Note to New Members ×

Anyone ever remove the 'teeth' in a TD3 cant disc?

Corey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the delay, got some pre-Xmas errands done on the way back from the ski hill.

I warmed up on old trusty, the 167 VSR with stock TD3s. Then I hopped on the Madd 158 with the 'Dyck Cripplers' . It broke. Well, the carbon butterfly popped off the Madd 158 in the first turn. It kind of felt like stepping on a crumbling wood bridge as I decambered it. *crackle* POP! I guess Madd's adhesive was never rated for -25C (-13F)! Damn.

I recall someone did a very exhaustive 'how to' post on their process or re-gluing the butterfly on their classic 158, but I can't find it now. Can anyone find that?

I swapped the modified bindings to the Angrry, but the groom was a little too soft to have much fun on that board. So I only took about 10 runs on the 'Dyck Cripplers' . (This is the prairies; one run = 50 seconds) The bindings didn't spin, and it was a bear to peel the E-rings off the board after only one run.

The next day of riding is about a week away for me. I'll throw the modified bindings on the 182 NSR and go to the 'big' local hill for some true Black runs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two days of riding in - no movement of the bindings yet.

I thought I was going to have issues on the new Coiler textured topsheet as TD3 E-rings don't stick to it at all. I also swapped the bindings to a different board at just below freezing with snow falling; I did the same casual wipe of the snow that I would with any binding but I didn't go to any great lengths to get the area surgically clean. No movement even with that combination.

I can't give this the complete seal of approval yet as I haven't had any notable crashes. Some chatter, sliding out, etc. I'll keep monitoring, but so far this looks good! Super handy for those with:

1. Multiple board widths

2. Shared bindings across those multiple boards

3. Smaller feet/UPZ boots where the angle adjustment bolts are covered by the toe and heel blocks

If you already have one set of bindings per board, don't waste your time with this.

No Xrays of broken bones no mangled board. I bet if Gromel did this we would have roasted him on a spit by now! See I have sense of humor. Thanks for potentially wrecking a perfectly good piece of Bomber equipment for the cause. Now make it so you can rotate it and lock in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Third day of riding on a short Coiler Angrry - no movement again. I haven't had any spinning rag doll crashes as avoiding those is kind of my goal. ;)

This weekend I plan to spend a significant chunk of my time with the modified cant discs on the Coiler EC with the super-slippery textured topsheet. I think that's the worst case as the E-ring sticks so aggressively to a smooth topsheet.

Then it's off to SES the following weekend to get some real hours on these. If anyone sees a guy with a binding spun around backwards and a spiral fracture in one or both legs, wave as you go by!

So far, my other set of TD3s is annoying in comparison. I tend to swap the modified bindings between boards much more frequently due to the time savings.

Day four on the modified bindings. The rear binding rotated 1 degree over 20 short runs, then stopped rotating for future runs. This is on very hard snow/ice on the slippery/textured Coiler topsheet. Hmm, not so good. It might spin in a big crash, which could complicate things.

I think it would be completely fine on a smooth topsheet given how tough it can be to remove the E-rings after more than a few minutes. I won't remove the rest of my bindings' teeth, but will continue to use these ones on boards with smooth topsheets. These would be awesome for demos or people that change one set of bindings across multiple boards fairly often.

Day 5, on a smooth topsheet board. Zero movement in 4 hours of riding (not continuous) in -25C weather on very hard groom. Had some big chatter a couple times and a few crashes where I lost the edge and had the board bouncing before I consciously lifted it off the snow.

I'll keep riding these on boards with smooth topsheets. They'll be the bindings that go on any boards of different widths.