Note to New Members ×

Is this dangerous?

arneburner

I wanted to add a little sideways flex to some TD 1's and came up with this. Took a few runs on it yesterday, and it felt pretty good. I am a little concerned that it may load up the threaded parts of the bails, and cause a failure. I have already broken one heel bail without this setup. Any constructive comments are welcome.

Thanks

post-6992-141842330761_thumb.jpg

New bindings are waaaayyyy cheaper than surgery and rehab.

Quoted for truth.

I think I like to save money at least as much as anyone else (probably more), but the potential injuries from having a front binding fail at speed would scare me away from that type of mod. If you pick up a pair of Sidewinders and decide you don't like them, you can resell them and only lose $50 or so...think of it as demoing bindings.

Arne,

The others are correct, DON'T DO IT!

PM Ice and see if he can bring his Sidewinders for you to test this weekend. I like mine so far. I tested with all yellow, too soft, yellow e-rings and purple e-pads, better but still to soft, blue and purple, much better. And you can customize the SWs to match what you want the feel to be.

Ink

That tree as a spare tire is freakin' genius! Assuming he only used it to get to the next exit or nearest garage.

Old school dude! (as in Aztec old)

Cool, as long as:

You don't follow close.

You don't catch on fire.

You don't meet police.

You didn't cut down the tree from my front yard :eek:

Otherwise, been done for centuries with success.

Just wasn't typically pulled by gas vehicles at 50mph. ;)

Yes, the old emeries had a similar concept of soild centre and soft sides.

The problem is u are flexing by distorting the sole relative to the bail/toe clip. Which was why the emeries were a bit fragile and also booted out sometimes.

The only way to introduce flex would be so the entire boot sole and bail all flex together, otherwise given how far we've come since the emery in boots and techique I think you'll destroy yourself.

If u must use odd add ons, try synthetic chopping boards. They will be less prone to splitting or splintering. I'd go for td sidewinders.