Note to New Members ×

Looking for M6 x 16 machine screws that are not phillips/Bike lock and theft

BXFR70

as the title implies, I have been searching for some M6 x 16 screws to mount burton bindings. I am looking for something that is not Phillips head if possible, I have checked Lowes and Home Depot, they have nothing, I did not expect them to, but it was easy. I also looked online at McMasterCarr.com, and was kind of surprised they do not have anything,

does this exist? I would prefer Hex or Torx, basically so it is harder for someone to remove bindings from the board.

on another note, does anyone use a bike lock? I was riding a new board the other night, and did not like the attention it drew while in the rack, I was sitting watching from 15 ft away inside, but still did not like how much attention it received so I was going to get a cable bike lock most likely or the Kryptonite snow lock.

I am riding at a different local mountain than usual, and there is no ski check and at the old mountain I just took my board in to the rental department where my friends worked so it was safe. at this mountain though, the one benefit is that the parking lot is a pretty far walk or a shuttle ride down so its not easy for people to get away quickly, and it is generally not that crowded.

I rarely leave my board for very long, when I ride out west I try to use a friend's lock and eat up higher on the mountain, has anyone ever had or heard of anything being stolen from a lodge higher on the mountain?

I am not real real worried, because my board is kind of an oddball for most of the freestyle kids, but its still soft boots.

thanks for any replies in advance.

how do I search there with a DIN number, I am not famliar with that?

also, I may have not thought this through....

I am riding the Bomber "power plates", so being that there should be no bottom out for the inserts going into the plate, I could most likely just use the m6x20 screws they sell here in the store, I will test one of them later today to see.

Here you go...

http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/products/fasteners/sockets/flat-socket-cap-screws/_/N-gj4wbuZjuetemZjudql8&Nty=0

You have to do some work though,

click on length,

click on drive size.

write down part number,

search for a store near you,

http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations

phone to order, as it may not be in stock at that store

Regarding point two: I'm not a fan of the retractable cable locks. You can supposedly cut the cables with toenail clippers. I use a Kryptonite cable bike lock, super cheap from a local sports store. It fits nicely through the Intec holes in the bindings. Someone can steal the board if they undo the 4 binding bolts, but they'll likely just take the unlocked soft board right beside it that'll be way easier to sell. It's all about making your board less easy to take than someone else's.

Warning: Some people are very anti-lock on BOL. I don't care. Theft is so bad at one of the areas I go to that they loan out free locks. (well, with a $5 refundable deposit)

I think someone had a Burner stolen at SES last year. Maybe that was just a rumor, I don't know.

If theft is that common, I'd be inclined to set up a sting. If one person gets arrested, I bet it would stop real quick. I recently had a new mountain bike stolen from the back of my friend's car, so I'm a little sensitive about this right now.

I've been using a retractable cable lock for years. I know the cable can be cut, but it makes the board much harder to take then the one next to yours.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/960418/approved_vendor_42364_machinery_eye_bolt

take two. trim down sufficiently that you can mount them side-by-side either outside of or inside your binding.

use a bike lock you can thread one end of through the eyes, or devise a locking bar that achieves the same result.

having two eye bolts on the board means they can't easily be unscrewed from the board while locked in with an external device.

Seriously, if you're that worried about the board/skis being stolen, it's strongly recommend you to skip lunch (hint: good breakfast), take a bathroom break with partner monitoring equipment, etc... and afterwards, if bar-scene on the mountain is your thing, put 'em up in your Thule.

Otherwise, by all means, go for it with bicycle lock or valet lock, etc... I do like the idea of torx based screws. I can say Bomber -already- have torx based screws which I like very much so. :)

PS a short story - a dear ski racer friend of mine from deep south NM once shared a story about Mammoth Mountain and notorious thefts from LA (from that direction anyways)... she would make sure she put one of her ski on one rack and another ski on another rack. Because the thieves were kinda clever -- they would come in and steal the _ENTIRE_ rack of skis and load 'em up in the cargo truck/van. As they drive out back to LA direction, they would toss out skis they deem "no good" out on the side of the highway. It did happened to her at one point, and she laughed because as she went home from Mammoth, she spotted one of her skis on the side of the highway and went onwards home beaming with a clever smile. :)

thank you for the mcmaster numbers, I searched in the wrong area I did not go to the bolts, only screws.

I must not be thinking today.

thanks again

you're welcome

technically they are button socket head cap screws. fasteners can be hard to find if you don't know their "technical" name/description

As far as screws go, I gave up a long time ago on #3 phillips on my Burtons. Socket head cap screws work fine. I ground the bottom corner off to make them more like flat heads, but with the dished washer you probably don't have to. Another option would be the screws Fin sells, oval head with a 5mm allen.

As far as locks go, anything that stops the grab and dash is probably OK. The thief does not want to be standing there messing with your board with a tool. I use a 6" piece of 1/16" SS cable with an eye at each end and a cheap luggage lock. Anything that makes them spend time is probably enough deterrent. The only reason I do this is we do day trips to Sierra at Tahoe, and they have the highest theft rates because the parking is so close to the board rack. If you park in the loading zone you can have a board out of the rack and into your vehicle in under a minute. I think what you say about board jackers not wanting an alpine board is correct, but thieves steal to sell, not to own.

I'm thinking of buying another couple of these :

http://www.amazon.com/Demon-Stomplock-Combo-Stomp-Leash/dp/B001I2QE1S

Unless someone is going to mess about trying to get your stomp pad off (and the glue on these is industrial) they're not going to be stealing your board. And the spikes on these are super sharp, just the ticket for clearing snow off your Intecs.