Note to New Members ×

NICE 2013 Carving Event

Pusbag

Well, we're back in Whitefish now. We had a great Saturday, but then couldn't corral everyone into going back out Sunday. The verdict from the two hardbooters among us is that Schweitzer is a fantastic carving resort. Sorry we didn't hook up with anyone; I just figured we'd see someone else carving eventually. I should have called, but I forget that you listed you number, Russ.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a little pre-event venue review. If you're on the fence about whether to check out carving at Schweitzer, just do it. I thought Whitefish is a good carving hill, but I think the North Idaho guys have use beat on the number of good steep groomed runs.

Right off the bat we asked at the ticket window where a good steep long groomer was, and they sent us to Kaniksu in the Outback Bowl for our first run. Whoa! A steep narrow start (nailed it!) and then a long as heck carve fest down to the Stella lift. What a great way to start the day. Next we hit Cathedral, then to the front were we hit Pend Orellie, White Lightning, and Stiles repeatedly. I don't recall being at a resort with so many groomed black diamonds. Except for Cathedral, we were throwing ourselves down black runs all day and loving it. They must do a lot of winch grooming here.

It helped that the snow on Saturday was excellent for carving. Firm and strong, but not icy. The only run that wouldn't let itself be conquered was A Chute off the Lakeview triple. The right side was a bit soft and kept blowing out. Tried it three times, but I couldn't get a clean run the length of it. Had fun trying though. :)

Oh yes, it helped that we had good visibility. Though things started out flat with a bit of rime, it quickly gave way to an inversion. Here are some pics (thanks to Sarah for bringing a good camera along).

post-1861-141842379714_thumb.jpg

post-1861-141842379693_thumb.jpg

post-1861-14184237971_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnasmo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

P.S.

Although the resort has great terrain and a nice village, the town of Sandpoint felt pretty sleepy after dark. Only a handful of bars, and half of them are smoking bars, so consider bringing a change of cloths just for that, or better yet, stay up on the mountain if you can and save yourself the 9 mile drive. We were downtown on Friday and Saturday nights, and it was a ghost town. Where does everyone go? Coeur d'Alene?

Hey Tae, glad you'll be making it out again this year! I'll get in Wednesday night, staying at the Days Inn. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again, and maybe hitting up you and Steve Pro for a few more pointers ;)

Dan -

Looking forward to riding with you again.

I've got zero days so far, and more than likely my first day of the season will be at NICE, so I'm not sure how well I'll be riding. But looking forward to hanging out with everyone.

Tae

P.S.

Although the resort has great terrain and a nice village, the town of Sandpoint felt pretty sleepy after dark. Only a handful of bars, and half of them are smoking bars, so consider bringing a change of cloths just for that, or better yet, stay up on the mountain if you can and save yourself the 9 mile drive. We were downtown on Friday and Saturday nights, and it was a ghost town. Where does everyone go? Coeur d'Alene?

1. http://www.mickduffs.com/ :)

till 10pm Fri & Sat

2. The 219 LLC is the place you go with a change of clothes, pack of smokes, and looking for fisticuffs with a local. :nono:

219 North 1st Avenue, Sandpoint, ID

(208) 263-5673 ‎

open till god knows when or until you cant stand.

3. And My Ultimate Fave! Great atmosphere, great Live music on Fri & Sat, great COLD beer and great warm food, PLUS legitimate shuffleboard tables upstairs (have spent hours up there)!!! also non-smoking. :1luvu:

Eichardt's Pub

212 Cedar Street

Sandpoint, ID 83864

(208) 263-4005

post-10676-141842380338_thumb.jpg

Here is the yellow pages of a few others, some I have been to some not, but are all promising.

http://www.yellowpages.com/sandpoint-id/bars?from=SEMPS_GGL_Search_acct=Branding_Dynamicads_ad_level=High&gclid=CJSY6sev3rQCFQmCQgoddRkAIQ

Ok folks NICE starts on Monday so who is ready to carve up the schwizz like a hot turkey in a jail cell.

Me...ME... ME

well, uh.... a turkey in a jail cell? hmmm.... you guys getting some snow? PLEASE just pack it down for me...... can I just go without any powder days? I'm not whining or asking for too much, am I?

Looking to be up there on Monday and Tuesday and possibly Friday.Been off snow for two weeks with back injury(serious spasms/misalignment) but I wll be getting back on snow tommorrow at Silver.Brian Sanders,the Body Mechanic,in CDA has got me and my back-back on track:-),but it took some seriouly painful manipulation and deep pressure pointing to make it happen.I definitey should not have been putting off this treatment.A real wakeup acall to develop better core strength! See you on Monday! Russ,I pm'd you on FB.

post-8758-141842380604_thumb.jpg

Here is this years shirt a picture of the back. The front has a logo on it. You can order any kind of shirt you want like Tanya is getting a cutesy girly shirt and Kram has a regular short sleeve shirt. I can also get other stuff like hats,coolers,coats, etc. Just let me know what you want and i,ll get you a price. This long sleeve is $20.

Probably drinking coffee at Cabin Mountain Coffee in the Lake View Lodge at 7:30. Mite make a Musical Chair lap at 8:30. Be at the clock tower at 8:50. Then I will lap the Basin Express twice.

Ticket widow opens at 8:00

Mark 208-597-0899

Russ 208-290-8023

So you will need to see Russ in the daylodge to get a discount ticket voucher for a lift ticket. You will also need to sign a liability waiver to. The ticket office opens at 8am and so due the early load privledges. Please show up early if particpating in early loads. I would like to ride to but need to process the paperwork before i can come play. You will get a orange sticker for early load verification. We will then be able to load the great escape quad and head to the Stella chair on the backside. We can ride every run off of Stella except zip down and cathedral aisle due to races so please avoid those two runs. If you have any questions about anything please ask us. Russ 208290-8023 Mark 208-597-0899 Dane 208-818-5987.

Boy Dan the gang missed you today with perfect carving conditions and oh so few people to dodge around. The vis was sucky for the first two hours but cleared up decently enough for the rest of the day. Sure hope the sun comes out like there predicting. Everyone had fun will post some proof tomorrow.