Note to New Members ×

Transworld Issue 1, 1987

Jack M

incredible thnx Jack!

to be noted: page 28 the difference between fernandes board and kelly is just amazing > just wondering how kelly could be just behind with such outline... ( funny the fernandes nose shape is very similar to the Extremecarver :=)

about the 1987 beckenridge comp...I heard rumors that some hot team were disqualified...anyone could recall what happen to the Hot team then?

N

A little story....After I saw an advertisement for that comp in Skateboarder magazine I told my boss I was going.I drove from Coeur d'Alene Idaho to Breck in my souped up 73 Blazer in 18 hours,prepared to sleep in it for the 3 nights I was there.When I got to Main Street at midnight,the Blazer literally spit the transmission all over the street and I coasted into the parking lot of a little hotel.The girl at the front desk took pitty and let me sleep in the janitor's closet,since the truck was being towed to a mechanic in Leadville.

I did all three events,which were my first snowboard contests of any kind, on my Winterstick swallowtail which had Burton Performer bindings t-bolted to it.

During halfpipe practice(my first time in a halfpipe) I met some cool guys from Michigan who said I could stay with them in Leadville,but that I would have to hitchike,since nobody in their house had a car.So I took all my stuff on the bus to the Conoco station across from Copper and then caught a ride within about three minutes.That ended up being a huge fork in the zigzag road of my life since I stayed in the commune style house for a month and didn't go back to Idaho for anything more than a visit until Maureen and I moved up here in 2004.Some of the people from the Leadville house are my best friends to this day.

Good memories!

Kelly wins the Slalom over Jose :biggthump in SB :eek: such a beautiful flowing rider

just pulled it out again from a drawer downstairs and yep... the skating thing was so prevalent even then that I remember

having arguments with our son about to much Air and that real snowboarding was done on the snow... even though we both

skated... he was a Trickster and I a Turner so to speak... now we argue over Surfing as well and how it's all about the Air again...

... he was a Trickster and I a Turner so to speak... now we argue over Surfing as well and how it's all about the Air again...

to Carve Divine

I thought Icarus settled this millenia ago :ices_ange

More recently, 1969, Randy Bachman gave words to The Guess Who on the same topic,

She's come undun

She found a mountain that was far too high

And when she found out she couldn't fly

It was too late

It's too late

She's gone too far

She's lost the sun

She's come undun

Best ever flirtation between the human voice and a string bass, bar none. And that includes the current work of Esperanza Spalding.

( This response under construction... Time for Gray's Anatomy...)

BB

I had that issue and used to study the half pipe images and try to figure out how to do a hand plant. Of course I knew I was more of an Alpine guy when I took in hard in the chin on one attempt. I was 17 and had ridden for 4 seasons by then. In one of those issues there was a photo of Damian Sanders riding an Avalanche board in hard boots [Koflach?] and flipping out the end of a half pipe. Amazing! Of course my next set of boots were Koflach, but I never had the guts to flip out of the halfpipe....

sj

I don't remember it being a **** show. I thought Achy did a good job, but I'd never been to a contest before.

I do remember him putting me and my buddy John head to head in the moguls so the "Fortress guys could take each other out". Nose rolled right out of the course, so I guess I didn't need Ken's help to get eliminated.

5th in GS. Stoked on that.

Thanks for the memories and the link to that site.

It thats the race you're talking about Rob? I was there, "course marshall" My buddy got wind burn so bad that day his pillow was stuck to his face the next morning.

I have pictures from that day. I really need to get dialed up on how to scan photos and post em.

I see the article now, They were handing out "Absolutley Radical" the first snowboard magazine/newspaper I ever saw. :1luvu:

Good times indeed:biggthump