Note to New Members ×

Any set up tips for Madd 158?

rjnakata

On an original 158 I mounted the front foot as far forward as possible, then set the rear foot to a comfortable width. The ride was effing amazing.

On a green sidewall 158 I mounted my front foot forward but not all the way, then set my rear foot to a comfortable width. a great ride as well.

Same as the 170- I rode it centered, but those boards, both 158 and 170 ride really well if you engage the nose early. That is easier at first if you mount slightly forward, but try different positions.
On an original 158 I mounted the front foot as far forward as possible, then set the rear foot to a comfortable width. The ride was effing amazing.

On a green sidewall 158 I mounted my front foot forward but not all the way, then set my rear foot to a comfortable width. a great ride as well.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

If it tries to whip you over the bars on a 'chattering' toeside, move the clamps back.

Best evaluated on a surface reminiscent of a cue ball.

Hmm, my "decoder ring for simpletons" yields thus: If chattering occurs during a toeside turn in such a way as to throw you forward, move the bindings back. This is best evaluated on ice...right?

I tried moving the bindings forward with mixed results. I did get some of that chatterning on the heel side, but I'm thinking it's poor weight back technique that's producing this.

rjnakata,

It's more of the disconcerting sensation that the nose of the board is climbing up the hill underneath you, such that you would trip over it as it bites and spins (clockwise for regular, anticlockwise for goofy).

And then you pitch forward into the weeds.

Testpiece ice is the stuff you find when the temps go up to, say 45 degrees one day, and then drop to zero or lower in an 8 hour time frame.

If the grippers are mounted in the right place, the board should stick. *Too far back, it will turn too slow, too far forward, 'bad' things may happen.

One cm may be the difference between awesome and unsettling.

Hpoe taht hlpes.

rjnakata,

One cm may be the difference between awesome and unsettling.

...humbling.

I do get that uphill/slip...uphill/slip sensation. I'll try moving things back a "bit."

Is it supposed to feel as if one has "stomped" on the front foot and it stuck?

Thanks a bunch.

Is it supposed to feel as if one has "stomped" on the front foot and it stuck?

Stuck and then accelerated. Though I never felt the need to exaggerate the front weighting so often associated with these boards.

You'll know the game is on, when your view of the galaxy through the front portal goes from 'points of light' to 'bright lines', regardless of surface density.

And then the peaceful feeling.

Have your balls sucurely fastened.
Stuck and then accelerated. You'll know the game is on, when your view of the galaxy through the front portal goes from 'points of light' to 'bright lines', regardless of surface density.

Now I know what I have to look forward to. I have not experienced this of yet, but I aspire to...soon.

Stuck and then accelerated. Though I never felt the need to exaggerate the front weighting so often associated with these boards.

You'll know the game is on, when your view of the galaxy through the front portal goes from 'points of light' to 'bright lines', regardless of surface density.

This might be the best worded Madd post of all time. Makes me want to design and spec again... my legs are up to it...which is more important than the brain. Because..I'd be foolish to try this again.

If I made All mountain or BX boards first..it would be easier to get fiancing from someone on teh slopes.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, this brought me flashbacks to my carving days on those Madd 158 I got. I can actually see the mesmerizing grooming lines on the slope as I haul ass and just simply be one with the board as in zen.

But galaxy? Oh my, that's out of this world and I totally dig it.

This might be the best worded Madd post of all time. Makes me want to design and spec again... my legs are up to it...which is more important than the brain. Because..I'd be foolish to try this again.

If I made All mountain or BX boards first..it would be easier to get fiancing from someone on teh slopes.

I just came home after riding 158 (red sidewall) for 2 hours. I set slightly forward front foot and back foot 20" away. WhooAh! Best runs ever.

Would you share your weight/inseam? I'm trying to get a feel for the flex (weight range) for a red sidewall. Thx.

Any update on your setup?

Anyway, do you have 170?

Well, what with my bowed legs, I think I'm going to adjust my front foot canting to zero or near zero, with 6 degree lift and give that a try. I need that front foot to be rock solid.

I've been working with Beckmann on dialing my setup. I'll also try slightly forward with about 19.5" - 20" of separation...just like you.

As for the 170, It tracks a bit better, but I think I may too need to more carefully dial the canting degrees (no micro adjustability for canting degrees is the downside of f2's I think). I'll work on modifying some wedges with the belt sander.

I too am liking the short SL board thing!