Note to New Members ×

Donek Snowboards T-Shirt Sighting

utahcarver

The Discovery Channel had a program on last night narrated by Morgan Freeman called 'Through The Worm Hole'. In the episode, a Theoretical Physicist named Garrett Liesi is seen wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the Donek logo. This guy is one smart cookie, ya'll!

Is Mr. Liesi a BOL member?

Mark

I hadn't seen it! WOW! When he came to the SES a few years ago, I asked what he did. He said "I'm a physicist" and I went "pfft yeah right" until I saw him in a magazine. I know it's not what I'll be when I grow up - he explained it in layman's terms and i still don't get it :confused:

Super cool Garrett - defy all odds and keep creating (and surfing, riding, etc) !

Pow: No problem. Like anyone else, I was stunned to see a familiar logo from carving on television. Initially, I didn't think I was seeing correctly. I got up close to the screen to make sure it was a Donek logo.

If I remember correctly, there is older SES footage of Mr. Liesi riding in his lab coat. Anyone?

Mark

I don't think Garrett carves that much anymore - though he's been up to visit my neck of the woods (SF) twice or so in the last few years to give talks at and attend science/physics conferences, and we've done some kitesurfing in the bay when he's free and I'm uninjured :)

Here's him in a lab coat from... gosh, 7-8 years ago? The last year that the SES was actually half in Summit county. I think this was at Beaver Creek... on Harrier? It's been a while.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7929436707249581510#

This brings up an interesting question that I really never ask any of my fellow carvers - what do they do for a living? I know it doesn't really matter, but at the same time it would be cool to know that I'm riding beside a guy who studies worm holes and can rip it! Thanks for the video Ken.

This brings up an interesting question that I really never ask any of my fellow carvers - what do they do for a living? I know it doesn't really matter, but at the same time it would be cool to know that I'm riding beside a guy who studies worm holes and can rip it! Thanks for the video Ken.

It's weird when I find out what people do for a living. I just know you guys as "carvers". Everyone already knows what I do. LOL

What do you do Steve?

Sounds like a good thread starter. Thought I had saw one already, I'll have to search around.

Hey Kids,

Yah, I'm a flakey BOL member, but I still fly the colors, and get out and carve a few weeks a year. The kitesurfing on Maui has been too good during the winter to leave.

I expect I'll be in Tahoe again for a week in February, and some aerospace engineers invited me to give a keynote for their conference in Big Sky in March; in exchange for lift tickets -- woot!

Every once in a while I think about making it out for another SES... but if you knew how much fun kitesurfing in Maui is in the winter, you'd understand. It's not like I'm missing SES because I'm behind a desk. :D I do miss it though, so I'll come back to the fold eventually... and maybe do another season in the Rockies.

Best,

Garrett

P.S. Michelle, I wouldn't have believed me either. And I think Ken still doesn't believe me -- heh.

P.P.S. Latest physics is going well.