Note to New Members ×

FWIW: My "soft boot" set up

DiveBomber

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seth Wescott says BlueB is wrong. :p

I have no beef with Westcott (except for snatching the gold from our guy :) ), or anybody else riding softies... The fact that he won 2 Olympic Golds on softies still doesn't prove that I'm wrong. Re-read my posts - I'm not really saying that softies are right or wrong. I did say that the CONCEPT is wrong - trying to make a performance product out of short lived materials and using a primitive yet complicated board interface. I tried to explain that IF the development had been done with h/boots and plates, we could have had a propper hard freeride setup by now, that would have the performance of softies and some of the hard, yet be more durable, more adjustable, easier interfaced to the bindings, drier and suported the foot better.

Seriously man, I could not disagree more with your post.

Ya? Which part? :D

Softboots:

The majority of snowboarding is done to emulate what can be done on a skateboard, on the snow......

Are your feet attached to a skateboard?

Most kids riding today want the MOST flexible boot and still be able to control the edges somewhat. They use their ankles to angle the board on a slide, they tweak, they twist. I other words, softboots were and are not designed to do the type of riding YOU are trying to do on them.

Flame on good buddies.:flamethro

No ways I'll flame anyone, I'm all about civil discussions ;)

I guess most kids are not too interested in the type of skateboarding I do, either... Wanna no attachments feeling of a skateboard - then ride the Noboard and, oups, suddenly you are surfing! As for the rails and boxes, IMHO, they have no business in the mountain. Those disciplines started as street hulliganism and suddenly we have them on snow?!? I cant remember too many stairs on the slopes that needed the rails... Snow features, jumps, rollers, even the pipe, yes by all means, as they emmulate the natural features otherwise found on the hill.

OK, I was going to stay out of this, but........

Softboots:

The majority of snowboarding is done to emulate what can be done on a skateboard, on the snow......

Are your feet attached to a skateboard?

Most kids riding today want the MOST flexible boot and still be able to control the edges somewhat. They use their ankles to angle the board on a slide, they tweak, they twist. I other words, softboots were and are not designed to do the type of riding YOU are trying to do on them.

In the proper setting, softboots ROCK!

Flame on good buddies.:flamethro

This post contains a few generalizations, please just roll with them...;)

Last I recall, snowboarding was supposed to be Surfing on snow, not skateboarding on snow.

I have malamutes and CO2's they still suck. To get the response I want I have to tighten the boot so much it hurts my calf after just staning in them for 5 min.... If i really try to carve I get NASTY boot out

I don't know much about hardboots but this sounds like you've tightened your boots too much and are not pressuring the board properly. just sayin....

My soft set up is Burton Hail (super soft) and CO2s and i can get super high edge angles all through out the turn.

Well I have to disagree, with those that disagree.

Blue is right.

The basic design of soft boots suck. The problem is they dont make "soft" hard boots. It seems as if there was a split from the very start. Hard boots, for carving... Soft leather type boots for everything else.

But what if they made "hard shelled" boots and bindings that were desgined for freeride??

Well thats what ive tried to do here.

SO whats the issue?? I get LESS overhang with hard boots, the right support, the Same amount of flex, My calves dont burn, I dont have to adjust straps every time, I get better performance, more comfort....

Wheres the argument FOR soft boots??

I think some, no, many people dont get that its NOT soley about the stiffeness of hardboots. Think about it this way, Its like the difference between a mtn bike that is flexy in the rear vs a suspension frame that pivots (flexes) where it should and not where it shouldnt. Its hard to do that with leather and fabric. (but alot cheaper to sew fabric together than make a mould and form plastic.)

Wheres the argument FOR soft boots??

ever watched a pipe comp, a BX or just about any pro rider riding big mountain stuff?

I recall seeing peter bauer (SP?) in a ad riding softies a couple years ago.

the fact is softboots are superior for some things, regardless of what you want to think. if they were not we'd not see pros using them for most things......

ever watched a pipe comp, a BX or just about any pro rider riding big mountain stuff?

I recall seeing peter bauer (SP?) in a ad riding softies a couple years ago.

the fact is softboots are superior for some things, regardless of what you want to think. if they were not we'd not see pros using them for most things......

What percent of the total daily recreational snowboarders on any given mountain are in the H pipe or on the BX course or sliding rails in the park? Mom, Dad and the kids are usually trying to carve down the groomed trails on the freestyle set up that the industry lays out before them.

What percent of the total daily recreational snowboarders on any given mountain are in the H pipe or on the BX course or sliding rails in the park? Mom, Dad and the kids are usually trying to carve down the groomed trails on the freestyle set up that the industry lays out before them.

actually they are usually going where ever their feet are pointed! which is usually NOT where the board is pointed.

correct, what's your point?

I would say anywhere you do not have "mountains", the vast majority of the people....... Around here you have kids in the park and halfpipe that can barely even stand up. Mom and Dad are usually on skis.

correct, what's your point?

The question was mostly sincere w/o a point. You guys would know better than It as I'm honestly not on the snow much these days. Just wondering how many weekenders/holiday riders these days are actually using that big kick tail, soft flex, wide stance, etc. Not that I have an agenda to change these people, just idle chit chat on my part.

so i want to keep my loose fitting hardboots and my TD1 & TD2 setups TD1 fronts on two boards and backs with TD2, the first F2 speed X cross is in my mind fine except perhaps a bit soft in the tip. New set up on a Volkl coal is about to get "exciting?" adding a 1/4 5000 series aluminum plate the width of board and 6 inches infront of front foot, and 4 inches in back of rear. in an effort to stiffin board up and still flex has 1/16 inch rubber on bottom side as a dampener . the 1/4 inch plate should eliminate ripping out inserts or breaking another board while transfering some pressure away from the center and more to trhe edges. thoughts? other than nuts:freak3:

Hei Dive-Bomber

are you aware of these bindings mage by F2

http://www.blue-tomato.com/en/Hard-Bindings-Step-In/F2-FTWO-Intec-RS-10-11/product.bto?product=300286763

the binding is uber flexy allowing ridiculous amount of lateral movement (I use them on a f2 eliminator for pow and bad condition)

they are making it also in standard form called carve flex or something like that and those are even flexier than the step in version.

• 2 weeks later...
Hei Dive-Bomber

are you aware of these bindings mage by F2

http://www.blue-tomato.com/en/Hard-Bindings-Step-In/F2-FTWO-Intec-RS-10-11/product.bto?product=300286763

the binding is uber flexy allowing ridiculous amount of lateral movement (I use them on a f2 eliminator for pow and bad condition)

they are making it also in standard form called carve flex or something like that and those are even flexier than the step in version.

Thanks, I wasn't

I run an F2 step-in on the rear and a sidewinder on the front, now I'll run an F2 Titanflex on the rear