Note to New Members ×

Why would I want a "Boiler Plate"

Bobby Buggs

It's a suspension system. The way it works is like this. As your board carves and also when it encounters bumps while carving, it bends into an arc. Karl-style plates like the Boiler/Apex/Donek/etc act as a chord of constant length that spans that arc. Your feet ride on that chord, so your feet are always on the same plane, no matter what the arc (your board) is doing below. The result is less jarring to the rider, and the board is free to flex more naturally.

The red line BX is a chord:

200px-Chord_in_mathematics.svg.png

Why would you want a Boiler and not an Apex? It will be significantly less expensive. Why would you want a Boiler and not a Donek? The plate is made of carbon fiber and is lighter. The Donek plate is a snowboard-like composite. The Boiler will be significantly more expensive than the Donek though.

Will depend on the plate and how you set it up but you will want to try one for sure as it provides the most wonderful ride your board can give you. Smooths out the bumps but allows the board to bend as it is designed to without flat spots under your feet better on ice better on hard pack. The one feature you have to pay attention to is once the board is into a turn if you load the nose you will get a surprise!

How's the added weight of the plate system influencing from accident/injury point of view? I'm concerned 'bout some "heavy momentum" twisting my poor bones.

That of course is not a problem for guys who never fall:biggthump

I do tend to go past my personal limits and skils so that is an issue for me.

What's the experience?

What is height of Boiler Plate? or is it still classified info?

Weight, if weight of plate is equal or less than wet snow, then what is weight of wet snow and plate :eek:

From experience i would say that weight is issue for many riders. I'm used to it for years due being on Tinkler plates so long.

Thanks Lowrider,

The only plate I've tried is a VIST, and that thing felt scary heavy with the plate and snow on board. Especially at low speeds it was like having some cement at your feet. That's why I'm asking if it really ads significantly to twisting forces when you fall or is it just my mental thing. What's your experience when falling with a plate? Like a total yardsale if that has happened to you with a plate?

Speed is an interesting point. Many people have said they go faster with a plate. And that plates are difficult at low speeds. In freecarving there's no clock.

So how do you feel with a plate, do you have to go faster to get the same sensations? How's you speed control? Do you just need to go faster to make the board/plate combo to perform or be manageable?

Or do you go faster because you feel more comfortable? Have you seen any difference in your turn radius, do you need more or less space sideways?

Too many questions, sorry:smashfrea but at the moment there is no gear to try out by myself

Does anyone need a BTS? Nope, but I wouldn't give mine up if I still rode Deeluxe boots. Some people prefer using the 'locked or open' standard Deeluxe adjuster though.

It's going to be a taste issue. It sounds like the benefits will be obvious to anyone that gets on one, but you have to deal with the drawbacks of cost, weight, and stack height. Some will think it's worth putting up with those, some won't.