Note to New Members ×

Ever tried to convince someone NOT to straightline?

SWriverstone

Effing straightliners. They pi$$ me off! Not one...but TWO people crashed into me at our local resort...on the same run! On a blue slope that was NOT crowded. Both idiots started well behind me (they were well above me on the slope). And I was carving in a 100% consistent, predictable way, edge-to-edge. (Both were skiers. I was okay in both collisions...they both exploded into a ball of flying skis and poles.)

These people were just straightlining the mountain...and clearly not in control.

I mean c'mon—it really is NOT difficult to look downhill, see someone crossing the slope, and adjust your speed so your path doesn't intersect with theirs. (Wow! What a concept!)

Okay. I know this happens, and that's ok. But is it really an East Coast thing? Do people out west straightline slopes all the time? Do average people routinely try to pretend they're Olympic downhillers?

I should digress a moment to clarify my definition of "straightlining:" IMO, straightlining is riding down a slope and staying within a path that is no more than 6-8 feet wide and straight down the slope (e.g. not crossing the slope at all). I couldn't care less if people are "slaloming" back and forth within that 6-8 foot path...if their path is that narrow, they're straightlining!

Why do so few people actually enjoy turning??? Has anyone here ever tried saying to a straightliner...

"Y'know, you'd have more fun if you tried using more of the slope's width now and then." Or...

"Y'know, you are making your runs a lot shorter than necessary, and spending a lot more time riding the lift and less time on the slopes."

I know there will probably be some folks who read this and vehemently declare that what I call straightlining is normal and everyone does it...and that we carvers are the dangerous exceptions so we need to stay out of the straightliners' way because we are the eccentric minority.

Meh. I don't agree with that at all. But if what I call straightlining is really the rule (and we are the exception)...then I will dedicate the rest of my carving life to convincing straightliners thaat actually turning can be fun!

Scott

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my friends like to bomb down in what you define as a straight line. They go really fast and I always say they got some cajones to do what they do. They don't try to convince me to bomb and I don't try to convince them to rail. Our friendships have lasted this way :biggthump

The masses just aren't use to seeing carvers take up the hill. There's no doubt that people behind you should make adjustments but personally I don't trust someone else to do that. I try to carve defensively and so far have avoided collisions *knock on wood*.

I think about 90% of skiers fall into your definition of straight-liner. You are not going to convince anyone there is anything wrong with it, because there isn't. It is just the environment we have to deal with. If I notice someone like this trying to pass me, I either adjust my line or stop. I think the best thing to do is to wait for a good lull in traffic before starting downhill.

I find the more people out there bombing down their own 6' path, the more I end up doing the exact same thing, I'm always paranoid that if i take up a fair chunk of restate on a run I'm just begging to get hit by a straightliner.

Straightliners who know what they are doing and can control their trajectory are OK by me. What I strongly object to are punk types that get to speed and then are just along for the white knuckle ride until they slow down enough to assert control again.

I think my idea of a straightliner is different from yours. To me a straightliner is someone who isn't doing ANY speed checks or side to side whatever.

I did a bit of straightlining myself just recently. From the lift of my local hill I saw a small group of softbooters, one by one, straightline a run I'm very familiar with (the slope our racecourse is set on). They appeared safe and the run was absolutely empty. With them gone, I straightlined it also. The next time I was at the top they were gathered. I watched the 1st 2 push off and straightline again. When they were 1/3 of the way down I pushed off. It felt sooo good to watch them do a doubletake as I blew past them!

I consider it straight-lining when you don't turn at all. (My personal favorite is when kids sit on the tails of their skis and shoot down the hill :freak3:). If you are in some sort of turning rhythm (even if its in a narrow swath along the fall-line), I think you have a better chance of understanding your speed and having a feeling for how your equipment will react if you need to alter a turn to avoid someone--thus making it a bit safer.

Hey SWriverstone.... is that some WW in your avatar? I cannot tell much from the low res image, but it looks like open cross tube and wheels. You still flying?

Here is my son's 1st solo "landing" 8-8-07. Wheels came in handy. 1st and only time he actually needed them.

post-1998-141842330596_thumb.jpg

I did a lot of stop & wait at the side of the trail the 3 times I rode during hell week. Last tue. was like a crowded powder sat.

"moving gates" can be fun, If they're spread out enough, but you still have to keep your head on a swivel looking out for those :AR15firining strait liners.

Schwietzer has wider, longer runs than most east coast areas, so take that with a grain of salt. Come to NICE week and check'em out, mid-week usually has near empty runs.

I think about 90% of skiers fall into your definition of straight-liner. You are not going to convince anyone there is anything wrong with it, because there isn't. It is just the environment we have to deal with.

Yes, I agree. But it's worth mentioning that I do (once in a great while around here) see skiers who actually carve large-radius turns and use more of the slope width (and yes, they usually look like they know what they're doing). So it's not the case that ALL skiers ride straight down the mountain.

Straightliners who know what they are doing and can control their trajectory are OK by me. What I strongly object to are punk types that get to speed and then are just along for the white knuckle ride until they slow down enough to assert control again.

Yeah, true...I have no problem if they're in control (which the guys who clobbered me obviously weren't).

Believe me, I ** do ** maintain a high state of awareness all the time. I've developed an instinctive survival habit of looking uphill at the beginning of every turn...and I often do stop and wait for gaps.

The problem with the out-of-control straightliners is that they usually aren't anywhere to be seen when you're actually looking...and then (due to their crazy-speed) appear out of nowhere when you aren't looking...

Hey SWriverstone.... is that some WW in your avatar? I cannot tell much from the low res image, but it looks like open cross tube and wheels. You still flying?

Yep, that was my first glider, a Wills Wing Falcon 195. I now have a Wills Wing Eagle 180. I've taken a hiatus from flying (after flying a lot between 2004-2008)...mainly to make room for other sports (like mountain biking). But I plan to get back into it again at some point!

Scott

Here is my son's 1st solo "landing" 8-8-07. Wheels came in handy. 1st and only time he actually needed them.

Ha! The ol' belly landing—I know it well, LOL. Did lots of those when I was learning! If he sticks with it, he'll get his flare down and land on his feet almost every time. :)

Scott

Effing straightliners. They pi$$ me off! Not one...but TWO people crashed into me at our local resort...on the same run! On a blue slope that was NOT crowded. Both idiots started well behind me (they were well above me on the slope). And I was carving in a 100% consistent, predictable way, edge-to-edge. (Both were skiers. I was okay in both collisions...they both exploded into a ball of flying skis and poles.)

These people were just straightlining the mountain...and clearly not in control.

I mean c'mon?it really is NOT difficult to look downhill, see someone crossing the slope, and adjust your speed so your path doesn't intersect with theirs. (Wow! What a concept!)

Okay. I know this happens, and that's ok. But is it really an East Coast thing? Do people out west straightline slopes all the time?

Meh. I don't agree with that at all. But if what I call straightlining is really the rule (and we are the exception)...then I will dedicate the rest of my carving life to convincing straightliners thaat actually turning can be fun!

Scott

We deal with this a lot at my mountain. Mostly on one slope, White Lightning. Its a black diamond,wide and straight as an arrow, next to a lift so everyone can see you. I'm going to profile a bit here, Its almost universally a teenage boy who skis one or two time a season. They bomb straight down the run, usually on the ragged edge of control, Starter jacket flapping, poles flailing, no regard for slope conditions or traffic levels. They have ZERO intention of making a turn and less ability to actually make it happen. Its scary as hell to watch.

I think it is kind of a Mid Atlantic thing. Its like an amusement park to these people. They don't realize they can hurt themselves, let alone anyone else. They aren't raised in a ski culture where they understand and obey the skier's responibility code. They've got 8 hours to ski as fast as they can and go on every "black diamond" so they can brag to the rest of the scout troop.

Skiing a fast tight line is one thing. You can see when someone has it all together and is just hauling ass. The guys Scott is talking about are a threat to everyone's safety. Our local hills are just to crowded to handle their lack of control.

I've been patrolling for 16 years now and this is one of the very few things I will yank a pass for, no questions asked.

________

Weed bubblers

straight liner... death bombers....welcome to southern carving.... I keep my head on a pivot

My def of a straight liner... race "tuck", poles up like antlers, jacket half unzipped and flapping... and no frikin chance of being able to make an evasive maneuver

this = true

They are usually well protected from abrasions because of their Carhartt ski suits too.

________

Pattaya appartments

I think it is a bit more of a problem on the east than the west. Mostly has to do with the space available on the mountain. When I lived in PA (10+ years ago), I remembered being warned to never go to Hunter Mountain, NY on a weekend if you actually wanted to have room to turn! I'm sure it does happen in the west too as some people have a speed addiction and just want to go!

One other comment I'd like to make, is that skiers will be turning more (if room allows) as more are starting to learn the benefits of shaped skis and how they are able to turn. I've seen more and more skiers (mostly racers or ex-racers at this point) at my home mountain here in Montana/Idaho (yep, right on the border so I can say it's in both states!) that are making bigger turns and doing so very gracefully.... AND having fun doing it! I do think you will start to see more skiers making carved turns across the fall line. I hope those straightliners who chose to ski (or ride) the way they do will at least become more aware of it!

There are some days here that I do stop on the side of a run and wait for a crowd to pass (was behind a group of 4 or 5 kids yesterday following down in a snake like manner on a blue - but that doesn't happen often here!). I remember in past years it's always worse in Olympic years too! (I hope at this point, that isn't so fresh in these people's minds anymore)

I think I know the slope you're talking about wvrocks—I remember that being fun to carve...when there was room to!

And it's nice to hear that some skiers are starting to get it. Like I said, I honestly don't know who wouldn't want to carve bug turns??? You can still go fast and get the speed buzz...but with SO much more fun! (And a longer run.)

Here's a perfect graphic depiction of the local hills...imagine trying to carve through this! LOL

matrix-animated.gif

:D

Scott

I just get out of the way. Pull over or if it is a wide run, stick to the far opposite side.

They do not have a clue how much danger they are putting other people in and they are not paying a single bit of attention to your "consistent" carves or the rules. As someone said already, to them, you are just getting in the way.

This tragic incident just happened in Montana. Eyewitnesses say the boarder was straightlining at a very high rate of speed.

They do not have a clue how much danger they are putting other people in and they are not paying a single bit of attention to your "consistent" carves or the rules. As someone said already, to them, you are just getting in the way.

ha, I actually had an old guy yell at me from behind to "get out of the way!" These people think that once you carve away from them that you are not coming back.

These people think that once you carve away from them that you are not coming back.

And they could not even imagine you would be back before they could even get past you.

Very few riders on the hill can comprehend the high speed we travel from one side of the run to the other (if it is narrower or the carver is on a bigger turning board).

Part of the problem is a lot of them think faster=right of way. More then a couple of times I've seen one of these yahoo's almost take someone out, then overheard them in the lift line "did you see that guy cut me off?" I think "down hill rider has right of way" is a little too vague for them.:smashfrea

Let em straightline.

My dad burns up trail like a hardbooter on his skis. We ski together 50-60 times a year, sometimes 40k feet in a day, on the same run at the same time. We still do not ski anywhere near each other because of the dynamics involved in avoiding a collision.

Look uphill a lot, or look like an angry d-bag, but remember that the responsibility code is only a list of rules..

By the way, if I were to rewrite the rules, people making turns that cross the fall line would have to yield to those who do not. It would be the "Go find some other idiot to injure" clause.

I think I'm probably sometimes a "straight liner" by that definition... I quite like hammering short swings in down the edge of the piste. But I've never crashed into anyone and I'm completely in control. I'm aware of the rules and you'll not find I've broken any. So I guess I disagree with this one.

I'm obviously against idiots who crash into people or who don't follow the rules of the road. I don't think there's much to be gained from trying to persuade them to take more of the piste up - as someone said, if anything that'd be worse, as then you'd have no idea where they are.

Just look over both shoulders all the time, know what's behind you at all times. My choice is simply to not make those big carves if there's a risk. There is obviously an alternative, but why put yourself at risk. There are idiots, they can't be convinced of anything.