Note to New Members ×

Minds in the Water

softbootsurfer

• 2 weeks later...

12 hours ago, Chouinard said:

Nothing more exhilarating than a broad reach with following seas provided that's the direction you want to go...because nothing is worse than beating back in heavy winds!

One of those boats unfortunately lost a crew member overboard on that stretch of ocean in those conditions and had to do just that to search for him. One of the first things I learned as a kid was "one hand for the ship, and one hand for yourself". Although, in those conditions with heavy water crashing over the whole boat, you'd need 2 hands and be tied to the ship as well. 

Those boats go very well to windward too. They have a course race at the start of each leg before they head out to sea. The New Zealand start is fun to watch as every Kiwi sailor in all manor of sailing craft (practically the whole nation) was on the water to see them off, including windsurfers and foiling kite boarders that were able to keep pace with them as they headed off shore.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, softbootsurfer said:

?

I never much like watching surfers at Mavs — but the guy that takes off at 1:22 is on fire! 2:22 and 2:58 too!

Some of those crowded takeoffs are absolutely terrifying to watch.

* That's not to speak lightly of the drama of surfing Mavs, I think it's totally insane and basically a superhuman feat of both physical and mental strength as well as the ultimate test of skill ... but not all that interesting/stylish to watch insofar as it mostly seems like beyond making the big drops it's mostly just people trying to outrun the dragon.

That's straight down...the wave energy coming up the face and the wind coming up the face is what causes a Late take off , from not being able to penetrate the board down the face....I remember waves where you were literally blinded by the offshore wind spray, free falling down the face with just your toes clinging on your stick for dear life...

?‍♂️  This would be awesome to do...