Note to New Members ×

How fast do you really go while carving?

Jack M

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

..it's way past time for you to get a smart-phone Jack! :D

No kidding eh? Work provides me with a p.o.s. phone for free, so I can't really justify it. Also I'm afraid if I inquire about an upgrade they'll look at their list and realize I'm actually not supposed to have the phone anymore!

it'd be nice if it included accelerometer data as well. hmm.

Well it does record airtime, fwiw.

It must use accelerometers if it logs airtime. EDIT: they show a medal for pulling more than 2.5G, so it must log it.

I bet getting GPS data at a pretty low sample rate will lead to some very horrible looking lines down the slopes, especially if you're making tight turns on a small board. I'm still going to try this as it could be entertaining!

I think most will be surprised how slow they go on average.

Well it does record airtime, fwiw.
It must use accelerometers if it logs airtime. EDIT: they show a medal for pulling more than 2.5G, so it must log it.

i didn't read that far. sweet.

otoh between this, runkeeper and mytracks, it's starting to get annoying not having everything in the same place. data sprawl.

I don't know why anyone would want a smart phone. I would LOVE to get rid of the phone I have, but cannot.....

I race Enduros (dirt bikes) during the summer and compared to that, carving seems rather slow, even on my monster. It could be the lack of proximity to trees that makes it feel slow but I would guess 30 like Jack guessed would be getting pretty close to the top.

If I get out this year, I'll bring my GPS.

I've hit 70 kph (~44 mph) on a mountain bike on some downhill singletrack - which was way more scary than 180 kph (112 mph) in a car on a race track - which was way more scary that 250 kph (155 mph) in a car on a straight section of closed road.

30 mph is probably right for carving Jack. Things go bad real fast even at those speeds. I doubt I ever hit those speeds. If I do, I won't tell my wife. ;)

I don't know why anyone would want a smart phone.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want one :biggthump. I can check out what's happening here on BOL, buy/sell stocks, check on my latest bid on eBay, video call my friends out of state, text my daughter to see what's going on, view web cams and current snow conditions at all my fav resorts, and all while on a 15 min break at work.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want one :biggthump. I can check out what's happening here on BOL, buy/sell stocks, check on my latest bid on eBay, video call my friends out of state, text my daughter to see what's going on, view web cams and current snow conditions at all my fav resorts, and all while on a 15 min break at work.

I'm kind of a log cabin in the woods kind of guy.....

I do like the internet though. Just not in my pocket.

;-) um, but I'd have to tear myself away from this 76cm hi-res screen in front of my eyeballs, take my fingers off the keyboard and rub them around on some titchy piece of greasy black glass, and pay some network operator for the privilege ...

Now if someone offered me a 2m screen I'd have one like a shot, but somehow I can't feel the need for something which won't fit in my pocket yet isn't big enough to read.

GPS isn't hugely reliable for measuring snowboard speed from what I've seen in the past. And don't forget to switch the phone side off if you're riding with a transceiver! They're crap phones anyway so it probably won't make any difference ;-)

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want one
Too bulky, and they don't work any better as a phone than any other phone, actually worse. Build me something smaller, lighter and with better voice quality and I'm there. No camera, no games, no GPS. Texting is the only other required feature. Biggest issue on cell phones for me is the crappy QOS. I'll go for the land line every time if it is available.

I would hazard a guess that a typical GS-style freecarve run on good groom would top out at like 30mph if you're really cooking. :rolleyes:

Exactly. I've always assumed that when I'm absolutely flying down the mountain, scary fast, that I'm going, oh, about 20. Of course, I'm still rad.

And this is reminiscent of folks saying they do 45 degree steeps all the time...

I use this App http://www.corecoders.com/CoreCoders/skitracks.html its awesome! Apparently the next update will cover airtime.

I have no idea what my carving speed is, but I know my top softboot straight line speeds are all around the 60+mph mark. As as ex-downhill skateboarder, I know what 50-60mph feels like having been clocked on very accurate equipment.

I'll try a carving-only run with it on this winter.

I use this App http://www.corecoders.com/CoreCoders/skitracks.html its awesome! Apparently the next update will cover airtime.

I have no idea what my carving speed is, but I know my top softboot straight line speeds are all around the 60+mph mark. As as ex-downhill skateboarder, I know what 50-60mph feels like having been clocked on very accurate equipment.

I'll try a carving-only run with it on this winter.

Martin,

89.1 mph down Silver King last year on my GPS, straight line of coarse..

I would love to break 90! I may need to put on a GS suit for that:(

BB

Hi Jack I road with a GPS for two years. I found moderate grades I would be 30-34mph range. Steeper runs bumped that up 36-40 mph.That was just carving not letting it run before the first turn. Top speed 58-60 mph. I believe its accurate but I know some people don't. I used Ski tracks last year it works well and its cool. Not the best for all day recording it will kill the battery.

I've never found out. Have you? For real? Looks like this will make it easier to do so if you have a smart-phone... which I don't... yet...

www.alpinereplay.com

Well my Recon goggles that I showed you said 64mph down comp hill. Too bad I never uploaded it. Guess I'll just have to come up there again and prove it. :) But I wasn't carving so I guess that don't count....and whats a race board if you ain't going full tilt?

Well my Recon goggles that I showed you said 64mph down comp hill. Too bad I never uploaded it. Guess I'll just have to come up there again and prove it. :) But I wasn't carving so I guess that don't count....and whats a race board if you ain't going full tilt?

Yes, please, let me know when so I can have patrol there to <s>pull your pass</s>, I mean, verify it.

Are you going to race this season Jack; if Seth has the race again? I def. will NOT be using alpine gear on that coarse....soft boot gear only!

He is. Sure why not. I don't have softies, but maybe with my new SG 163 I'll actually be able to carve a few of the turns on that "flight of the bumblebee" course.

Hi Jack I road with a GPS for two years. I found moderate grades I would be 30-34mph range. Steeper runs bumped that up 36-40 mph.That was just carving not letting it run before the first turn. Top speed 58-60 mph. I believe its accurate but I know some people don't. I used Ski tracks last year it works well and its cool. Not the best for all day recording it will kill the battery.

I'm guessing you have an older iPhone, as with a 4, it should still leave you with about 75% charge by the end of the day.

Martin,

89.1 mph down Silver King last year on my GPS, straight line of coarse..

I would love to break 90! I may need to put on a GS suit for that:(

BB

Billy, you're my hero! Be careful, you're a Daddy now! I still relate that story to people of the Patroller that finally caught up to you when you were out cruising on a 190+ Nidecker and told you he'd been chasing you for ages (you hadn't even known), and said HE was on the edge of control. You looked him in the eye and told him that perhaps he was skiing outside his comfort zone while you were still riding within yours! Priceless.