Note to New Members ×

Chris Karol to run the Race Clinic On Wednesday at Highlands!

fin

Just got word that the famed racer/coach Chris Karol will be running the race clinic on Wednesday (Feb 9th) at Highlands :biggthump

Chris is an amazing racer with the background/history to back it up. He now runs www.fastsnowboarding.com and is based out of Utah.

Chris will be setting up a course at around 10am on the Smuggler Trail. This was the same place as last year, the run right above the demo tent. It will be roped off and all ours!

If you have never tried running gates, now is the opportunity :biggthump

Wish I was going to be there on Wed, I would love to run gates with him again.

Chris is very knowledgable about racing and riding in general. Milk him for all the info that you can if you get a chance. Oh yeah, he is a very nice guy also and obviously willing to share his knowledge since he is holding this clinic.

Ink

Ink,

You old gate-jockey! Come on out and do it. What, are you going to wait til the "next opportunity"? Wait, wait, wait.....then your 6 feet under ;)

Love to have you come out Ink if you can swing it. I bet you can still lay down a mean line in the course.

Tell you what, you come out, we race, you beat me, you get a prize......well a free beer......domestic......10 oz......

Fin, I am coming out for Monday and Tuesday with D.T., but have to work on Wednesday. I haven't been in gates since the last time the Mtn. Dew Vertical Challenge came through Lovey. Good fun but I didn't set the FTD for snowboards.

Mmmmm, free domestic 10oz...that right there is worth me spending some money on better beer. :)

See you in a couple weeks.

Ink

Fin,

Thank you for the invitation! And thank's Ink, sorry you won't be able to make it. I've missed the SES for the last couple years and really look forward being a part of it this year!

I'll set a GS and leave it open for anyone to roll through and also offer the clinic to anybody who is interested. If there is interest in running Slalom, I can set one if we have room for 2 courses side by side. (if not I can reset a SL after the GS)

Sounds like the finish area for the course will be right at the base of Thunderbowl by the demo tents... perfect!

Lets say 10:30 - 12:30 for the clinic., meet at 10:30 at the base of the GS course in front of the demo tents.

I'll also bring our timing system along just for fun. Maybe we can try some new competition formats after lunch... high speed limbo? Of course this means we'll have to come up with prizes. Might need a separate committee for that. Any volunteers?

If anybody has questions or suggestions please let me know on this thread.

Thanks Bomber crew! I look forward to seeing ya'll in Aspen!!

I would be very interested. I asume I will have to buy lift ticket for Wednesdsay. Is this clinic part of the SES or you have to pay for it separetly? I like to run NASTAR at my local place. I was silver/gold runner on my K2 and soft boots. Last weekend I tried my new Donec FCII, well it was not so good I was skidding most of the turn. Long story short I would love to improve my gate running.

KK

Michelle, 10:00 it is then!

I'll plan to go up at 9:00 to set the course but let me know if there's any problem with that. (a few volunteers to help set would be great)

... good question Mike T.

Lets say "intermediate" ability and above for this clinic, no gate experience necessary. So as long as you can make it from the top of Thunderbowl lift to the top of the course in one piece you should be fine.

The morning clinic will be spent both in and out (mostly out) of the gates working on the what, why and how of things. I expect we'll be riding more in the training area on Thunderbowl rather than hooning all over the mountain. Helps keep things focused and also makes it easier for me to work with wider range of abilities.

After lunch and the group photo at 1:00 I'd like to just open up the course and let everybody have fun running gates.

This is gonna be fun, no need to be competitive about it but I will have timing available in the afternoon in case we need to settle any trash talk!

I invited Chris Klug to come by on Wednesday for the FAST race clinic. He says he'll "be there, unless it pukes the night before, six inch rule in effect."

He also mentioned that he wants to sell a bunch of his alpine gear (Burton race, PJ's!!!?, and new Kesslers. Not sure on details but you can ask him in person on Wednesday if interested.

Two Ravens, I hope you swing by and try it out. Sounds like we may have a few people trying gates for the first time which is great! ... just another way to have fun on a snowboard!!

Btw - Thinking I'll set both slalom and GS side by side in the morning, then set dual GS for the afternoon.

this is awesome, too bad we'll miss it

Love to have you come out Ink if you can swing it. I bet you can still lay down a mean line in the course.

fin, you should know better... the only thing Ink is laying down these days is on the inside of his Depends!

SWAG ALERT!!

Big thanks to Nori from Teton-Bros apparel. ( www.teton-bros.com ) Nori has donated a sweet puffy down jacket along with a few other goodies to raffle off at the FAST race clinic. Sign up to win at the Bomber tent on Wednesday!!!

Teton Bros. a small company from Japan and sponsor of FAST, makes very nice quality outdoor gear and casual wear. Not a big company, but really just one guy (Nori) who loves the outdoors, ski's like a maniac and knows how to make great gear.

Please check it out online and on facebook! Teton-Bros will be available in the USA next season.

THANK YOU NORI!!

post-1135-141842334892_thumb.jpg

Big thanks to Fin, Michelle and all who showed up for the FAST race clinic. Hope you all had fun and were able to pick up a few pointers along the way.

For those who signed up for the Teton-Bros gear, the gear will be given away at the Swanquet so now everyone as SES has a shot at winning it. Not sure what Michelle will make you do to win it but wish I was there to find out!

Thanks again, hope to see you all next year!

Chris Karol