Note to New Members ×

Big Road Trip - seeking suggestions, ideas, advice, possible lodging, etc.

FTA2R

Hey All,

So I'm a federal contractor and unfortunately our customer can no longer afford us. Looks like they are closing down our account (at least for a while). I'm quite overdue for a vacation and have wanted to see this beautiful land of ours- ideally on a big road trip- for some years. I'm beginning to seriously contemplate a road trip. I have a feeling a number of you have done big road trips. Does anyone have any suggestions for themes or destinations? I feel like it would be good for a bit of "soul cleansing," too. DC is a very go-getter, fast past, competitive town...it would be nice to not be on the Internet and not have any concerns for at least a week or so.

I'd likely be leaving from the DC area. I've been to most of the east coast and a number of place in Cali. I haven't been to most of the midwest, southwest, deep south, or pac NW.

I'd really like to see some famous sites (maybe Mt. Rushmore and Grand Canyon) and parks, or just some great scenery.

I don't see myself on the road for more than 10 days and I'd be fine with driving to one coast and flying back home (if I do decide to go coast to coast).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd likely be going solo.

Oh, if you're willing to host me for a night, that would be awesome! I'd be a polite guest.

I've been pretty quiet on this site for a few seasons now, but a number of other members that I've ridden with or done transactions with can vouch for me (as well as good ole Uncle Sam!).

Barry

Lucky you. Sounds like a great opportunity.

I drove the coast road/101 from Vancouver to San Fran 18 months ago, and loved it. Unfortunately it was a rush trip, but what I saw of Oregon and Washington was spectacular, and I really want to go back in the summer.

I finally get to do my trip through the canyonlands this October, and I can't wait. Friends pics of the national parks there (Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Yellowstone) are incredible.

10 days would be just the right length of time to do either of these.

Hey Barry,

Both trips that Allee suggested are awesome, though if you're spending time in the desert, you might want to wait until the fall when it's a little bit cooler. My biggest recommendation -- though I don't know if it's possible for you -- would be to take longer than 10 days. There's a lot to see, and a lot of area to cover...if you took 3 or 4 weeks, you could do both trips that Allee suggested.

If you wind up in Eastern Oregon at some point in your trip, the Lake Wallowa area is pretty amazing for hiking and scenery: https://www.google.com/search?q=lake+wallowa&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zNV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=K8fkT9maNKrm2QW5xNXbCQ&ved=0CGQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1298&bih=850

And you're welcome to stay if you make it to Portland, though the accommodations are less than palatial :)

Hey Barry,

Both trips that Allee suggested are awesome, though if you're spending time in the desert, you might want to wait until the fall when it's a little bit cooler. My biggest recommendation -- though I don't know if it's possible for you -- would be to take longer than 10 days. There's a lot to see, and a lot of area to cover...if you took 3 or 4 weeks, you could do both trips that Allee suggested.

If you wind up in Eastern Oregon at some point in your trip, the Lake Wallowa area is pretty amazing for hiking and scenery: https://www.google.com/search?q=lake+wallowa&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zNV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=K8fkT9maNKrm2QW5xNXbCQ&ved=0CGQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1298&bih=850

And you're welcome to stay if you make it to Portland, though the accommodations are less than palatial :)

Could not agree with Dan more. Can you take more time? The Pacific Northwest has allot to offer, friendly folks and plenty of green. This time of year is ideal. Mountains , ocean, rivers, forests, etc You are welcome to camp here. Currently I have very little finished space , but you are welcome to stay longer than a day or three. Good luck in your adventure. Bryan

Hi Barry, Dan, Bryan and Allee! I met Barry when I bought a Tierney board from him that was rightfully Bryan's (thanks Bryan). Barry is a nice guy and I'd let him stay at my house, also. That's easy for me to say because I only live an hour away from him and can be pretty certain he has no interest in staying here (:

I do ride the T board occasionally and recently switched the bushing from blue to black, forgot about the change I'd made and when I finally got around to riding it - yikes!

Pacific Coast Highway

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/california-pacific-coast-road-trip/

Never got to the "true" PCH referenced above, but as a late '60's sailorboy the coast route between LA and Santa Barbara blew my mind.

Badlands National Monument (soon to be turned over to the Lakota Sioux of Pine Ridge Reservation, hopefully!) Jump off point, little place called Scenic, South Dakota. Moonscapes, vari-colored, mind-boggling, elevated canyon vistas. On a full moon, you can easily read a book in the dead of night. Dry heat, so very bearable. Deadwood, S.D., probably the funnest, most soulful "tourist trap" I've ever been in. Sturgis, of Harley gathering fame not too far distant. Black Hills and "World Famous Wall Drug" (free coffee for missile crews & newlyweds!)

The drive from Tucson "high desert" floor (el. 2,400 ft.) to the summit of Mount Lemmon, 9,000 ft. +. Plant community succession breathtaking. See it soon; the eco-unique "sky islands" aren't happy in elevating temps.

Wherever you go, have a great adventure!!

BB

Edited by boarderboy

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I likely need to make a decision, soon. Right now, it appears that the most I could take would be 2 weeks (+/-) a few days.

PS Dave, I had almost forgotten about the Tierney board transaction! Just seems like so long ago (even though it hasn't been).

Will keep you posted.

Barry

Barry.

If it was me. I would ask first where is it I have not been and then how many options for "Loops" are available from that area.

Example. Fly to Portland Oregon. Do some day trip loops to hit some of the highlights. Then drive to a bigger "Loop" like Mt Shasta, Redwoods, Oregon Caves, Crater Lake, circle back up to the High Dessert of eastern Oregon , Mt Hood, Hood River, the Gorge and back to Portland. So many options in those circles. Then head out cross country, Idaho, Montana , Minnesota, Etc etc. Lots of Bomber members on that route. I promise you would be blown away by their insight and generosity.

http://traveloregon.com/trip-ideas/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g28958-Oregon-Vacations.html

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/or

http://www.el.com/to/oregon/

15 plus days, now you are talking. More is better, once you get going and you are in a rhythm of sorts I think you will not want to stop and wish you had squeezed out every day possible. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

All,

After at least a few hours of research and talking with some people, it looks like a blueprint is taking shape.

I was going to do the Route 66 thing and would love to say that I drove across the country, but a family member convinced me that time visiting some national parks would be a better idea, and I agree.

My plan is to start in either Albuquerqe (or perhaps fly to Durango), hit the Monumment Valley Navajo Park (pics look amazing), then Grand Canyon, then YOSEMITE (I really want to see Half Dome!), then all the way west to the coast and pick up PCH / 101 and drive it straight up to the Seattle, as the scenery is supposed to be stunning.

I was originally going to drive the High Road from Santa Fe to Taos (got good reviews), but I just don't know if it's worth it.

My question now is should I travel through Death Valley? I do have a bit of a fascination with deserts and isolated areas, but I'll be doing this alone and "am not looking to be Survivorman," LOL....or should I just drive straight from Grand Canyon to Yosemite?

So, it looks like I'll be traveling to Oregon and Washington for the first time!post-570-141842369473_thumb.jpg

Offbeat historical or cultural stuff can be cool. One of the most interesting things about Las Vegas besides the Dam is the Atomic Testing Museum. The drive up the Inyo County in CA should take you right past the Manzanar War Internment Camp, the only camp with a top notch museum run by the National Park Service.

Finally, don't forget to orient yourself properly in Albuquerque.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e8TUwHTfOOU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Nice, that trip sounds great!

Definitely agree that Yosemite is well worth a visit. If you're planning on camping, you should try to lock down a camp site reservation now -- they get pretty slammed in the summer there, and it may already be too late to get a camp site in the valley.

The hike to the top of Half Dome is amazing if you're looking to do something a little more ambitious -- it's about 20 miles and I remember doing it in about 12 hours as an 19-year old. Wonder how long it would take me today. There are campsites along the way if you want to break it into a 2-day trip, but again, you should look into what you need in the way of reservations there. (Those are backcountry sites, so not sure how they work.)

The Big Sur will blow your mind. If you can manage it, spend a night camping at the Kirk Creek campground - I think this is the most scenic spot I've ever camped. <a href="http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=1627&mode=sequential&flags=0">Pics here,</a> some information below.

Kirk Creek Campground (805) 434-1996 This Family Campground is approximately 45 miles north of Cambria, CA and 60 miles south of Carmel, CA. Located on the west side of Hwy. 1 overlooking the Pacific Ocean, this campground is situated on bluff with fantastic views of the Big Sur coastline. The sites are spacious and have a picnic table, fire ring and pedestal barbeque. There is one trail providing beach access from the campground, or you can drive 4 miles to Sand Dollar Beach, the largest sandy beach in the Big Sur area. It is a very popular spot for surfing, fishing (fishing permits are required for those over 16), swimming, exploring, sunbathing, etc. The beach is dog friendly as long as they are on a leash and they are cleaned up after. Directly across the highway from Kirk Creek campground is the Vicente Flats trailhead leading into the Ventana Wilderness. Within a short drive many trails can be accessed for hiking, backpacking, bicycling, hunting and horseback riding. These trails offer a variety of experiences including water falls, groves of Redwood Trees, breathtaking views, meadows and streams. The sites can be used for tenting or RVers. All roads are paved, water spigots are located throughout the campground and there are flush toilets and sinks in the restrooms. From November to February whales are migrating up or down the coast and sightings from the campground are frequent. The temperature is mild year round with the average in the winter being 64 degrees. October-May is a great time to visit whether you are tenting or RVing and offers fewer crowds. Forest Service is enforcing the 2 car per site maximum at the campground. There are first come/first serve sites or you can make reservations up to 6 months in advance at www.recreation.gov or by calling (877) 444-6777

All,

Tomorrow is day 5 and I'm hitting Yosemite. Ive driven 1100 miles, got one ticket, and have been to Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and now Cali. Drove through large part of nevada today...very remote. Was within 20 miles of area 51. Monument valley Utah was amazing. In lee vining for the night, right across mono lake.

PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU'RE ON THE OREGON OR WA COASTS AND COULD HOST ME FOR A NIGHT. I'm slightly ahead of schedule but tomorrow will be challenging bc I'll be doing more backtracking. Need to average 200 miles/day to make Seattle in a week.

Barry / the road warrior

Where you at Barry? How goes it?

Not on the coast but if you end up near Portland, let me know.

The route map shows you coming inland. Not sure why, the coast is cooler and prettier.

Bryan

Changed course. HEADED TO PORTLAND NOW.

Be there fri evening for at least tonight and tomorrow

emsil me if you wanna meet for a beer or host me foe the

night!

All,

I'm happy to report that I'm home safe and sound.

All in all, it was an awesome trip and I got to see and do a ton of stuff.

Final Stats: ~ 2800 miles over 12 days (though my trip was actually 13 days/12 nights), 6 states, 1 speed ticket (from an ******* AZ cop).

HIGHLIGHTS:

1. Monument Valley, UT

2. Big Sur, CA (esp. the awesome waterfall at Pfieffer Park)

3. Beatiful CA farm country (this was unexpected)

4. Santa Cruz Boardwalk - so fun! I was like a big kid. Felt like a little of SoCal in NorCal.

5. Very nice inn in Jenner, CA (that came at just the right time, as I was tired of ****ty motels).

6. Seeing old friends (2 people that I hadn't seen in > 12 years)

7. Hiking in Yosemite (Hiking Lambert Dome and meeting some really cool people at the top who offered me all kinds of treats, including beer!; seeing Half Dome)

8. Some really good breakfasts / fresh-squeezed OJ

9. Meeting a BOL member (that I had actually had previous transactions with)

10. Getting only 1 speeding ticket.

11. Not hitting a cow that was around the corner that was impossible to see.

12. Playing in the sand dunes near Florence, OR. First I got a ride on a sand rail then I attempted to not kill myself on a quad.

13. Lots of awesome, pristine beaches along the coast.

LOWLIGHTS

1. Speeding ticket.

2. Spending a night in the car (driver's seat) in the Burger King parking lot of Castle Rock, OR (I feel sorry for anyone that lives in this town) b/c it was 3AM and I was too tired to continue driving and every hotel for miles was booked b/c of a big bike race. In the morning, I brushed my teeth behind a dumpster at the gas station across the street.

3. More than a few ****ty motels. The worst one was in Santa Cruz. Musty smell was repulsive.

4. Probably didn't bring enough clothing. I ended up buying some fresh undershirts at Walmart and paying $10 to take a shower at a truckstop (where the bathroom actually wasn't that bad).

5. Mobile hotspot on my new Driod phone didn't work well.

6. Unable to drive > 85 MPH through the Nevada dessert and other very remote areas b/c I was too concerned about a blowout.

7. Getting stuck for 20 minutes in the sand dunes on the quad. Wasting my money and energy digging out of a hole that I ultimately needed another person's help to get out of.

Edited by FTA2R

nice trip Barry. just got home today from a trip to see family in Denver (thoughts are with the victims and their families in Aurora, of course). went to Wyoming and South Dakota on a road trip that was decidedly shorter than yours. got a traffic citation in Wyoming. my kids are great travelers and loved it all, traffic stop included. i think i set a good example for them, i don't know.