Note to New Members ×

Hurricane Irene

patmoore

Sorry to hear about everyone's devastation. I am going to the Waterbury/Stowe area to help out some life long friends with their clean up and re-build Friday - Monday. Their basement was completely flooded, 1 foot of water in their kitchen, 4 feet of water in their yard and they were over 75 yards outside of the 100 year water mark.

Sorry for the delay...

First off, I'm sorry for those here that have suffered a loss.

Second, as a simple statement, you will find yourselves increasingly experiencing weather than, at one time, was seen in the South. The NE is turning into a tropic paradise of sorts. From one coastal resident to another, let me give you some advice.

1. Flood insurance-rising water damage is never covered by homeowners' insurance

2. Check your policy for Windstorm insurance and make such you purchase it if that coverage is not mandated by your state

3. Get camping supplies for those times when you have no power

4. If you are going to be without power for a while, get a generator. Figure out the "start up" wattage and the typical running requirements requirements for the appliances you want to have and get an generator sized for the load. Generators have both typical runtime and "surge" wattage output ratings.My generator handles all our refrigerators and a small window AC to make a cool room in the house. Typically, a tropical system can cause you to lose power for 1-2 weeks

5. Get 5 20 gallon containers for your generator's fuel and fill them before the tropical system strikes. If you wait until after, you might find yourself in a gas station line for hours. Use that fuel in your vehicles if you don't need it-the fuel will not "keep" over the winter

6. Water-I usually fill up the tubs but, in our area, the water is stored in above ground tanks that use gravity as a pump. We haven't had the water go out in a storm, so far...

Good luck for the next storm.

Remember, it doesn't have to be a hurricane to kill-TS Allison killed a bunch of people in Houston

good tips here!

4. If you are going to be without power for a while, get a generator. Figure out the "start up" wattage and the typical running requirements requirements for the appliances you want to have and get an generator sized for the load. Generators have both typical runtime and "surge" wattage output ratings.My generator handles all our refrigerators and a small window AC to make a cool room in the house. Typically, a tropical system can cause you to lose power for 1-2 weeks

My parents bought a really big generator that would run all of their appliances. However, it was costing $50-$60/day for the fuel. They have since bought a smaller generator to run an AC in their BD for sleeping. The fridge and freezer will keep for a couple of days if you don't open it, and it will save tons on fuel costs.

6. Water-I usually fill up the tubs but, in our area, the water is stored in above ground tanks that use gravity as a pump. We haven't had the water go out in a storm, so far...

My parents always fill up the tub when a storm is going to hit. If the water goes out, you also can't flush the toilet. :eek:

Also, sympathies go out to people who are being affected. Growing up in New Orleans I feel your pain.

Skatha, those are great suggestions. Your part of the world is enduring its own disaster in the form of devastating fires.

I spent yesterday in Vermont surveying the situation. Our unit escaped damage but the four units on the ground floor suffered major flooding. All their possessions have to be scrapped and the sheetrock and insulation thrown out. We're working hard to dry out those units to prevent the growth of mold. We still don't have electricity or water although we've been able to run extension cords to the units for basic needs. We finally got one side of the basement pumped out and the other side is almost there. We're going to have a contractor look at our boiler to see if it can be salvaged.

One bright spot - the town may finally get around to condemning the burned out building near us. It burned in the mid-eighties and has been an eyesore ever since. It's full of water and presents a health hazard because of mold. That should lessen our insurance costs. The other condo building near ours had fuel oil leaking in their basement. The Coast Guard has been working to drain it.

This has been a hundred year flood. I've included a photo of an 1899 bridge in the nearby town of Chester and a few other dramatic shots from surrounding communities. We're closely watching the remnants of the gulf storm that is drenching New York and Pennsylvania. The prognosis from the National Hurricane Center doesn't call for much more rain in Proctorsville so we're cautiously optimistic. The ground is saturated and can't absorb another accumulation of rain.

Check out photos in a Picasa album.

Spent the weekend in Vermont. The bride and I and two of our friends tossed ruined sheetrock, insulation and furniture into a 30 yard dumpster. We filled it to overflowing. Afterward we walked along Rt 31 east of Cavendish and found this hundred foot chasm. The river normally doesn't even flow near here!

f1f5et.jpg