Note to New Members ×

Rent a ski resort

jtslalom

I just rode at a small ski resort in New York state this past weekend. It has 35 trails with an 1100 ft vertical drop. The resort is called Plattekill which is located in the western Catskill Mountains. As I was seated in the lodge I saw a flyer for enting the ski resort for a full day for $2500. It can be rented only on Monday through Tursday. The rental includes a working staff with an open cafeteria. I thought it would be a good idea of maybe looking at this resort for the next East Coast Expression Session or possibly some other large gatheing of carvers in the East.

Wow that seems crazy to me. Do they turn away patrons that show up not knowing the mountain was rented privately? I'd be so pissed if that happened to me especially if I drove a long distance to get there. However that would be incredible to have a mountain with nothing but carvers.

That sounds great for an outing of friends, but part of the mission of a session is to expose the general public and potential newbies to the sport. You could probaly do both with some advertisment, perhaps free passes in exchange for demo fees.

I wonder if that rental comes with "re-grooming" services as well?

Turner Mountain in NW Montana is also available for rent Monday - Thursday. I am not sure what the daily rate is currently. They just added a 2nd groomer this season and with a little over 2100ft vertical.

www.skiturner.com

I grew up riding there....back when there were only 3 Burton boards in the catalog and the lift/drag was "North Americas Longest T-Bar." The groomer then was a retired Air Force snowcat that drug a piece of culvert and chain link fence...that was some quality grooming.

Today they have a double chair, 2 groomers, and a lodge with flushing toilets!

On powder days it is the closest thing to snowcat/heli skiing.... Top to bottom powder runs all day...

Mt Abram in Locke Mills Maine (15 minutes from Sunday River) does this as well. $3480...up to 250 people included in that price. They even have it on liftopia.

Mt Abram is not fancy, has some fun runs, 1100' vertical. For $35 a head, 100 people to have the place for a day is inexpensive fun.

Turner Mountain in NW Montana is also available for rent Monday - Thursday. I am not sure what the daily rate is currently. They just added a 2nd groomer this season and with a little over 2100ft vertical.

www.skiturner.com

I grew up riding there....back when there were only 3 Burton boards in the catalog and the lift/drag was "North Americas Longest T-Bar." The groomer then was a retired Air Force snowcat that drug a piece of culvert and chain link fence...that was some quality grooming.

Today they have a double chair, 2 groomers, and a lodge with flushing toilets!

On powder days it is the closest thing to snowcat/heli skiing.... Top to bottom powder runs all day...

Looks like a lot of fun! On my List for next year's Montana trip.

Here's the webpage with info:

http://plattekill.com/winter/rent-the-mountain

Nice variety of steeps. Nice wide trails too.

Current headcount of interest is 5 total?

Plus:erikj,john,kevin,joe,guessing easy 24 others idk

Suggested initial headcount 35?

2500/35=probably 15 people short before giving it serious consideration.

Maybe PureBoarding would be interested for 2014?????

Turner seems like a lot of bang for the buck when it comes to a mountain rental.For a big group Mission Ridge in Wenatchee, Washington has a high speed quad and would rent and staff the entire resort for $10,000. 100x100=10,000 ;-)Lookout Pass has a price of $4000 fully staffed/groomed which also seems like good bang for the buck since they do a lot of great grooming.

I just rode at a small ski resort in New York state this past weekend. It has 35 trails with an 1100 ft vertical drop. The resort is called Plattekill which is located in the western Catskill Mountains. As I was seated in the lodge I saw a flyer for enting the ski resort for a full day for $2500. It can be rented only on Monday through Tursday. The rental includes a working staff with an open cafeteria. I thought it would be a good idea of maybe looking at this resort for the next East Coast Expression Session or possibly some other large gatheing of carvers in the East.

i am certain this is the same place where is spent a day (unexpectedly) when a rental car broke down, about ten years ago. the guy who ran the place had just started the lift and was sweeping about 8 inches of pow off of the seats when i approached him. he told me that the place was rented for a birthday party and i could stay if they (renters) didn't mind. my buddy and i loved it - the place was pretty mom and pop and that always scores points with me.