Note to New Members ×

Prior FLC or WCRM? 163 or 169?

Flywalker

What's wrong with the BOL longboard bias? To me a bias would suggest that the vast majority of riders active on BOL prefer longboards, right? Just asking.:eplus2:

So long as you know it's a bias.

I have a 163 SL board and I have to keep my speed down if I ride it at the biggest resort in North America (which incidentally is the resort in question here). There are speed cops everywhere. Still, I can ride all the mountain, bumps and all.

Meanwhile people here are pushing two things at the same time:

1. riding hugely long GS-style boards
  2. riding motorways (easy blue pistes)

It's an approach, but I didn't take up snowboarding to cruse the beginner slopes.

Obviously for males who are at all insecure about "size", big boards are the way to go ;-)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL at this thread!

I find a long board (generally with a larger sidecut radius) on an icy and narrow run bordered with trees to be quite stressful. I also find a short board (generally with a tighter sidecut radius) on a wide open slope with great snow to be limiting. I just pick the right one for the conditions and have a lot of fun, with no regard between the possible relationship between board length, penis size, and ego fragility.

On my favourite local steep-ish run, I carve about the same radius turns with a 167 board (~10.5m sidecut) as I do with a 182 (~15m sidecut). I haven't been anal enough to measure, but I estimate those turns are about a 4-5m radius on a 35-40 degree slope. That surprised me when looking down from the chair after a board change.

If any of you have ever ridden with James Ong you know that a light guy can throw down on tight steep groomers on a long board. If you have to keep your speed in check my argument would be that you aren't riding a steep enough run. On steeps carving boards are slow because we finish our turns. Getting run over from behind is the more significant concern.

To be clear, at Whistler, which was what the OP was asking about, there are a lot of speed cops who force you to keep your speed "in check". It's not optional.

For a board which is "the right size" and which is designed for a specific speed, you can choose a range of lengths and flexes. Some people like longer floppier boards; others like shorter stiffer boards. This choice is what we're discussing.

Obviously for males who are at all insecure about "size", big boards are the way to go ;-)

Jeez guys l had no idea this thread was gonna head in this direction(insert rolling eyes icon here)

Prior won't make boards any bigger than 205cm so l guess l'm outta luck...LOL!

On my favourite local steep-ish run, I carve about the same radius turns with a 167 board (~10.5m sidecut) as I do with a 182 (~15m sidecut). I haven't been anal enough to measure, but I estimate those turns are about a 4-5m radius on a 35-40 degree slope. That surprised me when looking down from the chair after a board change.

This is very interesting.

l have never ridden at Whistler but perhaps will get a chance while l am in Vancouver in January. Here in Hokkaido the resorts aren't very steep. Nothing here is steep except the 1972 Olympic mountain... Teine. There you can find steep but it's also fairly narrow. The best riding at that mountain is off piste, though... and the trees are tight!

The resort l ride at the most...Rusutsu... has lots of wide open groomers that would probably be of the blue variety. That's why l am in the trees most of the time on skis. lt'll be a great resort for teaching my wife to carve... but it isn't the most challenging place.

Looking forward to it!

So, here is why you want to go with the FLC in 174 or 177:

-Flickability. The board is so easy to flick around in emergency situations, as well as being super damp to absorb irregularities in the snow.

-Ridability. The boards can ride both longer and shorter than they are, depending on what you want to do with them. Going into the '60's will be super short, IMO.

-Sidecut. The board is not hooky. You tell it what to do and it does it. No extra hooking up the hill, or not disengaging when you want it to.

So, here is why you want to go with the FLC in 174 or 177:

-Flickability. The board is so easy to flick around in emergency situations, as well as being super damp to absorb irregularities in the snow.

-Ridability. The boards can ride both longer and shorter than they are, depending on what you want to do with them. Going into the '60's will be super short, IMO.

-Sidecut. The board is not hooky. You tell it what to do and it does it. No extra hooking up the hill, or not disengaging when you want it to.

I would be careful with your certainty when applying your preferences to another rider.

Your advice would be wrong if it were given to me. This same advice has been given to me by others and it took me a few years to move beyond it through personal experience.

BTW. I have ridden Kesslers, Coilers, Doneks, Priors, and F2s in the 170s, many of those brands in the 160s, and the Prior Wcrm in 183 and 187. Most of them were metal constuction. Nothing compares, for me, to riding modern boards in the 160s.

If any of you have ever ridden with James Ong you know that a light guy can throw down on tight steep groomers on a long board. If you have to keep your speed in check my argument would be that you aren't riding a steep enough run. On steeps carving boards are slow because we finish our turns. Getting run over from behind is the more significant concern.

Where I ride this is absolutely the case.I love the athletic challenge of bending a long board into turn shapes that facillitate speed control on steep, narrow slopes.For me,a very different and more satisfying feel than with short boards

I'm often the last to the bottom in whatever posse; because of how much time I spend in each turn,or because of how I utilize all the terrain at my disposal.Yeeeehaaa!!!

This is very interesting.

l have never ridden at Whistler but perhaps will get a chance while l am in Vancouver in January. Here in Hokkaido the resorts aren't very steep. Nothing here is steep except the 1972 Olympic mountain... Teine. There you can find steep but it's also fairly narrow. The best riding at that mountain is off piste, though... and the trees are tight!

The resort l ride at the most...Rusutsu... has lots of wide open groomers that would probably be of the blue variety. That's why l am in the trees most of the time on skis. lt'll be a great resort for teaching my wife to carve... but it isn't the most challenging place.

There's always a challenge with alpine snowboarding... Like someone said, try to bend you board as much as possible :eplus2: Or try eurocarving, or go as fast as you can... There are heaps of ways to utilize the slope, the whole slope becomes the terrain park.

I'm 5'7" 150lbs (170lbs with gears) and what the manufacturer recently recommended me was 163. The effective edge of the board is 151cm, respectively, which is comparable to flc 169.

Since flc does have relatively shorter effective edge, you may like it, you may want to get longer board later, I don't know. What I can tell you is that, if you go 169 or over, you'll still like it. My starting board was 168 with an effective edge of 146cm and sidecut radius of 12m; you're taller and heavier than me so you might want to go for something bigger.

I recon you should look beyond "length" and consider othe parameters, such as effective edge, sidecut radius, flex etc...

Or maybe you can test ride some of Prior's offerings when you go to Vancouver in Jan.

someone should design a killer 'slalom' -length/flex board, but with 'GS' sidecut radii! :freak3:

I've heard madd 158 had similar characteristics... well, other than sidecut. Can't wait for Coiler's Angrry!

I recon you should look beyond "length" and consider othe parameters, such as effective edge, sidecut radius, flex etc...

Or maybe you can test ride some of Prior's offerings when you go to Vancouver in Jan.

My old board had an effective edge of 142cm. Apparently it was considered fairly stiff by modern standards. l wish l knew what the side cut radius was! lt ran 27/21/26 nose to tail, insets fairly well back of centre.

9 extra cm of edge and metal seems like quite a step up from what l am used to. Please remember that my only reference point is my old board from 1994.

l'll be in Vancouver for only 6 days so if Prior doesn't have anything pre-made they'll have to post it to Japan which means adding shipping and Customs to a $1,000 board. And... l won't be able to ride it while l am at home where the BIG mountains are!

A longer board makes higher speeds more comfortable. Higher speeds mask technique flaws.

How so? It seems that when going faster there is less room for error as it is much easier to wash out in a turn.

I agree with Buell, modern board design and material means you can ride longer boards easier than before...

:) I don't know about that, but modern designs mean the converse is also true: short boards are easier to ride too.

What's wrong with the bias?

Nothing at all; each to their own, although see notes above about Whistler.

How so? It seems that when going faster there is less room for error as it is much easier to wash out in a turn.

I should have been more clear. I have seen guys get on a longer board and just rip (bomb, not carve) down trails. They put the board on edge back and forth a few times and if you asked them they would tell you they were carving. A longer board makes that "type" of riding easier.

http://members.fortunecity.com/hhitme/skiradius.html

Looks like the sidecut radius of your board is between 9 to 9.5m, depending on the set back.

I agree with Buell, modern board design and material means you can ride longer boards easier than before...

lf this is the case then my old snowboard had more side cut than even the smallest FLC!

Not much in it between 169 and 173. 4 cm... but the side cut radius changes from 11/13M to 12/14M.

Definitely NOT thinking of going longer than 173.

I don't think I said this but I do believe it is true. As is being discussed, the longer boards mask technique flaws on easy terrain at lower speeds. As things get more challenging, the longer boards require much more skill to ride.

The benefit of a longer board for a beginner / intermediate is a bigger sweet spot. The board is not as sensitive to the rider being out of position as long as the rider is on easier runs.

On steeper terrain, narrower terrain, or more difficult snow conditions the longer board becomes much harder for the beginner to carve. The beginner / intermediate rider is not as good at cramming it into a smaller turn radius and the board picks up a lot more speed during each turn. The rider is then either going to fast for the conditions or has already run out of real estate and must skid the board to regain control (or has run off the groom - very dangerous).

:) I don't know about that, but modern designs mean the converse is also true: short boards are easier to ride too.

This is what I have said. I find the shorter boards more versatile and playful than longer boards. I think the new shorter boards are easier for beginners in a wider variety of terrain and snow conditions. Riding a smaller board really well, just like a longer board takes a lot of skill.