Note to New Members ×

Sugarloaf Eruption

Jack M

Did you do any post processing at all? I'm amazed the auto WB worked so well in those conditions. The small amount of snow that isn't reflecting pink is really, really white.

Actually the snow is quite blue. If I make it white (well, grey) the picture becomes less exciting, and also not like what I saw.

5DII, 35L, exposure compensation -2/3. Shot in raw, "developed" in Canon Digital Photo Professional. I just tweaked contrast (-1) and saturation (+1) a little bit.

Nice shot, more surprising you have snow. So far the best Ontario has to offer is shaved ice. Better than nothing but it sure tests your nerve week after week. Even the skiers are complaining but i don't think they have much in the way of sympathy from boarders after all they have two edges to drag across the man made (aaaahem) snow. What time of day was the picture taken ?

Nice shot, more surprising you have snow. So far the best Ontario has to offer is shaved ice. Better than nothing but it sure tests your nerve week after week. Even the skiers are complaining but i don't think they have much in the way of sympathy from boarders after all they have two edges to drag across the man made (aaaahem) snow. What time of day was the picture taken ?

5:30pm. Sugarloaf got 7" in a storm on Thursday, which helped a lot. Brought out my plated 185 for the first time this season. However there are still no natural snow trails or glades open, and there won't be without another 2 or 3 storms. Sugarloaf is doing a commendable job with the snowmaking and grooming.

Interesting avatar

Yeah, that's payback from Fin for me giving him the guy holding the kitty cat in the Santa Clause hat avatar before Christmas. I'll play along for a day or so. I love that it appears he still hasn't figured out that I changed his *profile* pic like a year ago... :eplus2:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=1

Color me jealous. Nice work Jack.

Thanks fellow photographer! :D

I don't know which I like better; that awesome streaky pink sky or all that snow on the slopes. In NJ we have had nothing but rain and warm temps. The local resort is usually 100% open by now. I think they are around 50%.

Sugarloaf is less than 50% open - 71 out of 153 "trail sections", or 362 out of 1056 "developed acres". Ironically these percentages would probably be higher if ski areas in general would be more honest about their trail counts. But what is open is in a lot better shape than it was just a week ago thanks to some natural snow (making the whole mountain look white) and cold temps for snowmaking.