Note to New Members ×

Do I need a leash for SnowPro bindings?

orob

Going to Mammoth this weekend on my first hardboot set-up and using SnowPro bindings with a F.A.S.T step-in system. Do I need to use a leash?

Apologies for the noob question - have some UPZ boots so the fit is pretty excellent with the bindings if that makes a difference.

Much appreciated,

-Rob

Going to Mammoth this weekend on my first hardboot set-up and using SnowPro bindings with a F.A.S.T step-in system. Do I need to use a leash?

Apologies for the noob question - have some UPZ boots so the fit is pretty excellent with the bindings if that makes a difference.

Much appreciated,

-Rob

Technically, i don't see why you would need a leash under any circumstances. I've never seen skiers leash their ski, and those actually have a mechanism to release them at a set power threshold. Snowboard bindings don't.

If you like the secure feeling a leash might provide to you, get one. there's always the off-chance that the step-in doesn't correctly close without you noticing, obviously that will happen after you stop searching for failure because you got used to them working every time.

Slightly related sidenote: the most hilarious thing i've seen this season was a softbooter kicking his board in front of him on a long flat track. Then he gave it a bigger kick, ran after and jumped onto the board.

He proceeded to surf for 5m looking mighty cool, then he slipped. He fell backwards, giving the board a mighty boost forward and to the right. Off it went over the side, where a 30m steepish drop was lurking.

You should've seen his face :D

Technically, i don't see why you would need a leash under any circumstances. I've never seen skiers leash their ski, and those actually have a mechanism to release them at a set power threshold. Snowboard bindings don't.
most skis have little prongs that are intended to arrest the ski on the snow when no boot is engaged in the binding.

the general reasoning behind snowboarders being leashed to their board or bindings is to stop it hurtling off into the distance and killing/maiming someone/everyone, should there be a need to detach from the board while on any sort of incline.

Front binding can get released accidentally while on the lift. And God knows how much I'll have to cough up if that happens and then the board slides down the hill and injures someone. Serious injury means several hundreds of thousands dollars in damage and no leash cord means defendant will be guilty of negligence as well and it will make the whole case more difficult to defend. The chance of release may be really low but doesn't mean it will never happen. Leash cords cost 10 to 20 bucks and it can potentially save you hundreds of thousands of dollars. I put in leash cords all the time but each to their own I guess.

More info on ski collision/injury cases: http://www.skilaw.com/

I've had a board w/step-ins come off on the lift from adjusting pant cuff and absentmindedly pulling the cable to get it lined up properly in the boot cuff. I've seen the toe cam on standard bindings catch on the end of the footrest bar and almost come open. If you don't think there's anyway the lever on the heel piece can catch on anything, don't worry about it. Personally, I'd just wear a leash to be sure.

Thanks everyone! I'll wear a leash my first time out until I get more comfortable with these bindings and build some confidence.

Last thing I want to do is accidentally release my bindings on the chairlift and spend the afternoon hiking to my board.

Much appreciated - can't wait to get on the hill tomorrow.

-Rob

Last trip up was my first on the HB's and I did not use one because the one I had wasnt long enough to clip to anything on the boot. I was slightly nervous as I have seen run away boards, but their was a fair amount of boards without any restraint.

howdy orob

always wear a leash!... don't be the dumbass... **** happens... if riding a big board

and it gets loose it could cause alot of damage to someone... please don't be the guy...

i have seen a few runaway boards, even a double ejection softbooter luckly board did not go far.

wear a leash!...

And buckle your boots too! ;)

My favorite is seeing the occasional child's ski with the boot still in it flying down the hill - no leashes for those! That always means there is some child with a very cold foot getting off on one ski at the top. A few of those have almost killed lifties at Snow King, as everything funnels down to the bottom of the chair on the beginner side. :nono: (I have never seen an adult lose a boot with ski or board attached - but I wouldn't want to be the first!)

Orob, welcome to the darkside and have fun your first day out! :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

Haha. Thank you two_ravens - will set the bar low and consider it a success if the boots stay on the feet.

Any beginning binding angles good to start with? 60/40 front to rear make sense as a beginning point?

Well, if it were me (and it was me a few years ago) I would have the angles a little closer to each other - I think i started around 50/45. So - maybe 60/55, or 60/50, or 55/50, or 55/45.... Nowdays I run my angles about 3 to 5 degrees different - 62/58 usually. But whatever feels comfortable to you. It's the comfort and ease of motion for your knees and hips that matter here, not mine. :)

I love my leashes on my alpine boards, they make carrying multiple decks back to the car way more comfortable and efficient.

I have actually had my leash catch my board from falling off the chairlift at Whistle last year- a skier that was on the lift with me inadvertently opened the front bail of my binding by swinging their ski back and forth.

Nice. Have the leash on there - oddly thought the same thing that it would make carrying the board easier. Still trying to decide if my bindings are high enough off the board to set the rear one at 15 degrees. Worries the toe side will boot out though. This 40 degree deal, at least on the rear, seems mighty far forward! Should I just give it a go for the day tomorrow - think I'll be surprised at how much it helps to get the board on edge.

I actually never thought I would need one but still did because lifties at my mountain were obsessed 2 years ago, and would systematically check all snowboarders. Anyways, I found out 2 weeks ago that I'm glad I had one. It was particularly warm that day and my F2's got a little looser than usual and for some odd reason, the foot rest of the safety bar caught the bail just on the sweet spot. My board was suddenly hangin' from my leg! Glad I didn't decapitate somebody below the chair cuz I keep my board razor sharp!

I love my leashes on my alpine boards, they make carrying multiple decks back to the car way more comfortable and efficient.

I have actually had my leash catch my board from falling off the chairlift at Whistle last year- a skier that was on the lift with me inadvertently opened the front bail of my binding by swinging their ski back and forth.

Did the little twerp make much of a crater?

I actually never thought I would need one but still did because lifties at my mountain were obsessed 2 years ago, and would systematically check all snowboarders. Anyways, I found out 2 weeks ago that I'm glad I had one. It was particularly warm that day and my F2's got a little looser than usual and for some odd reason, the foot rest of the safety bar caught the bail just on the sweet spot. My board was suddenly hangin' from my leg! Glad I didn't decapitate somebody below the chair cuz I keep my board razor sharp!

Thanks Kasko - I ended up using the leash and it actually made a nice shoulder strap when hiking off Chair 14 at Mammoth. I set my binding angles lower and it definitely made a significant difference in the trees - actually like the hardboots in the pow.

I have to say the Intec FAST heals were a pain though. I had trouble getting the rear to engage without having a perfectly flat place to stand. Considering getting some TD2's for next season...

I've never seen skiers leash their ski, and those actually have a mechanism to release them at a set power threshold.

If you're using AT skis without brakes on the binders, you use a leash. It's bad enough trying to find braked skis in powder, but without brakes you're stuffed : last week, kiddie of 9 or 10 managed to plant the tip of her ski in the arrival of my lift. The rear of her rental binding (the bit with the brakes on it) came out of its mounting rather than releasing properly, and the rest of her ski disappeared downhill at about mach 10. It didn't hit anyone, thankfully, instead planting itself firmly in one of the mattresses around the 3rd pylon down.

As has been said elsewhere in the thread, skis generally have brakes, which is why they don't need a leash. Boards don't, and I have 6 stitches in my right shin this evening due to the fact - coming back from work, going up the final draglift, some tosser was "sledding" on his board next to it, it got away from him and hit me. I got stitched, he got his pass removed and gets to pay for the doctor's work. And my leg hurts like hell.

There's no reason *not* to use a leash, but plenty of reasons why you should.