowbird-about 50 minutes.Sundance is about 35 minutes,but it's tiny.Park City is about 1hr15 min drive too.I'm going to look at instructing somewhere so that will help decide our home resort too.

@Excelsior- The mine is named the Dragon Mine and 'halloysite' clay is the primary material being mined there.I believe there is use for it in nanotech.The company Maureen works for is Applied Minerals which is decended (after several company breakups) from the old Atlas mining ops up here in the Silver Valley.

@boardguru-Cool,I knew there were more places to lookup!

Edited by Steve Prokopiw

This just in.

BROOMFIELD, Colo. • Colorado-based Vail Resorts is taking over operations of the Canyons ski resort in Utah under a long-term agreement with Talisker Corp. of Toronto. Vail said Wednesday the agreement could potentially include leasing the land under the adjacent Park City Mountain Resort. Talisker owns the land, which is involved in a lawsuit.

• 1 month later...

I really like the plate. Mick, you are the only one worthy enough to have a 'recommend' for this kind of plate in the Wasatch Range.

I hope you know that many of us are jealous of your serendipity...and know you deserve it and have earned it.

Good on ya' Brother!!!!

Hey Art and Steve, welcome to Utah, sorry, I already have dibs on this plate!

• 1 month later...

Well, this is just peachy.

Park City Mountain Resort will continue operating, selling passes despite eviction notice

Lease dispute » Tussle between PCMR and Talisker Corp. flares up as season passes go on sale.

By Christopher Smart and Mike Gorrell | The Salt Lake Tribune

Park City Mountain Resort (PCMR) took a broadside this week in its legal dispute over ski terrain and is pointing at Vail Resorts as the "bully."

Toronto-based Talisker Land Holdings LLC, which recently leased Canyons Resort near Park City to Vail, served an eviction notice to PCMR giving it until Monday to vacate 2,800 acres of ski terrain adjacent to Old Town Park City.

I'm starting to feel a little guilty for being all excited to get an Epic pass. Vail went public when I was working there and the atmosphere changed both in the town and at the resort pretty quickly.It went from being a ski town to a company town.It's a pretty cut throat biz when done their way.By buying the pass,my justification is that I'd rather play there than work there. I've discovered that with several resorts over the years.

I agree w/you there...however...don't feel too guilty about buying the pass...you need to ride somwhere.

At the end-of-the-day though....as we all know....Vail Resorts Inc. (NYSE:MTN) is a corporation like any other (IBM, Exxon, HP, Ford, etc...). There bottomline is unfortunately (for us)....profit....plain and simple.

Give me a "family-run" resort anyday...however...good luck finding one of those now-a-days. Oh how I miss my little resort in Liechenstein (Malbun).

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a Carve-nundrum :)

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56852434-78/pcmr-talisker-resort-emails.html.csp

Lund said "our case that they clearly backdated the letter and did so deliberately is intact. … This idea we are not going to see what’s in those emails doesn’t change that and we are continuing to move forward with our investigation into the details of that."

Last month, Talisker served PCMR with an eviction notice. Vail Resorts Inc., which Talisker brought in to run nearby Canyons Resort and to take the lead on the litigation, later said it had no intention of shutting down PCMR this winter.

PCMR’s parent company, Park City-based Powdr Corp., owns the resort’s base facility and a lower stretch of the mountain, including the Superpipe. Just about everything above that is owned by Talisker. But without base facilities, Vail cannot run the resort either, raising community concern that this dispute between ski-industry titans could shut down PCMR this winter, on its 50th anniversary.