Note to New Members ×

Safety Safety Safety

CarvingScooby

I thought I've used alot of body protection:rolleyes: but this chap Luis Centeno (Hard Booter)...:eek: got all side covered. I guess nothing wrong to be safed...:biggthump

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmBFMLpzJYA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmBFMLpzJYA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Asterisk Knee Braces

http://www.asteriskbrace.com/

HillBilly Butt Pad

http://www.mountainboardshop.com/hibuandhippa.html

Be safe

RT

is anyone else getting a mental image of Raphie's kid brother Randy, the lil kid in "A Christmas Story" whose mother has him so bundled that he can can't get up when he falls?

Randy: I can't put my arms down!

Mother: Well... put your arms down when you get to school.

then, after his encounter with bullies, "Randy lay there like a slug! It was his only defense!"

Just watched Transformers last night. Wanted to see that dude unfold into something.

Did anyone else catch that he is on a factory prime with speed hook type step ins???????

WTF?

He's spent so much on protecting himself the dude can't afford new gear.

I loved my primes when they were....Prime. But really, if he had a better board maybe he wouldn't get hit so much or fall down so much.

Interviewer - who sounded impatient - was in HBs too?'

Innaresting.

Did anyone else catch that he is on a factory prime with speed hook type step ins???????

WTF?

Innaresting.

and that's why he needs all that ****, physics were the most failure prone bindings I've come by

I just watches the video and those are the older stepin race, they were pretty bad too but not physics bad

He's a NY'er! I've emailed back and fourth with him once or twice, seems like a really nice guy. I understand he rides Mountain Creek on the weekends. From what I understand about mountain creek, it can get crazy crowded, mostly with NY/NJ jib monkeys ... so lots of protection is prolly a good idea :-P.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQWsVz9lyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQWsVz9lyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Love those Canadian girls. She also does an interview with CMC that's pretty funny. She tries to get his last name - he says Curt. She says what's your first name.

Carvemaster and then he walks off.

:biggthump

Absolutely there is no way that someone can ride at 50% of his ability in that much protection gear!

I wear just a pair of knee braces and it slows down my performance allot!

Next time he will also wear a parachute to cover the chance of falling of a ridge too!

Absolutely there is no way that someone can ride at 50% of his ability in that much protection gear!

Next time he will also wear a parachute to cover the chance of falling of a ridge too!

IDK motocross gear lets you be pretty mobile..............

I ride with a Dainese motocross jacket, impact shorts, and wrist guards. No problems here. All of this stuff is designed to work within a normal range of motion.

is anyone else getting a mental image of Raphie's kid brother Randy, the lil kid in "A Christmas Story" whose mother has him so bundled that he can can't get up when he falls?

Randy: I can't put my arms down!

Mother: Well... put your arms down when you get to school.

then, after his encounter with bullies, "Randy lay there like a slug! It was his only defense!"

All the rest of the stuff I can do without, but I want that knee brace!

Can't fault the guy for wearing armor if that makes his riding experience better. If I'm back on a carving board next year, I think I'll be wearing more protection. Just did day 2 of PT to rehab a shoulder I tore up this winter during an impact (didn't realize how injured it really was - thus the delay in seeking therapy.) Body armor with good shoulder protection would have significantly reduced the injury. It's my left shoulder, so I can't sleep on my left side, and I am just now starting to be able to sleep on my right side after hitting my right hip hard on April 4. I often wear impact shorts, but left them home that day....

These old bones just want a good night's rest right now! :sleep:

I use a brace on my right (front) MCL-less knee, designed by a doctor for skiing with full range of motion, changeable hyperextention stops and amazingly adjustable upper to lower alignment.

I can't tell if the Asterisk braces have as good of alignment options (I doubt it), but they're built very similarly with the added patella protection for $600 a pair rather than $1000 a piece.

cellkneeprotectionsystem06.jpg

Protection is a good thing,let's say a helmet is a must but over protecting layering with shorts, knee braces ,spine,elbow, wrist ,shoulder and so on will kill your mobility even if it is designed by the N.A.S.A space team,and from seeing the ages in here most of you guys lost your mobility already from old age !

I'm an old fart too (45)and i wear knee braces (3 ACL surgeries,1 ankle,2 meniscus,2 cleaning arthroscopes,and a broken spinal bone!) and a orthopedic belt but when i take them of for a couple of runs i feel absolutely free!

Riding with my knee brace I don't even know it's there.

It is an age thing, I went 19yrs without an MCL (I'm 48 )or a brace and it used to only get sore after multiple days of hard riding. When I ride the lift now without the brace, 20 yrs after the injury, the weight of the board hanging from the knee makes it sore, especially with the added weight of a plate. Now with the brace my knee never got sore once last season(80 days).

As for the shorts & vest, I don't race, ride rails, or carve in crowds so the extra bulk is unwarranted.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQWsVz9lyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQWsVz9lyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Love those Canadian girls. She also does an interview with CMC that's pretty funny. She tries to get his last name - he says Curt. She says what's your first name.

Carvemaster and then he walks off.

:biggthump

I'd definitely want some protection on me if I ran into her!:1luvu:

Can't fault the guy for wearing armor if that makes his riding experience better. If I'm back on a carving board next year, I think I'll be wearing more protection. Just did day 2 of PT to rehab a shoulder I tore up this winter during an impact (didn't realize how injured it really was - thus the delay in seeking therapy.) Body armor with good shoulder protection would have significantly reduced the injury. It's my left shoulder, so I can't sleep on my left side, and I am just now starting to be able to sleep on my right side after hitting my right hip hard on April 4. I often wear impact shorts, but left them home that day....

These old bones just want a good night's rest right now! :sleep:

Best wishes for a full recovery to you. Rehab WILL be a tough road, but it is VERY important that you do it and do it well, to insure a strong, possibly even stronger then it was before, joint.

I went through surgry to repair my left shoulder last April, which was pretty dinged up in a crash last Febraury that I'm convinced armour would unfortunitily not have helped, and I'm just now perhaps 95%

Check out some of the other videos in her list. Great conversations with Tim Windell, Chris Karol, Anton P, etc. Camera work is a bit rough but the effort to be there and capture the content is admirable. In addition, bits of history, Mt Hood "Cutters", The Farm, slalom race, etc.

I just picked up a pair of the Asterisk knee braces recently. Have had many brands before. Most favorite was CTI2, but can't afford a new pair of those right now. I've ridden with knee braces for years now. Have had CTI, CTI2, Breg and Donjoy.

The Asterisk is great. Plus the wraparound things for the calf and thigh are adjustable (small hex wrench allows you to adjust how tight they wrap). This is the first knee brace I've ever seen that allows that. The patella cup protector is great. It overlaps like an armadillo and really is nice. The strap system is super comfortable. I'm actually considering wearing them without anything underneath, which would be a first. The adjustment / "strap" system is surprisingly good. At first it looks silly because there are long strings in the back to tighten it. But once you get it roughly adjusted for yourself, you can trim the strings so they aren't as sloppy. I still need to do that. There are adjustments to set the stops for hyperextension. Also, the Asterisk comes with a strap and rivet that you can attach to your boot so that the boot is forced to rotate inward with your leg when you bend your knee in. Probably more important for skiing than snowboarding, but cool nonetheless. The only thing the CTI2 has that this doesn't is a special ACL retention strap thing.

I own much of the same protective gear as that guy. But mostly only wear it when racing. I must say that the butt pads are nice for keeping you warm, especially when sitting on the snow waiting for slow friends.

But I can't believe he leaves his upper arms so perilously unprotected :eek::rolleyes: