Note to New Members ×

Wine drinkers for holidays

C5 Golfer

Ah, the pleasures of life.

I'm easy for wine, "Pinot Noir"

No subterfuge involved, the most common grape, always good.(well there are exceptions)

But, I find with liquids that the larger the amount the better, so a gallon is nicer than a quart, really.

Before I stopped drinking beer (took up to much room) I liked large bottles of dark Heineken, it was sweeter and better tasting then the small bottles. And it was good warm, anything that has to be cold to be consumed is ridiculous, someone is hiding a really bad taste by smothering your senses.

Kegs are great, if it's a quality product, just clean the delivery system every five minutes to kill the mold.

I enjoyed the days of discovering new EXPENSIVE wines, "Grange" etc but in the long run, wow, what a suckers market...

Yes, you do develop a taste or memory for taste, just like a memory for fine audio, and depending on your budget, you can pursue your interest to Your hearts desire, Ah, the pleasures of life.

My girlfriends are staying the night here tomorrow, and there is a bottle of Jacob's Creek Chardonnay Pinot Noir sparkly in the fridge. I first bought this for a Stampede party a couple of years back, cos it's cheap, and thought it might do to sling in the OJ for breakfast. I poured some and tried it, and promptly decided there was no OJ going anywhere near that. As I can't find any Deutz Blanc de Blancs or Cloudy Bay Pelorus in Calgary, then the Aussie stand in will have to do.

I love a good sparkly at Xmas. I eyed the Taittinger with intent at the liquor store tonight, but I'm not wasting that on the girls ...

My recent faves:

$13: Ravenswood Lodi Zin, although the 2009 is not as good as the 2008 was

$18: Troon Vineyard "Druid's Fluid" (it's a blend, mostly Syrah and Zin, hard to find expect in southern OR and Eugene)

$28-$30: Rombauer Zin (well worth the price, if you like knock-your-socks-off Zins)

Yeah, I like big reds...

I can't wait for Jim [Callen] to get home and pipe into this thread. God knows what he's pulling out of the closet for Christmas dinner, although rumor has it a bottle of '85 Krug is involved :eek:

partial to reds, we like the Layer Cake, Hess Select, Coppola and Chateau St. Michelle Cabs. All $15 - $20.

Hess makes/made one of the only Merlot that I ever liked (with a blue label) that I can't find anymore. Bummin' about that.

My first champagne purchase many years ago was 5 minutes before the store closed and the woman at the register sold me a bottle of Dom Rose for the same price as regular Dom. I didn't know the difference ($300) until someone pointed it out to me, after the bottle was open. Pays to know your inventory (as seller or consumer).

I can't wait for Jim [Callen] to get home and pipe into this thread. God knows what he's pulling out of the closet for Christmas dinner, although rumor has it a bottle of '85 Krug is involved :eek:

Ah, and now the truth comes out as to why there wasn't a snowflake's chance in hell that you were going to say no when he asked!!!

I have a '99 Pinot Gris from a local Italian winemaker near home that I think will be polished off soon. But otherwise all my good stuff, including the '98 Penfold's Grange Hermitage, is under lock and key back in Australia and it's just too damned expensive to drink quality wine in Singapore (taxes are a killer).

I have 6 bottle of a vertical collection of Leonetti Merlot - 1999 and up. One of these days a special day will show up and one or two of those guys will get opened. I have had the 2004 and 1998 of this wine - some of the best Merlots I have ever had the pleasure of sticking my nose in.

There is no rush, as long as they are stored correctly. Chris Figgins (owner/winemaker) gave me 2 6-packs when he was in town last. That guy can ski! I took him up highlands bowl on a great pow day last year.

that was my thought too..

I have two bottles slated for opening so far. When my new granddaughter has her 1st birthday and the next is when I hit 70 yr young, which incidently my birthday is in Jan and I always spend it in Whistler Blackcomb. So a day of riding my Coiler AM that day ending with a Leonetti will be a good way to finish the sixties.