Note to New Members ×

Wtf 2011?

You guys are killing me!! Looks way fun with still great snow. Good to see SkwalGuy out there. Hiked Kellycanyoon 2xs Sat. Mountain still has good coverage but base area is getting thin. Still firm enough on top...thot of trying alpine but wasnt sure how consistent it was. Thanks for vid coverage John!!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

howdy all

just looking up at the big the past few days and still dont see any brown

spots. the past few days we have had nice warm sunny days and cool

nights. looking thru a binocular there are some sweet looking lines that

people have been riding. i am suprised that the view count of this post

keeps going up, must be johnasmos great vids. hope you all are having

a great spring and a warm summer, see you next winter...

Sunny and 65 in town; 55 in village; 45 at summit. Still top to bottom coverage. Fine spring riding; where is everyone? Day 153 and counting...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jzocF5PfCYk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whitefish Renovating Iconic Après-Ski Bar

May 26, 2011

By First Tracks!! Online Media

Whitefish, MT - The final stage of a two-phase structural improvement project will begin this summer at the Bierstube in Whitefish Mountain Resort’s upper village. The Bierstube has been a part of the mountain’s culture since the 1950s . The business has been located in its present building, owned by Whitefish Mountain Resort, since 1967.

whitefish_bierstube-300x200.jpg Après-ski at the Bierstube has been a Whitefish Mountain tradition since the 1950s. (photo: Whitefish Mountain Resort)

“The Bierstube has played a significant role in shaping the mountain culture of this resort,” Whitefish Mountain Resort President Dan Graves said. “We feel strongly, as part of our commitment to preserve the ski area’s heritage, we want to extend its life for years to come.”

Phase one was completed during the fall of 2010 before the start of the ski season after the discovery that the building was beginning to lean. Engineering analysis revealed the need to raise the building’s north east corner and pour new concrete. Phase two will focus on the south and west sides of the building where new concrete will be poured for footings and improvements to the building’s foundation. No changes will be made to the interior of the building which plans to open June 18 when Whitefish Mountain Resort summer operations begin.

“The Bierstube means a lot of things to a lot of people, we have visitors who come back every year, some who come in after 10, 20 years and thank us for being here,” said Bierstube owner and operator Scott McIntosh. “We are excited that the future of the Bierstube is solidified. Whitefish Mountain Resort has been great to work with and their commitment to the Bierstube means a lot to us.”

The Bierstube is an important Whitefish Mountain Resort landmark and essential stop on visitors’ itineraries. The “Stube,” as it is locally known, frequently hosts live music, and is home to the famous “Frabert, Clod of the Week” awards every Wednesday during the ski season. In the summer the Bierstube is open from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday to Sunday.

Reason #161 to live in Whitefish: Fresh pow for Memorial Day weekend. This is 47 days after Whitefish Mountain Resort closed for the season. Still top to bottom, summit to parking lot runs, 15 minutes from town.

Dave and I grabbing some fresh tracks in the morning. WooHoo!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/68EKE-uOvmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5:00 PM update: Back up with Eric the Sqwal Guy; still good!

post-1861-141842344749_thumb.jpg

post-1861-14184234475_thumb.jpg

post-1861-141842344752_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry G-Carve, no vids from last night. We finished up just after 9pm, but this part of Montucky is so far north, it stays light till nearly 10pm. Makes for a long day of playing!

Glacier National Park in the background of the first picture, Top of Ptarmagin Bowl, Climbing at Stone Hill, just south of Eureka, MT. Not too shabby of a weekend!

post-3878-141842344843_thumb.jpg

post-3878-141842344845_thumb.jpg

post-3878-141842344847_thumb.jpg

Sorry G-Carve, no vids from last night. We finished up just after 9pm, but this part of Montucky is so far north, it stays light till nearly 10pm. Makes for a long day of playing!

Glacier National Park in the background of the first picture, Top of Ptarmagin Bowl, Climbing at Stone Hill, just south of Eureka, MT. Not too shabby of a weekend!

Jeez Dred the sprout has grown since I met him here at SV. Looks good. Way to get after it. My wife loves my WTF shirt ( me too) - thanks for your part in getting it here.

• 3 weeks later...

Summer's here and the time is right for... snowboarding!

Keep in mind that this place is only 6800 feet at the summit.

WMR opened for summer operations last weekend, but chair 1 is down due to ground slumping that moved tower 6 a couple feet. That's gonna bugger the MTB season if the snow ever does melt...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i0dxmEE32pI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 4 weeks later...

howdy all

sad news of one our locals, condolences to the family.

Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:00 am

<!-- AP Bookmark -->Whitefish mourns loss of snowboarding phenom

<!-- AP Byline -->LYNNETTE HINTZE/Daily Inter Lake

<!-- AP Content -->Condolences poured out over Facebook and other social media sites Tuesday as the global snowboarding community learned it had lost one of its own when the death of snowboarding champion Aaron Robinson came to light.

In Whitefish, where Robinson grew up, there was shock and sadness for a life gone too soon.

Robinson, 24, a two-time winner of The North Face Masters of Snowboarding, died in the backcountry of Chile on Tuesday when he fell and hit his head on exposed rocks.

He was riding in the popular backcountry area known as Santa Teresita, adjacent to the El Colorado ski area. According to ESPN, the area is accessible via one of the resort’s lifts and delivers skiers to the resort’s access road, where “a quick thumb or a spotted car provides return to the ski area.”

Robinson was a team rider for K2 Snowboarding, Volcom and Airblaster, and had spent time riding in Chile over the last couple of summers. He had planned to stay down there through August filming and shooting with K2, according to Transworld Snowboarding Magazine.

Robinson had arrived in Chile earlier this week and was riding with Blake Paul, filming for FunBlock Films, when he fell forward and hit a rock, Transworld reported.

Word had started to spread earlier in the day suggesting that Robinson had been caught in an avalanche, but Transworld said it confirmed the fatal fall through a source with Blake Paul’s parents, who had spoken to their son earlier that day.

Transworld said Robinson was “endowed with enviable powder-hunting skills that always had him in the deep.”

Whitefish residents remember Robinson as a spunky, joyful, fun-loving kid who was absolutely fearless when it came to snowboarding and skateboarding.

“He was an epic kid,” said Scot Ferda, Robinson’s Whitefish Middle School physical education teacher.

“They come around once in a generation. The kid just lived on the edge. He was living his dream, and I don’t think he’d have any regrets.”

Aaron was the middle son of Pam and Jeff Robinson. His older brother Jason and little brother Sean also are gifted athletes, Ferda noted.

“They were rambunctious, respectful boys,” he recalled, adding that as a P.E. teacher, he delighted in their exuberance during class. “They were all in, all the time.”

Kelly Talsma, who was a counselor at Muldown Elementary School when Aaron was a student there, said the Robinsons are a close-knit family.

“I remember in second grade, Pam coming in [to school] and having breakfast with Aaron every day,” Talsma recalled. “Everybody knew Aaron and his brothers. And everyone knows Pam. You say their names and you smile.”

Pam Robinson pushed for 10 years to get a skateboard park built in Whitefish so her three boys would have a place to hone their skills. The triumph came in 2005 when the David Olseth Memorial Skatepark finally became a reality.

Aaron was the kind of athlete who couldn’t be contained or restrained. He was a trailblazer on the slopes both literally and figuratively.

Whitefish Mountain Resort Events Manager Josh Knight said Aaron played an instrumental role in elevating the level of competitiveness and the success of the annual Nate Chute Hawaiian Classic, an event he’d participated in for several years.

“This is a tragic accident and loss for the resort as well as the community,” said Dan Graves, president of Whitefish Mountain Resort. “Our prayers are with the family.”

Graves said Robinson “will be remembered for his positive, upbeat approach to snowboarding and life in general.”

Many of Robinson’s friends wrote their goodbyes and condolences to the family on snowboarding websites.

One fellow boarder said Robinson “was the most genuine person I have ever met and truly took joy and pleasure in absolutely every moment of every day. He was always enthusiastic, inspired and motivated.

“He will inspire absolutely every person that sees him ride and will be greatly missed by all. He left a huge impression on me and will always live on in my memories.”

Pat Bridges, editor of Snowboarder Magazine, lauded Robinson’s accomplishments.

“Aaron was a vibrant part of the fabric of our sport,” Bridges wrote. “ A-Rob’s love for the alpine in all forms was pure and infectious. His dynamic skills shined from inside the park to beyond the piste. Aaron lived for riding and adventure and the relationships they presented.

“From the time I spent with A-Rob since first meeting him a few seasons back I can find some solace in knowing that he was on another journey and strapped in when his time came, albeit much too soon.”

4e2783c3ab9f6.image.jpg

Noah Couser Photography

‘An epic kid’

Aaron Robinson is shown snowboarding at Whitefish Mountain Resort. The 24-year-old Whitefish native died Tuesday in a snowboarding accident in the Chilean backcountry.