Note to New Members ×

8.9 EARTHQUAKE hits Japan and few large one earlier.

CarvingScooby

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're just fine, thanks for your concern. Up here in Hokkaido the ground shook quite hard but no serious damage to any buildings has been reported. At the time of the first shock l was driving and couldn't feel anything until l was stopped at a light. Then, the ground moved like an HGV truck had just driven by... but there was no truck.

Saturday and Sunday were spent all day in the mountains. Seems both of us had a few better than average EC turns... not sure if they were extreme or emergency... but we were both happier to be in the mountains than in the city.

Our only noticeable result of the quake was total loss of internet and phone capability for 3 days. Japan's largest provider... KDDI... definitely fumbled the ball. PR nightmare for sure. My work phone is connected to the same provider that exclusively sells the iPhone and it was still operational... which has just given me the reason l need to switch.

Amazing, shocking and frightening pics and footage of the carnage that went on south of us, though. Complete communities.... gone. Looking at the footage now is just morbidly incredible.

The nuclear reactor is close to 600 kms away so we are in no immediate danger. Hopefully they can get that situation fully under control quickly!

That video was insane. To think about where you might run to take shelter only to slowly realize that your building might be lifted up and washed away? Yikes. I also saw the NY Times article showing the before and after sattellite photos of some of the coastal cities and it is along these lines, :barf:.

Terrible, just terrible.

I am quite saddened by this... I worked in Ishinomaki for a month several years ago. The people in Ishinomaki were the most friendly and welcoming I have met in Japan.

My thoughts go to the people of Japan. Hope they recover from this quickly...

Unfortunately, in the wake of terrible tragedy, there are those who will seek to benefit. The 8.9-magnitude earthquake and deadly tsunami in Japan has also triggered new cyber-attacks attempting to take advantage of those wishing to help or seeking information. The following quote is from

Security Week:

http://www.securityweek.com/massive-influx-scams-surrounding-japans-earthquake-and-tsunami-expected

Please be careful and stay away from this kind.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kom_Ls9wNTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This guy needs to shut his pie hole.

You know...

Listening to all the fear-mongering coming in from foreign news channels makes me glad, for the first time, that the average Japanese person cannot understand English. lf the $hit does in fact hit the fan the most important thing will be to keep a semblance of calm. Panic and chaos from 120,000,000 people will do nothing to help the situation here.

in a society known for its courage, caring, and civility - it's been especially amazing to me that so many men and women were willing to "hang in there" at the ***ushima Dai-ichi nuclear complex as conditions deteriorated from very bad to nightmarishly worse.

I think, as of last night (Monday, U.S. east coast) they'd pulled all but 50 engineers/techs out. I can't imagine the selflessness and bravery of these people.

May they prevail and live to tell about it!

BB

in a society known for its courage, caring, and civility - it's been especially amazing to me that so many men and women were willing to "hang in there" at the ***ushima Dai-ichi nuclear complex as conditions deteriorated from very bad to nightmarishly worse.

I think, as of last night (Monday, U.S. east coast) they'd pulled all but 50 engineers/techs out. I can't imagine the selflessness and bravery of these people.

May they prevail and live to tell about it!

BB

No kidding. That's got to be basically a suicide mission.

I think the word "hero' gets bandied about way too easily these days. These guys are heroes in every sense of the word.

Unfortunately, in the wake of terrible tragedy, there are those who will seek to benefit. The 8.9-magnitude earthquake and deadly tsunami in Japan has also triggered new cyber-attacks attempting to take advantage of those wishing to help or seeking information. The following quote is from

Security Week:

http://www.securityweek.com/massive-influx-scams-surrounding-japans-earthquake-and-tsunami-expected

Please be careful and stay away from this kind.

Yeah, how do you know? When scammers are impersonating the Red Cross....karma will get them.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/japan-earthquake-shifted-balance-planet-20110314-065608-417.html

Last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan has actually moved the island closer to the United States and shifted the planet's axis.

The quake caused a rift 24 kilometres below the sea floor that stretched nearly 300 kilometres long and 150 kilometres wide, according to the AP. The areas closest to the epicenter of the quake jumped a full 13 feet closer to the United States, geophysicist Ross Stein at the United States Geological Survey told The New York Times.

The world's fifth-largest, 8.8 magnitude quake was caused when the Pacific tectonic plate dived under the North American plate, which shifted Eastern Japan towards North America by about 13 feet (see NASA's before and after photos at right). The quake also shifted the earth's axis by 6.5 inches, shortened the day by 1.6 microseconds, and sunk Japan downward by about two feet. As Japan's eastern coastline sunk, the tsunami's waves rolled in.

Why did the quake shorten the day? The earth's mass shifted towards the center, spurring the planet to spin a bit faster. Last year's massive 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Chile also shortened the day, but by an even smaller fraction of a second. The 2004 Sumatra quake knocked a whopping 6.8 micro-seconds off the day.

After the country's 1995 earthquake, Japan placed high-tech sensors around the country to observe even the slightest movements, which is why scientists are able to calculate the quake's impact down to the inch. "This is overwhelmingly the best-recorded great earthquake ever," Lucy Jones, chief scientist for the Multi-Hazards project at the U.S. Geological Survey, told The Boston Herald.

The tsunami's waves necessitated life-saving evacuations as far away as Chile. Fisherman off the coast of Mexico reported a banner fishing day Friday, and speculated that the tsunami knocked sealife in their direction.

(The Joban motorway near Mito after the quake: AP/Nexco East Japan. Satellite image of Japan's coast moving: NASA)

Coast Shifted

post-6136-141842341155_thumb.jpg

This just in....more devastating news from Japan.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=152708294791029&id=207835229228979

Basically, there is an organization out of Japan that is asking for donations to "save" the animals, and they are rescuing them. They give them 72 hours, and then they euthanize them.

If you have any contacts with the media, or feel like spreading the word, please do so. The media outlets, as bad as that may sound, are the only way to get something done about this.

I can't imagine how I would feel if after going through all of that (tsunami, earthquake, losing everything I own) I find out that my pet survived, only to die 72 hours later because he was (1) picked up by the wrong rescue group and (2) I wasn't fast enough to get him.

Ugh. So sickening.