Note to New Members ×

I just fell in love.....

Michelle

I'm still trying to figure out how I'll ever work up the courage to go and have a crap whilst leaving my hugely expensive new board outside.
if your bindings are mounted such that you have two adjacent holes free, a pair of M6 eye bolts could be used to install a retaining bar. then chain it up like a bike. should be enough to deter casual unorganised thievery.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'll ever work up the courage to go and have a crap whilst leaving my hugely expensive new board outside. Not that anyone at your average resort would be able to ride it away, but they could carry it off and hang it on their wall...
That is a major problem. When my pride and joy was new, coffee and toilet breaks were a nervous occasion. One day at Flaine I had it propped up against the restaurant fence with my ladies ski's, went for coffee and ablutions, came back the skis were there but my board was not:eek:. I felt like a close family member had just passesd away but when we got closer I found it had slipped down behind the fence. I have never know relief like it.

The good thing is most people don't know what an alpine board is so they will be stealing Burton's etc.

The best thing to do is have coffee outside at waitered tables and take the Kessler to the toilet. As there is not normally newspapers in the toilets it will be something good to look at.

And finally, Michelle that board is awsome. Specs please and why no upm?

I'm still trying to figure out how I'll ever work up the courage to go and have a crap whilst leaving my hugely expensive new board outside.
I take my board EVERYWHERE now. In the stall, in the bathroom with me (I just secured that no one will even touch the board!), getting coffee, etc with mountain employees shaking their finger at me the entire way. They can chase me down all they want, I won't have my board stolen again. Bring it!

I always thought no one would want to steal my alpine board either, until someone did. My previous custom board along with my freestyle board. I've had other boards stolen as well. Hence, the very public post with pics! There's a very special place in the world for people who steal snowboards....that moment when you absolutely know it's gone is like losing a true love.

two_ravens, what makes you think I've been hanging out with Angie? :rolleyes: Actually, she's the entire reason for this new board. I rode hers for 1/2 day last year, and that's when the puppy love began.

Holy Crap, boards stolen in Colorado, Scotland and UK :eek:

I remember the first time this Ice Coaster came out west and had a cable lock on my 'ski's', everyone looked at me like I had four eyes and was from New Jersey or New york :D.

No one locked their stuff, except me. Now it sounds as bad there as it is here.

One thing I felt, with a custom topsheet, it would be a one of a kind and easy to spot. I guess that don't do much good IF it is hanging on somebody's wall.

There are indeed, some sorry excuses of people in existence I guess.

yup. there are scum everywhere.

i guess one of the advantages of being in a group is having someone to watch your board ... unless your binding settings match and there's a queue inside.

back to the original topic though (gasp!) .. how stiff is that board? could a tall person grasp it by tip and tail, give it a shake and make 'wibba-wobba' sounds? ;)

When I have to leave a board often I'll just wrap the leash around a pole or something and clip it to itself. My guess is that a thief is going to grab the board and walk off but they will just leave it if it doesn't come easily.

Any kind of a lock is really just to slow down a thief anyway. All locks can be defeated.

Any kind of a lock is really just to slow down a thief anyway. All locks can be defeated.
Exactly. Which is why it comes in the bathroom with me.

When people are stealing boards, they are usually not looking at the brand or type, they want to resell them for $$. If it looks cool, even better. Honestly, I don't think 99% of the people on this forum would ever steal someone's hard boot board, but at least now if it does get stolen everyone knows what it looks like!

And yes, this happens not only in CO, but in ASPEN of all places! When I went to the police station to report it, the officer said there was a bunch of people reporting things stolen from that ONE day I happened to be in Aspen. The sucky part is that once the guy at the pawn shop said "I don't want this one- what the hell is that?" it probably ended up in the dumpster.

how stiff is that board? could a tall person grasp it by tip and tail, give it a shake and make 'wibba-wobba' sounds? ;)

I'm not revealing anything about it...I like to keep you guys guessing.

Holy Crap, boards stolen in Colorado, Scotland and UK :eek:

:) Well Actually Scotland's still in the UK, and I've never had a board stolen in either place (or Colorado), probably because I'm paranoid.

Here I'd never leave anything steal-able (eg cameras, computers) in a car. I've never had anything stolen, but we definitely have bad guys.

Now that boards are basically £1,000 a throw it kind of makes me more worried about leaving that much easily nickable gear around. I suppose you're relatively safe half-way up a mountain, assuming they're not capable of carrying your beast under their arm, but any base area has to be easy pickings for bad guys. I think I'll take a bike lock..

Yeah, and most of them are pretty lazy and if they see a cable locked snowboard and an unlocked board, which one do you think they are going to take? I always lock up my gear, and I was really angry when some jerkoff stole my leash off my board last year. Now I keep it attached to my boot and clip it onto my binding.

Michelle, wasn't yours stolen out of your car or the roof rack?