Note to New Members ×

Prior FLC or WCRM? 163 or 169?

Flywalker

OK....

We're getting down to the wire now. l have slowly but surely narrowed it down to one of these two boards, in one of these two lengths. After all the reading l have done and all the advice l have been given, l have finally been dragged.... kicking and screaming... into the 21st century.

There's a fairly good chance that l am going to end up with a decent powder oriented alpine board. l have been given massive amounts of help from BlueB for which l am very grateful. His patience knows no bounds!

l have read a few reviews on here of the WCRM but so far not much on the FLC. l am not a racer, and although l do like to open it up l enjoy making turns the most. My last board was a Sims CON 166... a dinosaur by today's standards, and pretty stiff, apparently.

Although l will have a powder oriented board(probably) l have to be honest and say that it's unlikely that l will stay 100% on the groomers with whichever one of these boards l buy. Sometimes the trees are calling me and l must heed their voice.

Absolutely l will be choosing the wide option.

l'm around 5'10" and floating at 165-170lbs. Boot size 27. Hardbooting since 1988.... but haven't ridden since 2002.

Thanks in advance(^_^)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FLC is the newer design that is most similar to the newest designs from other top builders. With its multiradius sidecut and significant taper, it should release better from turns and be a more playful board overall than the WCRM.

The taper will also help it in the soft snow off piste.

Yeah, moving in towards the FLC actually.

ls 169 a bit much for all mountain playing?

I don't ride carve boards off piste but considering you were riding a 166 off piste it seems the 169 should be fine. The various sizes of stock WCMRs I had a couple of years ago were very forgiving and rode a bit shorter than their overall length.

Why so short? I would say go with the 177, as a 169 will not do as well off piste, and will be limiting on piste. Plus the added length will offset the not so big nose. I would not go that short.

Really?!

Wow... hadn't even thought of going longer. Can't imagine 170+ in the trees....YIKES! l guess the 163 is really too short to make the most of the groomers. My weight sits right in the middle of the range of the FLC 169 wide. l was thinking that would be ideal.

l have had boat loads of emails go back and forth with Prior already. So far their comments were more along the lines of 163 if l am determined to be in the trees lots and 169 if l am on the groomers more. Perhaps if l said it was a dedicated groomer they would recommend longer...

l should have probably said at the beginning that l prefer making lots of turns per run than going mach 3 all the way down.

Really?!

l should have probably said at the beginning that l prefer making lots of turns per run than going mach 3 all the way down.

I think long boards are a USA thing. It used to be the same with skis. I won't speculate about why.

In resorts like Whistler you can't really get up to GS speeds without the speed cops getting you, so small boards work much better there.

Even I don't ride a 163 :eplus2:

Haha, I have a 164 Coiler with a new 168 Coiler on the way, so I'd recommend not going shorter than 169 with heavy consideration on the next side up. I find that Metal boards are much easier to "have your way with", so longer is more rideable.

Also, have you considered a more powder specific yet still carveable board if you're that pow heavy and plan on riding trees more than groom?

Hi Angie!

Thanks for dropping in. Yeah, l think l have a 163 Dynastar 3800 on the way as a pow only board courtesy of Mr. Scooby. Not locked up yet but in negotiations. l hadn't ever thought of going longer than 169 since l am comparing to my old Sims CON 166... the only board l have to reference with. l guess 173 isn't so much different... but it just seems like A LOT of board to deal with if l venture off the groomers.

l have finally moved away from the idea of having just one board... but l still want either board to overlap their duties just a little bit. At my local resort it's kind of a PITA to go back to my van for a board change if l didn't choose the right one straight off. Be nice if whatever is on my feet is still amusing at least until lunch time.

Beware of the BOL longboard bias.

It got me in the beginning. I quickly was on a 183 Prior WCMR. It was easy enough to ride on most slopes but then I got a 177 Coiler which was more fun. Then a 174, next a 165, and now a 162 Kessler SL.

Smaller boards allow you to play much more on the groomer's terrain variations. The new designs are fast, stable, and maneuverable. Best of all worlds to me.

I think long boards are a USA thing. It used to be the same with skis. I won't speculate about why.

In resorts like Whistler you can't really get up to GS speeds without the speed cops getting you, so small boards work much better there.

Even on our local 300' bump, 180+ boards are fun to ride, unless it is very crowded. You don't need to be going at mach speed to carve a 180+, once you are used to it. Now the new designs seem to make turns that an older board 10 to 15 cm shorter would have made. If you are really pushing a slalom board hard, you had better be very fit to last more than a couple of hours.

Hi Angie;

My experience is that one board just never does it all. You can pick up a shorter, wider board on Ebay, new or used, for the soft snow at very reasonable prices. Used boards for powder make sense since they wear out slowly over many seasons. Then get a new carving board that you really enjoy carving on and never take it in the trees!

And by the way, I'm going to have a brand new Prior WCR 169 for sale on Ebay this week. It is really cool looking, black and silver with the totem pole logo. I'll cross post here as well.

Smaller boards allow you to play much more on the groomer's terrain variations. The new designs are fast, stable, and maneuverable. Best of all worlds to me.

I have to say I tend to be more of this school of thought. Yeah, l love to carve a turn but I can't help but think that the longer you go, the less versatile the board becomes.

Mind you, l have no metal experience. That being said... regardless of metal l have a really tough time envisioning a 175+cm board as something that you can do anything other than ride on groomed runs at face melting speeds.

The longer the board, the bigger the turning radius, right? A big board means big turns then, naturally. l like making nice round turns without traveling all that much across the fall line. Finish a turn and launch into the next juicy, round half-circle. l wish l knew the stats of my old board to compare because l really liked the shape of turn that board made. Probably has no bearing on today's shapes and flex patterns, though.

Maybe l should also point out that l live in Hokkaido, Japan. Nothing here is above the tree line. The groomers are generally well maintained but we do receive a great deal of snow and the staff have their work cut out for them to stay on top of it. Also, it can get fairly snug in the trees if l do venture off piste. l know most of you are dead against taking your carving board off the groomers which may have a lot to do with your opinions. ln the 5 years that l have skied here l have never hit a rock, on or off the groomed runs. Under the snow on the groomers is mostly grass and in the trees the snow sits on a thick layer of wide leafed plants called "sa-sa" in Japanese. Sure, there are fallen trees etc but like l said l haven't hit anything on skis which tend to sit deeper in the snow.

LOL.... OK, OK.... it's looking a lot more like 169 or 173 (^_-)

Mind you, l have no metal experience.

This is a Key here. I ride a 177 Coiler AM-t as my daily ride, I never felt it was too long to do what ever I ask it to do. Metal seems to be the Ultimate Equalizer. I bet you will be very happy with a 173 and wont believe how nimble it is within the first hour you ride it.

PLEASE check in here once you hit the snow, I cant wait to hear your review of metal. Now go and buy that damn board already

I've been a proponent of FlyWalker (and his wife) getting more than one board for exact this reason.

FlyWalker - in response to the Proton...I'd go shorter. As far as riding that board in trees though, good luck to her :eek:

Thanks Angie!

Kaoru is going with the 148 Proton. l want us to be on speaking terms when we get off the hill. When she gets to the point of making heel side turns like the one in your avatar we'll start thinking of going longer (^_-)

BlueB is going to do me a straight swap of my Rossi Throttle for an eDeck 148 that he picked up with her in mind. Props out to the new Lord of the Ruts! l never ride that Rossi, nor plan to. The eDeck should be a good board for her to get started with and keep as a pow board once she's ready to hop on the Proton.

This is a Key here. I ride a 177 Coiler AM-t as my daily ride, I never felt it was too long to do what ever I ask it to do. Metal seems to be the Ultimate Equalizer. I bet you will be very happy with a 173 and wont believe how nimble it is within the first hour you ride it.

PLEASE check in here once you hit the snow, I cant wait to hear your review of metal. Now go and buy that damn board already

Likewise, metal and the new designs make a smaller board much easier to ride and more versitile with a large range of different turqn sizes. They are incredibly stable and therefore much faster than pre-metal and pre-decambered boards.