Note to New Members ×

Loveland

Hey all, I will be in boulder and the ski areas thurs/fri/sat. I was planning on doing loveland thurs and friday and then we're open for where we go on saturday.

1) How is loveland for carving this year? I have only ridden Copper, WP and Eldora. From what I'm reading it's a total no-frills area, which I dig. I'm worried about ice (from wind blown slopes) and painfully slow lifts... I can't seem to get a straight answer on this place - can't tell if the "negatives" are just the locals trying to discourage tourists or if I will find some nice carving runs there. Price is an issue for me, but I have some wiggle room.

2) open for any resort saturday....where should we go? is it worth getting up super early and fighting I70 traffic for Vail?

All responses are welcomed - I know this is a last-minute request :rolleyes:

Hey all, I will be in boulder and the ski areas thurs/fri/sat. I was planning on doing loveland thurs and friday and then we're open for where we go on saturday.

Maybe consider going to Eldora on Thursday or Friday and Loveland on Saturday. If you hit Loveland on a Saturday, you will be more likely to encounter other carvers - granted, leave early to avoid the heavy traffic going up I-70.

can't tell if the "negatives" are just the locals trying to discourage tourists or if I will find some nice carving runs there.

;) -- There's a reason why there's typically a flock/gaggle/herd/drove/swarm of carvers at Loveland on Saturdays and Sundays.

P.S. Loveland Sucks!

1) How is loveland for carving this year? I have only ridden Copper, WP and Eldora. From what I'm reading it's a total no-frills area, which I dig. I'm worried about ice (from wind blown slopes) and painfully slow lifts... I can't seem to get a straight answer on this place - can't tell if the "negatives" are just the locals trying to discourage tourists or if I will find some nice carving runs there. Price is an issue for me, but I have some wiggle room.

Hey Nick,

Lovey is a fun place, no frills, all the lifts are fixed grip, and we are all fairly sarcastic. We do have a slight attitude problem at times, sort of a reverse snobbishness for some of the other skiers and riders who look down at our beloved little mountain until they invade on a powder day. What you will find at Loveland is a bunch of carving geeks who just want to ride hard, good snow, very little ice, wind, and an occaisionally severiously cold day.

What you wont find are 20 dollar burgers, high speed quads, starbucks, people handing out cookies, escalators, 3 mile long runs....

The carving has been excellent so far this year, bring your longest board

You will find most of us on sat/sun, 7:30 am at the wedge bar,miss us there, 8:30 lift one

mario

Mario,

Thanks for the reply. It's my girlfriend and me going. We aren't picky and don't really care for the ...excuse my french...bull**** of the big resorts (busses, 30 minute lift lines, $4.00 bottles of water and as you said, the infamous $20 burger). Your attitude is exactly the attitude I take here at home, lol, no explanation needed :P

Unfortunately my biggest board is a Donek FC 171 (11-13m sidecut)(unfortunately it's not bigger, not that it's a donek, this thing rocks)...maybe I'll stop by the bomber store and demo something crazy :) Regardless, I shouldn't have a problem having fun :)

Well Loveland is looking better and better, and for 120 for 4 tickets...that's a good price anywhere you go. I can't do "lovey" on saturday b/c my cousin who lives in boulder (skier) is joining us and will most likely want to do something expensive/big mountain.

Extremecarver - I wish I could meet up with you. I have been working hard on my EC/rotation technique but could definitely use some pointers. We did eldora a lot last year and I'm itching to try some place new. Keep me posted on where you'll be, maybe it will work.

Thank you all. Any specific trails/runs worth doing or avoiding?

Get a map, I am gonna give you some runs to hit. But first, never take #2 from the base, your leg will fall off. Lift 1>spillway or catwalk,>mambo>#6 or midpoint reload of 2. Off of 2, firebowl to firecut, or to drifter. Off of 6 hit roulette, nice pitch, gets narrow by the park. If Its clear, go up chair 9 to the ridge, the veiws are amazing, come down rookie road , not a great crving run, but thats not why you are there. Off of 1, hit spillway and richards. If the run under chair 4, scrub is groomed, sack up and do it Take the short bus to the valley, and hit lift 3, and ride switchback, one of 2 fis rated runs over there.

Go back to the basin, go to the rat(Rathskeller) and get a cocoporter if they havent run out yet. Stop at tommyknockers in Idaho springs on the way down for another beer.

Leave stupid early on saturday to avoid morning traffic

Ride hard, have fun

mario

Some of us do ride during the week. This is what it looked liked today with Barb and I being the only hardbooters on the mt. This is actually steeper than it looks on Roulette under chair 6. This was one of the better carving days this season with blue skies and good snow, not too soft, not too hard. Mario's tips are good. I may be there on Thursday, if so I will look for you, however it looks more like a pow day than a carving day at this point.post-6992-141842386064_thumb.jpg

Nick, you have to weigh the pros and cons. You've heard all the negatives; but weighing mightily against all that, the 900 pound gorilla in the PRO corner, is the wind! No contest.

You'll love it. Try to convince your skier to go to Loveland on Saturday so you can ride with the carving crew. I mean, don''t say it that way; talk about the wind or some other attraction.

Take some turns for me.

GDI i just posted this long reply and it didn't show up. TL;DR: arne, we will definitely be there on thursday. I will take pics and video and it will be awesomeness. Mario - thanks for the tips - I was mostly referring to the beer but you pointed out some trails for me to ride, too, which is a bonus!

Nick --

one more point on loveland: a great crew of carvers.

having said that, i hope to get to beaver creek on saturday for

a few hours of carving (if the weather cooperates). let me know

if that's of interest. i can save you a few bucks with my pass, but

keep in mind beaver creek is $$$$$$.

and for us, great groomers.

Had an awesome time. Sitting in DIA now, though..snowed in. Sucks I couldn't have stayed for another day with this storm. We did Loveland thursday and saturday, a-basin on friday. Loveland was great, Richard's Run was like..heaven haha. A-basin also has that long, super wide groomer going from the top to the bottom, we did that a lot - so much fun. I only saw one other carver, John, who I met yesterday morning in the loveland parking lot.

The bowl coming down from the poma lift at loveland was sick - no carving up there obviously but I hit tons of untracked snow along the rocky areas there - risky but very fun. See you all next year!

Nick - nice to meet you (briefly). Carving was great on Saturday until the crowds hit (11:30 or so). Looks like they got another 4" new for Sunday. I didn't make it up but it probably would have been good non-carving. The other downside is that when Denver gets hit by a winter snow, everybody heads to the mountains. The news showed that it was taking >3 hours to get home from Vail. I-70 traffic sucks.

Hope to see you again next year.

- John