Note to New Members ×

Burton CO2 binding problems

jtslalom

My binding angles on my soft board are 54 front and 57 back. I just bought a pair of Burton CO2 bindings last night from a local shop. While trying to mount them to my board I realized that the options for binding angles on CO2 are anywhere from 27 to -27 degrees from flat. I then placed the binding straight along the board length and quickly realized that I can also get 63 to 90 degrees. 63 is just to steep and 27 is not steep enough. I hope that Burton has some other disc that can remedy this problem. Does any one have these bindings here on Bomber and if so, can you lead me to a solution? I called customer service but they were closed. I will try again today and also go back to the shop that I bought them from. I have a funny feeling that there may not be an easy solution.

Well after talking to the Burton customer rep. I found that there is nothing I can do to remedy this problem. Although the Burton CO2 bindings are made strong, they are not intended to be ridden with high binding angles. A matter of fact, the are intended to be ridden with angels from +27 to -27 and no where else. That sucks.

So they aren't ICS bindings? I thought that was going to be the issue but now that I think about it you wouldn't be able to mount it at 90 degrees.

So it is just a disc problem? Why can't you just find a disc from a different binding and use that?

Regarding "they are not intended to be ridden with high binding angles...", isn't the issue more with the actual highback of the binding than anything else? I would think that MOST softboot bindings are not designed to be used at angles that high only because of the design of the HB not being able to be rotated to be more parrallel to the backside edge. Some can be rotated on that axis but not very many.

What binding were you using before?

So they aren't ICS bindings? I thought that was going to be the issue but now that I think about it you wouldn't be able to mount it at 90 degrees.

So it is just a disc problem? Why can't you just find a disc from a different binding and use that?

ICS is only in reference to the snowboard because you can use the channel to have an "infinite" stance width. Really great for fine tuning stance widths, but be weary of the minimum width you can have with an ICS board. For some it doesn't go narrow enough.

The Burton EST uses a channel system to mount the bindings. There's a screw on either side of the binding that "locks" how much of an angle he can dial in. Understandably, that's why he can't get the high angles he wants. EST bindings don't use discs so there's no "infinite" rotation like you would get on a standard binding. There is no "infinite" range of angles he can use to setup the bindings, so Burton doesn't use ICS to describe their bindings.

I think the OP's best bet is to just sell it and get bindings that use discs.

These bindings are not the EST system bindings. They are not made for that Burton channel system. They are made for regular hole patterns.

I know what you are talking about and these bindings are not for that channel thing.

The bindings I was riding on were older Ride LS bindings. I also have a pair of Burton Cartel bindings from about 6 years ago. None of the discs from those two sets of bindings fit the new pattern of the CO2 bindings. You would have to see the new pattern in order to understand what I am talking about. I actually think there is no way to remedy this problem. I plan on taking them back to the shop I bought them from this evening. If they can't come up with a solution I will either trade them for some other pair that I can get the angles I want or just get my money back.

MikeC,

They were 10/11 bindings that I just brought back to the store. We tried all sorts of differennt discs but none seemed to work other than the ones the bindings were designed for. They are different from this years Cartel discs. I was told that it is a new design. Do yourself a favor and check out a new pair of Burton CO2 bindings. You'll quickly see what I am talking about. I ended up getting my money back. For now I am using my 6 year old Burton Cartel bindings. I am still looking for a new pair of bindings.

Sort of what he said, really. If you're using hard boots, you don't want to use duck stance, but if you're using soft boots... well they don't work at all in my experience at any higher angles - that's not what they're for.

So yes, it's a shame you can't crank them to where you want them, but on reflection you probably wouldn't like it if you could.

bobdea and philw,

I hope some day we can ride together. I think then you will understand why I prefer to ride soft boots over hard boots. I spent 15 years in hard boots and feel that what ever I could do riding hard boots, I can do riding soft boots. My angles are steep and I ride my soft decks just like I was riding one of my hard decks. The difference is that I am more comfortable and when it comes time to riding bumps and trees I turn my binding angles flat and rip thru them. I think that hard booting is awesome but you don't need one to carve. I am able to lay out carves on a soft deck as well as I could with a hard deck. My current soft deck is so good that even on icy days I can still drive a good line. To me soft riding it is a cheper, more comfortable and versitale ride. IMO

bobdea and philw,

I hope some day we can ride together. I think then you will understand why I prefer to ride soft boots over hard boots. I spent 15 years in hard boots and feel that what ever I could do riding hard boots, I can do riding soft boots. My angles are steep and I ride my soft decks just like I was riding one of my hard decks. The difference is that I am more comfortable and when it comes time to riding bumps and trees I turn my binding angles flat and rip thru them. I think that hard booting is awesome but you don't need one to carve. I am able to lay out carves on a soft deck as well as I could with a hard deck. My current soft deck is so good that even on icy days I can still drive a good line. To me soft riding it is a cheper, more comfortable and versitale ride. IMO

I ride soft boots too.

what I am saying is the gear works better with it's specific intended use.

you'll have a lot less headaches and likely your boots will last longer using lower angles.

if drag is a issue get a different board......

what size foot and what width board you on.

Bobdea,

Well all 3 soft boards I ride are pretty wide including a 28.5 cm wide k2Fatbob. My other two boards are a Ride Timeless 168 and a Status Uno 166. I squeeze my foot into a size 9 boot. I like them on the tighter side. Drag really is only an issue on the Burton bindings with the toe strap. My ride bindings were awesome and never had toe drag. I've decided to get another pair of Ride bindings called Double Agents. They are rated a 9 out of 10 for stiffness. I think they will do just fine.

I will be up at Killington for the first weekend in March. I will be riding with three other soft booters that rip and an old USSA ski racer. This guy can turn his boards. If you can make it there I would like to make some runs with you. We might make a trip to Sugarbush as well that weekend. I will post details on the local vt. board.