Note to New Members ×

Minds in the Water

softbootsurfer

I'll try not to find any waves close to that size in Costa Rica this year, but I will try to get beyond the numpty stage.

I just discovered that they have one of those machine-wave pools here in the UK, in Wales... so if repeated attempts to sort this out by staying in luxurious fancy places in Costa Rica doesn't get me beyond the incompetent-surfer stage, then I'll just have to drive up there and stay there until I'm suitably trained. The chances are that those waves don't teach you particularly well "how to read and catch waves", but it can't do any harm. I learned to ski on artificial stuff after all..

On 10/14/2017 at 10:34 AM, philw said:

machine-wave pools here in the UK, in Wales... 

As much as I want to hate on these artificial wave machines, because they take so much out of the experience, in terms being in the real wild world; I am very interested in trying one out. If you do give that a go I would love to hear your experiences with it.

It's my second week of surf lessons in Costa Rica,. The first was Nosara, this one is Dominical - a direct flight for me. The waves seemed pretty good for learning - sandy bottom, decently large, reliable, warm water.

The Snowdonia place is interesting too, because I have a feeling that surfing for a week a year isn't going to be enough to nail it... I either spend a summer in Santa Barbara (not a bad idea..) or... drive up to North Wales and hammer at that wave until I'm bored, then repeat until I have it. I'll post a report/ photos once I've got that done, but first... Costa Rica!

Phil, the difference between a point break and a beach break is the same as going down a 30 second snowboard run and going down a 3 minute one...try to travel to a right handed point break for the maximum learning experience...Enjoy Costa Rica wherever you are, we are head to Nicaragua ourselves in Nov. Stoked!!! :cool: :biggthump 

Then again, one of the problems with Surfing a good right handed point break are the numbers of others in the line up...

Edited by softbootsurfer
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 7:17 AM, softbootsurfer said:

Phil, the difference between a point break and a beach break is the same as going down a 30 second snowboard run and going down a 3 minute one...try to travel to a right handed point break for the maximum learning experience...Enjoy Costa Rica wherever you are, we are head to Nicaragua ourselves in Nov. Stoked!!! :cool: :biggthump 

Then again, one of the problems with Surfing a good right handed point break are the numbers of others in the line up...

Yeah, a great point break is awesome as long as nobody knows about it, or you're pretty comfortable with the whos-who of the lineup :p. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:29 PM, queequeg said:

Yeah, a great point break is awesome as long as nobody knows about it, or you're pretty comfortable with the whos-who of the lineup :p. 

Speaking of points... This little gem should be firing the next couple of days. Cough cough. Here comes a sick day.

BOULDERS-SCAN001.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/10/2017 at 10:29 PM, queequeg said:

Well Costa Rica / Dominical was a beach break, suitable for beginners. Possibly the conditions were less than superb - about a meter or more of height, but waves which were less green than I'd like at least. Anyway. I spent a week getting pounded again, like I seem to do. Internet research suggests that this may continue for some time. Improvements on the last time include reduced damage to my ribs - perhaps I figured that bit out a fraction. I'm not sure if I should not just go there for a month at a time and try it that way. Not cheap, but then I may run out of life before I learn to surf, if I'm not careful!

Otherwise, there's the machine-wave place about 3 hours from here... but on returning from balmy 30 degree and more temperatures  in Costa Rica it was actually below zero here this morning, which makes surfing here somewhat less attractive as a proposition. 

Edited by philw

1 hour ago, philw said:

Well Costa Rica / Dominical was a beach break, suitable for beginners. Possibly the conditions were less than superb - about a meter or more of height, but waves which were less green than I'd like at least. Anyway. I spent a week getting pounded again, like I seem to do. Internet research suggests that this may continue for some time. Improvements on the last time include reduced damage to my ribs - perhaps I figured that bit out a fraction. I'm not sure if I should not just go there for a month at a time and try it that way. Not cheap, but then I may run out of life before I learn to surf, if I'm not careful!

Otherwise, there's the machine-wave place about 3 hours from here... but on returning from balmy 30 degree and more temperatures  in Costa Rica it was actually below zero here this morning, which makes surfing here somewhat less attractive as a proposition. 

I've only been to Costa Rica once, but I found that there was a lot or pretty solid beach break there. I was in Santa Teresa, Santa Cruz, and Nosara. I actually really like beach break. Nosara was by far the most beginner friendly and Santa Teresa was probably the biggest. Keep at it! It takes a long time but it is worth it. Otherwise: I would embrace the cold: here in northern California we have (so-called) cold water. A good wetsuit will provide more than enough warmth—I find the cold water feels refreshing after the first few minutes of shock. One of the upsides of the wetsuit: it provides a bit of padding between the deck and your ribs too :)

Edited by queequeg

5 hours ago, philw said:

Sounds about right Phil...practice is the Key, I would go to the machine place as often as you can, if for nothing else to practice getting up... I know, I keep mentioning Matapalo in southern Costa Rica, because it has 3 different point breaks, all right handers and the one on the inside point is especially good for learning, are there always waves? no!  and that is why we love Snowboarding Eh! :- ) Beach breaks demand very quick actions and are often very short rides...a point break can provide enough time to actually learn something on the way in...I don't portend to know where such a Point Break is, related to where you live in the UK...Waikiki is actually one of the best places to learn, as the reefs which are scattered and varried according to Wave size, allow longer rides as well...Enjoy your Pow this Winter :biggthump

Thanks chaps... I will be hammering our "local" surf pool until it can't teach me any more. That's pretty much how I learnt to ski & snowboard. I would think I can practice the basic stuff fairly well there. I will report back once it's in hand... not until later this month at least as I have a little more work to do.  California: well I may rock up there for a few weeks, as I think I can live there pretty easily close to some (for me) relatively warm water. I bought my 5mm wetsuit in Santa Cruz, where they almost refused to sell it to me until I explained where I'm from.

Usually I can get the basic stuff going in a new sport pretty well... so thanks for the encouragement,.

Meanwhile the snow season will help my ego survive being quite this bad at something ;-) Actually perhaps the humility I'm having to live with from the surf thing may help me be less arrogant in the snow...  ;-)

On 11/6/2017 at 2:15 PM, softbootsurfer said:

I would go to the machine place as often as you can, if for nothing else to practice getting up... 

I was thinking the same thing regarding a machine wave — you could probably get a better chance to really work out the kinks on your popup on one!! I wish I had access to one for just this reason.