Note to New Members ×

Mike Jacoby Injured in Mt Bike Accident

Yesterday Mike Jacoby was hurt while riding.

Here are a couple of posts from his Facebook page.

(most recent update)

Mike is doing a lot better. He has some movement responding to stimulus etc. Vitals signs are normal. He has a concussion and a broken jaw. Not opening his eyes as yet. Please do not call the ICU. They need to do their job. I will try to keep you informed here as best I can. I will be up there tomorrow. Thanks for all of your concern and prayers.

(older update)

Okay...I just received an update on Mike. For those of you who do not know, Mike is currently unconscious at OHSU with a broken jaw after a biking accident on Post Canyon early last night. He was found within approx a 1/2 hr. of his fall & then life flighted to Portland. He hasn't regained conscious...

For the younger or new to alpine riders. Mike Jacoby is first off one hell of a nice guy, a multi world champion alpine racer, amazing athlete to say the least. I hope and pray for a full and speedy recovery.

post-198-141842318797_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842318799_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842318801_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also he was a half pipe pioneer. some of his riding was a fairly large contribution modern inverted tricks.

from the snowboard trick glossary: J-Tear: This is an invert that is rotated about 540 degrees in a frontside direction while the snowboarder has one or both hands on the lip of the wall.

Updates From Facebook: (Mike's sister)

Adeena Jacoby Mcburney post today: Mike played footsie with my hand when I asked him how he was doing. He has strong feet. Rolled eyes open for Mom. Filled him in on all the wishes from his friends. Spirits lifting.

Adeena Jacoby Mcburney post yesterday: Mike opened his eyes at since last night. Lights are on. He is controling his own brain waves. MRI to come. Getting out of ICU and into room with light. Joker is strong. Pray for a positive MRI.

Thanks for all the positive vibs and prayer.

also he was a half pipe pioneer. some of his riding was a fairly large contribution modern inverted tricks.

from the snowboard trick glossary: J-Tear: This is an invert that is rotated about 540 degrees in a frontside direction while the snowboarder has one or both hands on the lip of the wall.

So true Bob, he told me that the trick was largely by mistake. It caught on!!

Cool to have a trick named after you. :D

post-198-141842318821_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842318824_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842318825_thumb.jpg

So true Bob, he told me that the trick was largely by mistake. It caught on!!

Cool to have a trick named after you. :D

bryan, think you could dig up some footy or a pic of a j tear?

it was the the ****, I know there's more than one vid on you tube that features said trick but I cant remember names so it makes searching a bitch.

bryan, think you could dig up some footy or a pic of a j tear?

it was the the ****, I know there's more than one vid on you tube that features said trick but I cant remember names so it makes searching a bitch.

I re-posted a couple of old videos to my FB. I don't know of a way to link them here.

Couple cool photos from Mike's FB.

Keep the good vibes coming. Mike is still in ICU.

post-198-141842318827_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842318828_thumb.jpg

post-198-14184231883_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the cool photos and positive vibe everyone. Mike is as strong and determined a person as I have ever met. If anyone can come back from a serious injury , it is Mike. Keep the kind thoughts coming his way. Thanks, Bryan

His sister has asked that we post jokes to tell Mike. Those that are Friends on Facebook can of course do that directly. Seems like a fun idea to do at BOL too? Stories of fun times with Mike too.

This joke is over 1000 characters for facebook, so I'm gonna post it here for the Joker.

A joke.

Ok, I got a joke for you, Joker:

Two Large Plastic Garbage Bags

A little old lady was walking down the street dragging two large plastic garbage bags behind her. One of the bags rips, and every once in a while a $20 bill falls out onto the sidewalk.

Noticing this, a policeman stops her, and says, "Ma'am, there are $20 bills falling out of your bag."

"Oh, really? Darn!" said the little old lady. "I'd better go back, and see if I can find them. Thanks for telling me."

"Well, now, not so fast," says the cop. "How did you get all that money? You didn't steal it, did you?"

"Oh, no", said the little old lady. "You see, my back yard is right next to the football stadium parking lot. On game days, a lot of fans come and pee through the fence into my flower garden. So, I stand behind the fence with my hedge clippers. Each time some guy sticks his thing through the fence, I say, '$20 or off it comes'."

"Well, that seems only fair" laughs the cop. "OK. Good luck! Oh, by the way, what's in the other bag?"

"Well, you know, not everybody pays."

From Facebook update today. Adeena Jacoby Mcburney- Mike had another progressive day. Yeah! He opened those blue eyes and moved both hands on command. All but one assist tube removed. Neuro surgeon is pleased with recovery so far. Waiting for Mike to cough on command. Feeling thankful

Gina Van Hoose Latest update from Mike's mom & dad-He's slowly improving each day. He has opened his eyes on command, thumbs up etc. but NOT awake yet. They said his complexion looked good today-healthier. They are going to start feeding him some solid food-not just IV drip. No MRI yet. He has to be able to cough on command befo...re he can lie flat for that test. The staff moves him around & sits him up periodically. His blood pressure goes up when they read him funny Facebook posts so keep them coming. The family really enjoys them as well!

KGW is reporting on Mike's accident on the local news. I can record it on my Comcast DVR, no way to transfer it unfortunately. Some vintage footage of Mike snowboarding.

Link to their website version of the story

<object height="288" width="470"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.kgw.com/v/?i=98256929" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.kgw.com/v/?i=98256929" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="288" wmode="transparent" width="470"></embed></object>

I am happy to do so. Mike has made so many friends over his 41 years. Looking at his amazing life and what ethusiasm and kindness he has shown is very humbling. Keep the good thoughts flowing. Bryan

Cards can be sent to:

Mike Jacoby

7A Trauma ICU/ OHSU

3181 SW Sam Jackson Pk Rd

Portland, OR 97239

Todays update on FB (Mike's sister)

Adeena Jacoby Mcburney One day closer to recovery another day of healing, Mike. Dad says eyes at half-mast. Lifted hips on command. Drs talking about surgery on broken jaw soon. I enjoy the company of comments of all Mike's friends. Mom said Dad looks hansome on the news.

Hey guys. I found this forum by searching Mike's name. I was one of the volunteer firefighters on this call and was in on the extrication. Once we got him out of there, we rarely hear back on patients. It's really good to hear that he's making a recovery, we were all really worried. I'm watching this thread to keep they guys updated. Best wishes to Mike, I hope he makes a full recovery.