Note to New Members ×

Custom fees

Surf Quebec

They mostly don't charge the import duty, if seller stated "made in USA" or "made in Canada", or even left that blank (sometimes). However, in most of the cases they'll charge the GST/PST/HST, based on HIGHER of the two values, insured or declared. Sometimes they'll do it even if it says "gift". Sometimes they don't do it...

Over and above, if it went UPS, or FedEx (UPS is worse), you'll be charged a handling/brokerage fee, from $50 and up...

USPS/Canada POst charge $5 handling fee, IF there were customs fees.

I do not know what would be the import duty on a non-North American product...

It just seems to be the luck of the draw. The last board I got from Buell just showed up on the doorstep, and one I ordered for my workmate was the same. The one before that I got charged $12. Go figure.

From my experience, if it`s under a $200 declared value and it comes Canada Post-USPS, you`ve got a reasonable chance of just having it arrive. Anything more than that, they tend to pull you up.

+1 million for USPS over UPS. I've paid 3/4 the value of the item in brokerage fees/taxes before with UPS. With USPS you pay the same as you would if you carried it across the border in your car, plus the ~$5 charge.

FedEx is quite high too, and you don't have the option of brokering it yourself like you do with UPS.

If you reject a UPS package the sender pays the return fees.

If it is your first time getting ripped off by UPS Ground you can have the brokerage fees removed.

First off reject the package. They will take it to the nearest hub and keep it there for 5 days. Call up customer service and tell them you had no idea about the fees. If it's your first time they should voluntarily waive them. If they don't hang up and call back to get a different CSR.

Saying that, I would just use USPS and avoid all hassle and hidden fees.

I do not know what would be the import duty on a non-North American product...

It is 7% for duty, unless there isn't a company in Canada that makes the same items. Then it is 0%.

Snowboards may or may not get through without paying it. I sent the BX board I just bought to my drop box in WA state for pickup.

By the book 'snowboard boots' are 22.5% duty, then you pay tax on top of that. Ouch. But 'ski boots' are duty free.

Will you find the one customs agent that actually looks up the fee? It's a lottery. I've yet to buy a set of 'snowboard boots' from the US, though I've got a couple pairs of 'ski boots'. ;)

I've heard similar stories from customers that it's a lottery as to if you get charged or not. USPS is the best for sending smaller stuff, but with boards it depends on where it's going. Some places have restrictions on size, and the services have size restrictions as well.

Global Express Maximum length: 46 inches

Express Mail Maximum length: 42 inches

Priority Mail Maximum length: 79 inches

If it is coming from a manufacturer, they should be able to use a NAFTA agreement, and you shouldn't pay any duties. If it is coming used, then you will have to pay based on the $$ amount sold.

UPS and Fed Ex do charge brokerage fees. From our web site and based on my UPS agent's exact words: "UPS has now implemented a flat rate fee for brokerage of $10 for all shipments going Standard Ground to Canada valued under $200. Over $200 regular brokerage fees apply. Expedited, Express, and Express Saver shipments to Canada via UPS the brokerages fees are included in the quote. This also applies to Expedited, Express, and Express Saver shipments to other countries."

Hope this helps you guys! We honestly have nothing to do with these fees, and we don't even know they are being charged unless someone emails me telling me so. You can call your local customs office and find out more information.