158 Madd original

big canuck

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished riding it again for the first time this year. That board still slays. So confidence inspiring. Can't explain it....

Love it.:biggthump

WHAT? You can't have fun on OLD GEAR!

Seriously though,

Have you ridden any of the born-again Madd 158's? I wonder how they compare with the original when ridden by big brutes such as myself.

Yeah, I had 2 if the last batch 58s that had the stiffness ratings stamped on the end of the board, still have one. They're great boards but the originals have faster bases and a diff flex patern. They seem to have unbelievable edge hold, they seem to hold an edge better than any other board i've tried when it's firm out there.

Yes I have metal Coilers and a metal tomahawk (love em both) but everytime I ride that orig MADD my game seems to go up two notches. Ask anyone who owns one I bet they agree.

It's my meager $0.02

I havn't ridden the bx board yet. too many sticks in the quiver and not enough days on the snow unfortunatley.

John Gilmour said a lot them broke as well (i think) so that makes me think twice too under my fat ass.

Yeah, I ripped the inserts out of mine :(

John was really cool about it though and gave a full refund on top of a little bit of extra cash (good enough for a decent dinner night) for all my troubles and the time.

Yeah, I had 2 if the last batch 58s that had the stiffness ratings stamped on the end of the board, still have one. They're great boards but the originals have faster bases and a diff flex patern. They seem to have unbelievable edge hold, they seem to hold an edge better than any other board i've tried when it's firm out there.

How would you rate the edge hold of the '07 158 you bought from me against the original?

I'd say 20-25% more edge hold. This all being said, get a rider with more skill I'm sure he could make an old Switchblade stick better. But for me, the board is unreal.

umm, based on the way I asked the question, it looks like you're saying the '07 158 has 20-25% more edge hold. Is that what you meant?

Other way around the orig has more edge hold. Did you ever try an orig Jack? Curious to hear your thoughts.

I figured. :( I never tried one back when they were made because at that point $800 for a snowboard was a ludicrous proposition to me. heh, funny how that's now a relative bargain for a good board.

I never tried one since having my eyes opened to top-shelf alpine boards because I'm not sure I want to know. Seems like it will never be duplicated, so there wouldn't be much of a point, sadly. It would be like falling in love with Kodachrome.

I had two 170 reissues and one 158 which I think I sold immediately since I had the older blems.

The original 158 has far more edge hold than both the reissue 158 and the reissue 170.

I'd say 30-35% more grip and on ice the margin goes up even more.

The speckled base original 180 was crazy.... and the extra long carbon 170's speckleds were great too...those actually had a longer lifespan than the regular carbon 170's...which sadly would eventually get soft in the nose or tail... mostly because they could be ridden in softer snow and get stuffed into moguls and overflexed.

The original 158's just seem to last (base nearly indestructible + super hard edges) as they don't get overflexed...perhaps because they don't get ridden in softer slop.

I like that Coiler (Bruce) and Donek (Sean) try to make copies.... in hopes that they will nail it one day...sooner or later they will....

Making Madds in Europe with the high euro... we just can't produce them.

+1 on the originals riding better.

The original 158 is the most fun I've had on ice. I went out of my way to find the steepest, most scraped off glare ice on the mountain and the original would just hold on to anything.

The new issues were fun but definitely not the same.

There was something about the flex of the originals as well. It seemed sooo smooth and truly gave back what you put into it. The pop seemed to just happen where as the new ones I had to make it happen - if that makes sense.

I used to read about the originals tossing you if you weren't "on it" but I found it very user friendly and intuitive to ride.

This is a pathetic admissions, but this is the thread for it: Whenever I hear about one of the Madd 158s I can't help but wonder how you don't go over the handlebars on such a "short" board. This is likely because I've never had the pleasure of ridding one of these beasts. I just can't help but think I'd be "up and over" immediately.

Yo, mr Colin, Have you ridden a SL board? You just adjust your style. I think they can be lot easier to ride on smaller, more crowded hills. That being said you can get going pretty good on that little sucker. Its a VSR so the length doesnt reflect its stability IMO.

Is the newest Kemp among us yet??:biggthump

Good luck bud, doesn't change anything.... Bwahahaha!:D

Yes I have metal Coilers and a metal tomahawk (love em both) but everytime I ride that orig MADD my game seems to go up two notches. Ask anyone who owns one I bet they agree.

It's my meager $0.02

I don't own the original Madd 158 tho I have the batch from the last two or three batches ago. I love it so much. It even says "The Pimp." :)

Anyways, seriously, I've ridden Fin's original Madd 158. omg. I can tell the difference real quick on the difference of the slickiness. The railing, they both are the same, imo. Tho I'm still on the look out for the original Madd 158, tho I think the chances are real nil as bad as it is for my looking out for the old Lib Tech Emma Peel (a particular graphic -- 1998 or so).

Sh*t. Im gettin' too old.

I don't own the original Madd 158 tho I have the batch from the last two or three batches ago. I love it so much. It even says "The Pimp." :)

Anyways, seriously, I've ridden Fin's original Madd 158. omg. I can tell the difference real quick on the difference of the slickiness. The railing, they both are the same, imo. Tho I'm still on the look out for the original Madd 158, tho I think the chances are real nil as bad as it is for my looking out for the old Lib Tech Emma Peel (a particular graphic -- 1998 or so).

Sh*t. Im gettin' too old.

The Emma Peel I carried those in my shop in 1991 with Diana Rigg on it. i think another had Victoria Jealouse on it too.