Note to New Members ×

Waterproofness

John E

So much of outdoor clothing these days touts its waterproofness - i.e. Goretex, etc.

In Colorado, it seems like waterproofness isn't really necessary. Usually when I ride it is cold and the snow is dry. Once in a while we'll get a storm that leaves flakes on your thighs and shoulders (on the lift) that melt and I might get a bit wet but this seems the exception. If it is truly raining (extremely rare), I stay home.

Maybe in the PNW this would be important but not so much here.

Am I underestimating this attribute?

Waterproof and windproof tend to go together. Any Goretex or similar is at least 10K/10K. Because I'm a wimp and get cold, there is no substitute for windproof on a sketchy day at the hill.

I like my waterproof because I tend to flounder around on the snow over the course of the day, but even with that 10K is plenty.

It seems to me that not all the fabrics are created equal either. I have some Mountain Hardwear bibs that are supposed to be 20K/20K, and I always end up damp when I wear them. They're nowhere near as good as my MEC bibs, which are 10K/10K, and keep me dry as a bone. The MH ones are their proprietary fabric, and the MEC ones are stock 2-layer Goretex. I know which one I'd buy again.

With limited days in the east you ride in whatever nature throws your way. We can't be too picky about the weather. New fibres make it possible to semi enjoy what would otherwise be miserable. Wet shoulders we should be so lucky. How about water running out of the tops of your boots from the soaking you get sitting on a wet chair. After paying $80.00 for a lift ticket some resorts even give you plastic rain poncho but only after you are soaked. Beckman is correct about dreams. After paying for the lift ticket you dream that the rain will change to snow and you will be the only one left riding the new powder ( Hasn't happened yet but you never know). If you weren't uncomfortable being soaked you now get to enjoy the ride home sitting in wet undies with the defroster blasting as much hot air as you can stand trying to keep the windows fog free as your wet clothing enjoys the ride home roof top in the ski box. Snowboard and ski, rain or shine the snow you see today could be gone tomorrow and we don't want to miss out on a chance to ride it. Five to six weeks away from first tracks. Slush rain or snow we will be there desperate east coasters. Wet shoulders !:o

With limited days in the east you ride in whatever nature throws your way. We can't be too picky about the weather. New fibres make it possible to semi enjoy what would otherwise be miserable. Wet shoulders we should be so lucky. How about water running out of the tops of your boots from the soaking you get sitting on a wet chair. After paying $80.00 for a lift ticket some resorts even give you plastic rain poncho but only after you are soaked. Beckman is correct about dreams. After paying for the lift ticket you dream that the rain will change to snow and you will be the only one left riding the new powder ( Hasn't happened yet but you never know). If you weren't uncomfortable being soaked you now get to enjoy the ride home sitting in wet undies with the defroster blasting as much hot air as you can stand trying to keep the windows fog free as your wet clothing enjoys the ride home roof top in the ski box. Snowboard and ski, rain or shine the snow you see today could be gone tomorrow and we don't want to miss out on a chance to ride it. Five to six weeks away from first tracks. Slush rain or snow we will be there desperate east coasters. Wet shoulders !:o

waterproof

chances are if it's marketed to skiers or snowboarders it's not really because then it won't have enough zippers, will be too stiff and won't breath quite as well. and it's not really that important. in CO if it was not snowing I'd often go out in a vest and sweater. wet ass? even with waterproof stuff if you sit on the snow with waterproof fabrics you'll end up with a wet ass because of condensation if you're sweating a lot.

Breathable is usually what I worry about unless it's raining doing or the sierra/east coast/PNW "snowing" that might be better described as white sleeting.

that said, the goretex jackets they sell to sailors or even the breathable waders available in every fly shop are completely waterproof. in those applications it trumps other attributes.

Goretex does well because it is a porous teflon. Teflon has a very high dielectric constant. This causes the water to bead on it, similar to the flour containing waxes (teflon also contains a flour bond). This will mean that Goretex could let through quite some air without letting in water. Another porous teflon is E-vent.

With Polyurethane membranes, the working is more like a wick. They get wet on the inside and transport the moisture to the outside to be evaporated. This membrane can get saturated more easily.

Porous teflon is used more often in the expensive equipment. The Polyurethane option is seen more often in the cheaper stuff. Goretex jackets are expensive due to 2 components. 1: The manufacturer pays extra for the goretex brand. 2: The jacket needs to be approved by goretex, since the "guaranteed to keep you dry" guarantee is given by goretex, not the manufacturer. Goretex might thus require extra measures to approve a garment. The first component is a pity. The second could make a difference, though good brands know how to make a jacket waterproof.

.... There's a reason I've been riding in the same second hand $15 Patagonia pants for 13 years. :ices_ange

I guarentee you'll change that pants this season when u start dragging yr hips...;) U might want to bring another for a spare...ah wait, no need just carved all the way down to your place and back...

RT:ices_ange

Ignoring the marketing hype, Goretex is the only stuff that works for me (never tried eVent though). I ride when it snows, rains, spring conditions, -20C and windy and I have just one jacket and pair of pants that does it all. Never got wet. Ever.

It is a softshell so on very very cold and windy days it blows through me but whatever, its all about layering. Everything else I tried still got wet in the end, and its something I cannot tolerate. The other issue is that I sweat a lot, so my jacket needs to have excellent breathability, I cant use thick insulated jackets for example.