Note to New Members ×

Back seat riding

Bobby Buggs

I was out this week working on things and noticed on my VSR it really liked to carve from the back seat on heel sides. I kept saying to my self get off the tail but the board really reacted well :confused: Im not sure if its the design or if its just me missing the fact all these years that its ok to use the tail to carve on heelside. I always felt I needed to be front or centered most of the time.

Comments?

I was out this week working on things and noticed on my VSR it really liked to carve from the back seat on heel sides. I kept saying to my self get off the tail but the board really reacted well :confused: Im not sure if its the design or if its just me missing the fact all these years that its ok to use the tail to carve on heelside. I always felt I needed to be front or centered most of the time.

Comments?

back seat or just more centered than your older boards?

all the newer boards with the variable radiuses I've been on don't required as much weight shifting.

Comments?

I found the Coiler VSR I had rode that way a bit. Overall though it rides best centered with a slight weight shift toward the tail at the end of the turn. Too far back and you will be late initiating your next turn.

My current Kessler SL will kick your butt if you get in the back seat.

Mine is an x-tight.....

Depending on how you body is positioned it behaves differently.

If it is late in the day and I just want it to cruise, get in the back seat and it just makes nice long carves.

Get more centered and it is a more active ride, more aggressive, wants to turn. If you need to tighten it up just lean forward, want to draw it out, get on the tail.

As you can guess, if you drive the nose this board TURNS! Quite aggressive and it WANTS to turn. If you need to open up the carve a little, just shift your weight back to get desired result....

Does it seem like it may be a little soft for your weight?

Mine is quite balanced.

Why do you think this is and the Coiler wont

in the case of my kessler it's probably a mix of a shallower sidecut in the back and a very stiff tail. if you get in the back seat and try to turn it the board will either skid become a rocket for a board it's size.

Why do you think this is and the Coiler wont

The Coiler VSR AM XT that I had was one of the most user friendly boards at low to moderate speeds I have ridden.

The opposite of being able to ride back a bit on the Coiler but not the Kessler, the Coiler's tail would sometimes release if I did not have enough weight on the it, but the Kessler tail seems to hold better. It needs to be ridden harder on the nose anyway so it works out.

The sidecuts, outlines, and taper of the Kessler and the Coiler I am speaking about are very close.

The flex patterns are quite different. The Kessler is proportionally quite a bit stiffer in the tail than the Coiler (it is stiffer everywhere else too). It has a lot more rebound than the Coiler that kicks you forward into the next turn, or kicks you around if you are not ready to go with it.

The Kessler also comes out of turns much faster than the Coiler. They just do not lose much speed when turning. If you are in the back seat, you are way behind where the board is about to be and are going to be in trouble.

Are you sure you're not just exploiting the SYTT? I rode a SYTT Coiler and I didn't like it at all. It was really forklifty-feeling.

My Tomahawk has the proportionally stiffest tail of all my boards. Except for almost killing me on the third turn I did on it, I found everything to be great about that board. It definitely boots you in the hind quarter at the end of every turn, and if you push it back on the ground it's extremely fast. On hard snow it becomes a hoverboard.

But tailriding it has the same effect Bob described. Or worse, since it's considerably snappier than a newschool race board, it will just dart out and leave you on your ass.

Comments?

Stop it!!! Don't be stupid!!:ices_ange

Well, I'm not sure I should reveal the SYTT for fear of being murdered by the SSoSYTT.

But it's something to do with soft-tailed Coilers. ;)

SSoSYTT, We stand united;).

I was out again today and really focused on where I was for and aft, staying centered most of the time. I started to play on the tail to see how far back I could go till I could not recover:freak3:, once I established that I realized I was not so far back after all. I switched up to my Proton 156 which has like 1/4 of the sweetspot just make sure the Coiler was not making me soft and didnt skip a beat. So All is good :biggthump

I did notice the Coiler tapered tail makes for easy spins to fakie and back, nice for a little show off heel side to spin to stop by the lift:D

So here's a question, We have binding placement (fore/aft, stance width), toe/heel lift, and canting, but has anyone played with different binding height? That is changing the height of one binding, relative to the other. This would change the fore/aft balance in much the same way as changing the delta on a ski binding.

...but has anyone played with different binding height?

That is changing the height of one binding, relative to the other.

Played with, no.

Resolved, yes.

This would change the fore/aft balance in much the same way as changing the delta on a ski binding.

E.G., If the rear binding is too high relative to the front, the rider may offset to the rear of the board to compensate, (particularly on the heelside turn) thus entering the toeside 'back of center', so to speak. Beyond a certain height difference, you may see overcompensation to the opposite extent.

For riders with a known structural leg length difference, this is an important consideration.

E.G., If the rear binding is too high relative to the front, the rider may offset to the rear of the board to compensate, (particularly on the heelside turn)

Interesting Eric, I use the F2 Intec with the stock large heel lift rear and a small toe lift front, that would not equate to the rear binding being high compared to the front would it??

Suggesting that riding the tail of the board is beneficial and in good form definately qualifies as bad advice. The biggest problem (or benefit) with metal variable SCR rockered decambered decks is that they allow bad form to go unpunished. Variable sidcuts with a larger SCR at the tail especailly big ones like a 24m accelerate like the space shuttle when your on the tail, soo much that you find yourself desperately trying to scrub speed. If your on a board with a decreasing radi tail, the quick snap of a tight turn catches you off guard and the next thng you kmow your trying to hold on to a tight turn with your mass to the aft and eventually your ass on the snow.

So if a technique works on the board you're on, you shouldn't use it because it doesn't work on a board a you might be on at another time, or never be on?

BobD,

I think maybe I misunderstood your initial question. Sorry about that.

When you refer to an 'imbalance', how would you describe such?

BobbyB,

Toe and heel lift will affect you more across the width of the board, then along the length. Stance angle will play some part in the extent to which it matters.

So in answer to your query; no, not really.

BobD,

I think maybe I misunderstood your initial question. Sorry about that.

When you refer to an 'imbalance', how would you describe such?

I've been playing around with toe lift on ski bindings, and finding out for myself how lifting the toe brings my weight forward. So in Bobby's case, his rear ankle might be several mm higher than the front ankle. Would a spacer under the front binding, cause the same effect that is found with ski bindings?