Note to New Members ×

Your mom called, and wanted me to remind you to wear your helmet!

~tb

Last January I decided to meet up with a new local buddy and road trip up to Beech Mountain. It was my first day on snow last season, and my last. I hit a little roller in a snowblower fog and dug the nose in some softish manmade. I face planted with my helmet and some huge goggles and still managed to split the skin on my right temple. Or so my buddy tells me. I remember nothing of that day, except when he dropped me off to my partner 9+ hours after my accident. 4 hours in er, 2 cat scans, and 3.5 hr drive home, plus the time it took ski patrol after I snowboarded to my car and asked him who the heck he was!

I apparently cracked up the patrollers, and the er staff, and later the 2nd er staff because apparently me with a head injury is like a drunken comedienne (after I got home and hours later couldn't stop vomiting, I got to have a third CT, and told the nurse that not only was it not my first time, but that I am a certified ski AND snowboard instructor...)

Diagnosis: Grade 2+ concussion (would have been 3 but no LOC)

initially told no physical activity for 3 days, and no activity in which i could sustain even a slight knock to the head for 2-3 weeks after cessation of symptoms. That turned out to be 3 months, because I had headaches, don't remember the 2 weeks following the accident, and had trouble finding the right words when speaking. ( That was the worst, as I have always been a pretty verbal person, and it was frustrating to be unable to just say the word "apple" if that was what I wanted, for example.That lasted the longest, still had some problems 7 months later.)

So I sat out the entire season and have a trip planned for february 6-10, 1 year and 1 month after my accident. I have already purchased 2 new helmets, and plan on taking it easy. Yay Helmets! Hope you heal quickly TB!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all,

Looks like I am off snow for a month. . . . better then some of the alternatives!

To those of you who are taking your helmets seriously post concussion, what helmets offer the best concussion protection? I was surprised that i did NOT find any consumer reports articles on this.

-Todd

> what helmets offer the best concussion protection? I was surprised that i did NOT find any consumer reports articles on this.

+1 on that!

someone (I think Consumer's Reports) did their own test of bicycle helmets, and found that a lot of the more expensive ones didn't withstand the tests as well as a few of the cheaper ones. I bought the one they found most protective, BUT it's a "one-size fits all" and is a bit too small adjusted to it largest. I suspect that affects the level of protection. Now that's the loaner.

Skier collision.

7 or 8 minute LOC according to the skier and his son.

No memory of that days riding, and most of the week prior.

ER, CAT scan, the whole nine yards (though I don't remember any of that).

Was wearing a Giro Nine.9; only slightly damaged.

Replaced with a POC competition race helmet.

Now wearing a POC Cortex DH full face.

Pretty sold on POC.

Snell has a ratings system for ski and snowboard helmets. I imagine if you buy from a major manufacturer, they are going to use those standards. My helmet's from Giro-as is my bike helmet. There'd be a huge liability on Giro's part if they used Snell standards for their bike helmets (they do) and not their winter sports helmets

I really don't like reading these accounts of head injuries. I know some of these folks and how they ride and I don't see how I can avoid being in their position (aside from not boarding). Scares me.

I think the only way one helmet could protect your head better than another would be to be physically larger to spread the deceleration over a larger distance. If we wore helmets the size of beach balls, maybe these injuries could be lessened.

Looks like POC is no longer making it with a carbon fiber outer shell. The new "Cortex Flow" has a fiberglass shell, and I suppose with the added weight they are no longer marketing it as a snow helmet. The old Cortex DH was listed in both snow and MTB helmets, though designed as a MTB helmet.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=POC+Cortex+DH&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7562661986836544926&sa=X&ei=PRAgT7OzC8fHsQKg1_StDg&ved=0CGoQ8wIwAQ

Mine is the year before they added MIPS, which lets the inner shell rotate free of the outer shell on oblique impacts. Maybe you can still find a new-old-stock POC Cortex DH MIPS. That's a top of the line brain bucket.

There are only two sizes though, S/M and L/XL. I wear a L in Giro Nine.9 and the POC Comp, a 58 cm in Leedom Scream, and a Medium in Giro Remedy full face MTB. The POC L/XL just fits; perfect with no liner/balaclava but a little tight with any extra layers. If your head needs >58 cm in other helmets, the Cortex DH L/XL is probably going to be too tight. I already had the Giro Remedy (non-carbon) for downhill MTB, but found it bulky for snow use. Even in the carbon snow version, I think the Giro Remedy would feel bulkier than the POC DH, but that's a cheaper alternative with more size options.

Thought I was done with this thread but I had complex crash at the SOS event yesterday and ended up with a broken upper arm (proximate humourous fracture) and a concussion. Lost 20 minutes or so in there so I am not entirely sure what the crash entailed but anecdotes indicate mid-air spin off some ice and fakey landing with heelside edge catch and downhill body slam. That's the end of the season for me but I am going to be in the market for a new helmet and POC is top of my list.

Hope you're recovering well tb. Once again, my sympathies...literally.

(I've already sent tb regards over email and fb)

Looks like POC is no longer making it with a carbon fiber outer shell.

Good. The stiffer the shell, the more energy transmitted to the padding/liner and your skull.

Thought I was done with this thread but I had complex crash at the SOS event yesterday and ended up with a broken upper arm (proximate humourous fracture) and a concussion. Lost 20 minutes or so in there so I am not entirely sure what the crash entailed but anecdotes indicate mid-air spin off some ice and fakey landing with heelside edge catch and downhill body slam. That's the end of the season for me but I am going to be in the market for a new helmet and POC is top of my list.

Dang, sorry to hear that Chris, was looking forward to seeing you at ECES.

Get well soon to all!

Hope you're recovering well tb. Once again, my sympathies...literally.

Sorry to hear about your accident, No surgery needed? Heal fast , take care. Bryan

Proximal Humerus Fracture

A proximal humerus fracture occurs when the ball, of the ball-and-socket shoulder joint, is broken. The fracture is actually at the top of the arm bone.

Nothing humourous about this injury. Embarrassing to get the terminology wrong but I had not had the courage to start searching it yet and i was doing the phonetic spelling thing.

Frankly, the concussion has been more worrisome. It's the mood changes I don't like. Can't be a good thing. Hey tb, how"s your head?

No ECES for this boy.

Hey tb, how"s your head?

Every day is better than the last, but I still have a LONG way to go.

Still don't remember the 20 hours before the accident or 10 thereafter.

All of January is cloudy, but getting clearer

Still no idea what happened. Might snowshoe up tomorrow to where it happened to see if I can recall anything.

Still wake up every morning not knowing what day it is

Having difficulty commuting things to memory even today.

Post concussion headaches are a $&@!

Can't concentrate on anything without getting a headache.

Mood swings are present and very real.

Good stuff though, took my 3 year old out on the bunny hill today. It was good for both of us.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement.

...is one of the medical terms for it. Don't be flattered Todd, they haven't named a syndrome after you. It's 'traumatic brain injury'.

Let go of the incident. I know why it matters to you cause I've been through it but in the bigger scheme it just doesn't matter.

Its the gentle things that are helpful: children, mellow music, a favourite book. Take it slowly. Watch yourself reacting and keep yourself in check.

~tb and csquared, very sorry to hear of your injuries. I've been through enough concussions to know how much fun you're not having. Hope you both heal well and quickly.

It's a bit late at this stage, but if you or anyone you know suffers another tbi be sure to ask your doctors about progesterone therapy - it appears to be the most promising treatment for tbi to come around in a long time. Just did a google search and it still seems to be in research stage, but you might get lucky and be able to get the treatment.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100219204407.htm

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD008409/progesterone-for-traumatic-brain-injury

Progesterone creams would of course be much less effective than the IV progesterone tbi patients are receiving in the studies, but is readily available. The last time I smacked my head on the snow (lost about 5 min. memory and as usual had slurred speech and some aphasia afterward) I went home and in 2 days used 2 tubes of Natpro cream, which delivered 4000 mg USP progesterone topically (I've heard estimates that actual absorption rate is about 50%.) I had the fastest recovery from a blow to the head that I've had in years. I know self medicating isn't technically recommended, but progesterone is very safe and I really felt it made a huge difference for me. (Just be careful what's in the cream - lots of them have lots of other ingredients that you don't need. Natpro and Progestelle seem to be the most pure and potent products I can find.) So.... just a something that seems to have helped me.

Take your time healing. Pay attention to what helps you most, your injury is unique and what helped someone else may not be the best for you. You may need a lot of sleep, and rest periods throughout your day - if so, please respect that need (it's too easy to feel like you have to push yourself.)

Wishing you both speedy healing......

Brain damage

Previous studies have shown that progesterone supports the normal development of neurons in the brain, and that the hormone has a protective effect on damaged brain tissue. It has been observed in animal models that females have reduced susceptibility to traumatic brain injury and this protective effect has been hypothesized to be caused by increased circulating levels of estrogen and progesterone in females.[63] A number of additional animal studies have confirmed that progesterone has neuroprotective effects when administered shortly after traumatic brain injury.[64] Encouraging results have also been reported in human clinical trials.[65][66]

The mechanism of progesterone protective effects may be the reduction of inflammation that follows brain trauma

Progesterone may affect male behavior