Note to New Members ×

Helmet question. From a guy with FAT MELON!!

Linus

I have been to many places for a helmet nothing really fits.

Seems like every helmet was made for oval head shape and not

for fat round melon that I have. Everytime I wear those helmets,

both side of my head gains uncomfortable amount of pain.

So far, I've tried Protec, Red, Bolle. they all give a headache.

Which company's helmet is for fat melon?? I haven't tried Giro

because the store didn't have anything larger than medium.

Do you guys know any good helmets for me?

P.S I have near perfect round 59~60cm melon:)

and then very carfully compress the foam at the pressure points this is what I have had to do with a couple of my moto helmets

be careful and DO NOT go overboard it is important the you dont ruin you helmet by packing it out too much

I have a rather round head too and boeri seems to fit the best with me

I gotta pretty big round melon too.

I second what bobdea says, for brand AND fit tips. Be careful not to pack it out too much, you don't want to ruin the foam its made of, which is very similar to bike helmets.

The BOERI model that comes to mind is the MYTO or MYRO PRO. I don't think they call it that anymore as they have updated the style, but maybe you could get a closeout deal somewhere? The style that took its place fits me well too, I just tried it on Thursday. I'll get back to you on that model name.

My current helmet is a Leedom, but the ones I saw last season are a bit different then when I bought one. I'm not sure Leedom is around anymore?

I have a big round head too. 61cm And currently I wear a R.E.D skycap XL helmet. I find at the start of the day, the sides feel a little tight but then pack out by a few runs. I have tried on the new R.E.D Hi Fi helmet. I found it to fit better but did not like the look of it on my head. Or you could just shave the sides of your head to make your head more oval shaped:)

I have trouble finding helmets that fit too - it took me all summer to find a big enough skate helmet. But I've been really happy with my Giro snowboard helmet. It's an "L" or maybe a "L/XL" (I don't remember exactly how their sizing works.)

If I were you, I'd keep looking 'til you find a store that stocks large sizes of Giro helmets.

Looks like REI Outlet has some S4s on sale right now - check it out:

<a href="http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47821638.htm?">http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47821638.htm?</a>

Giro XXL Ravine for my 62 cm melon. It's the only model I've found that fits that big. My head is long and narrow though so with the Giro there's a little bit of forehead pressure - it's packed out a little bit. Nothing else comes close to fitting so I live with it. I use a Giro bicycle helmet too.

Guest Randy S.

In my experience Boeri, Ovo and Leedom fit round melons better. Giro, K2 and Briko fit oval melons better (I have a big oval melon).

Lonerider: if he has a round melon, there are some XL Boeri full faces at Tri-City. If oval, look around or on the web for Giro Ravine SC in XL or I think they made a face mask for the Fuse. Oh, and there are a bunch of Red Full Face at Tri-city also.

Originally posted by Randy S.

Giro, K2 and Briko fit oval melons better (I have a big oval melon).

Mines more like a cucumber. Mom claims she sat up in bed during labour and that's why it's squished on the sides.

Anyways, I know Giro fits oval better but it's one of the few to offer a 62 cm size, snowboard or bike. Plus they make pretty good gear.

Guest nuclearboarder

Boeri's line this year, and in previous years, is much more round than most of the others out there. I work at a ski shop and have compared Boeri, K2 and Marker pretty extensively. You can usually get the Boeri's in an XL or XXL too, I believe.

My b/f has a huge round melon as well-- Boeri was the only that fit him. Looks like he's got half a bowling ball on his head, but he's safe, you know?

Good luck!