Note to New Members ×

Chrome plating

Jeffrey Day

Hey everyone!

I have a question. I am restoring my 30+ year old bmx bike and I need some help. Most of the goodies on the bike are coming very clean with Mothers Mag Wheel polish and good ol' elbow grease. But unfortunately, the wheels have been the hardest hit by father time.

The hubs are fine. And the spokes and nipples are a lost cause and will be replaced. But the Araya 7X rims, which are chrome plated alloy, are all pitted, flaking and generally look terrible. I would rather reduce, reuse and recycle(no pun intended) and re-chrome just the rims.

I have called a bunch of places in my area with little success. And the success that I've had has been an astronomical amount of money to do the work.

So my question is : Does anyone work in the chrome plating field or have any contacts in the field that I could get ahold of to help me with my pet project?

Much appreciated!

Edited by Jeffrey Day
spelling

Unless you are doing museum restoration replating is not really a wise option financially speaking. New old stock may be available with a search of older established sporting good stores or interweb. Mold makers "machine shops" may know of specialized buisnesses that do this type of work but not known commercially. Any buisness that does plating in now subject to reems of enviromental concerns so cost will always be the deal breaker. ( Professor Beckman word of the day "extant" i had to look it up.) If your mind isn't expanding your dying. I learn something new everytime i log onto bomber.

Hey everyone!

I have a question. I am restoring my 30+ year old bmx bike and I need some help. Most of the goodies on the bike are coming very clean with Mothers Mag Wheel polish and good ol' elbow grease. But unfortunately, the wheels have been the hardest hit by father time.

The hubs are fine. And the spokes and nipples are a lost cause and will be replaced. But the Araya 7X rims, which are chrome plated alloy, are all pitted, flaking and generally look terrible. I would rather reduce, reuse and recycle(no pun intended) and re-chrome just the rims.

I have called a bunch of places in my area with little success. And the success that I've had has been an astronomical amount of money to do the work.

So my question is : Does anyone work in the chrome plating field or have any contacts in the field that I could get ahold of to help me with my pet project?

Much appreciated!

Just an idea... go to this site and check out plating at home with Electroless Nickel. it would look very nice if you prep the surface nice. can be bright or satin -- I think your choice. appearance wise not much difference in chrome or nickel.

http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/nickel-plating-kits/electroless-nickel-plating-kits.html

I do a lot of design for clients that we use electroless nickel.. we like it. ( it is done at a plating shop -- not this home process )

I looked into getting some car wheels chromed recently. I was told that because the process is so toxic, there are very few places in the US that chrome anymore and if you can find one, it will be very expensive. Electroless nickel does look nice and I think it is pretty durable.

As others have already said, it will be hard to find someone to re-chrome plate your rims. Electroless nickle is an option, but will be slightly more amber in color than chrome plating.

The easiest option would be:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u6d8eKvegLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 5 weeks later...

Cool bike Jeff, I had black and gold factory Kuwarara, then graduated to a Haro Freestyler, bought one of the replicas Haro put out a few years back. loved bmx.

Rode the 24" wheel quad angle to the park with my three year old daughter today after reading this thread. Post pics when you're done!

Went to the 2013 Cannondale dealer launch about 4 weeks ago in Deer Valley (booooo!!!!! I know) and I was having breakfast with a guy, it turns out to be Hollywood Mike Miranda!!!!!

Good luck with the project

Jeff,

Sweet ride! Brings back some good memories. We used to ride our BMX bikes from town to town, stopping only at every 7-11 to fuel up on sugar.

Dude, you so need some "Tuff Wheels" and Oakley grips. Just make sure you get home in time to watch Night Rider.

Jeff,

Sweet ride! Brings back some good memories. We used to ride our BMX bikes from town to town, stopping only at every 7-11 to fuel up on sugar.

Dude, you so need some "Tuff Wheels" and Oakley grips. Just make sure you get home in time to watch Night Rider.

Yeah we too would ride over to the next town which has, and still has, a bmx track! Fuel of Champions, a can of Coca Cola and a candy bar!

Tuff Wheels? Please...they were too heavy for my taste! They did look cool though! And yes it's rockin' Oakley B-2 grips right there in that picture! Not that you can see it in the pic!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cool bike. If your rims are pitted too much they will not look good if you get them replated? The old plating has to be removed completely before they can be replated. Plating work is expensive because the metal has to be returned to smooth condition before plating is re done. I know what is invovled because I work in the band instrument trade and have toured a plating plant that does this. I am not qualified to do plating work. Plating has to be removed with chemicals . It would be cheaper to buy new rims if you can find them? Replating will not hide flaws if they cannot be removed? You might be able to find rims as lots of people are restoring old bikes and some parts are available?