Note to New Members ×

Anyone here still Ski?

TrenchKnife

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the main thing that worries me about getting back on skis. I remember torquing and hurting my knees when falling on skis. I think that lower body injuries are a lot more likely on skis. Most snowboarding injuries seem to be upper body (wrists & collarbones).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

_ ___ : +1 > I blew out my ACL at Mammoth in the late 80's on downhill skis , jumped on a snowboard the next year and never looked back.

WARNING: You can break an ankle in hard alpine board boot's > I just learned that the hard way last week "and" a lot of guys here have broken their ankles too on carving setup's.

Sorry to hear about the acl. How did you do that ?

Pacesetting a course and hit an ice patch under the groommed. The left knee (formerly "the good one") twisted hard right resulting in a partial tear of the ACL, MCL, meniscus, and an undisplaced fracture of the bone and cartilage.

I wear a brace for skiing and did okay at the CT Senior Games on Tuesday. In my age group I took third in the downhill, first in GS (skis and board) and first in the XC race. The last race hurt the knee the most when I was skating.

I took skis and board to Tremblant a couple of weeks ago. I rode my Coiler the first day and my legs were done after 20,000 vertical feet (I have an altimeter watch). It got to the point where it was dangerous as I had trouble hanging onto the high speed turns.

On day two, I switched to skis and did 32,000 feet no problem. I could've gone all day.

I know a lot of people feel the opposite but I have a way easier time on skis than board. When I ride my board, I feel like I'm doing leg press after leg press at 80km/h.

I do find that as well. I reckon a hard carved turn on a board is about

twice the effort, of a similar turn on skis. I also reckon the Kessler skis require about half the effort of of my other skis.

BobD

I skied 1 day 15 years ago. Hated it.

Dec 18th I skied for the first time since that day. I went out with some very experienced coworkers, they lesson-ed me, and then gave me pointers, we headded up the hill, did a few trails after the bunny slope and 4 hours later, I was "bored" and went back to the plank. When asked what I though about it, I just simply said "meh, so I can ski, but Skiing makes me board.....". Maybe in another 15 years I will go again. It was really just good to get a bigger understanding of the mindset of a skier and being able to apply that to and from snowboarding perspectives with relation to body motions and techniques.:biggthump

You guys who ski- have the shaped skis made it more fun that the old style ones? I skied for 5 years before giving it up for riding. The new skis look fun as hell though.

Yes, the shape of the ski is making it much more fun than the old style skis I was on years ago. The loaner skis I'm on now are last years model Fischer Watea.

Yep, ski with my kids and got some new ones last year and really kind of like it again. It is great cross training keeping our muscles from being asymetric. I like to throw in some x-country too! The new skiis are really fun to carve on and even did some pow days with my kids !

The best snow athletes can ride any kind of stick !

modern shapes have cut the learning curve in half, even less for powder.

The only traditionally shaped "straight" skis still made are downhill and GS race sticks.

?!?!

GS/DH Race stockers still have plenty of shape, still "shaped skis" by any standard.

(I ski on 2010 race-stock {full-sidewall/temp-rated} Racetiger 216s & 168s.)

?!?!

GS/DH Race stockers still have plenty of shape, still "shaped skis" by any standard.

(I ski on 2010 race-stock {full-sidewall/temp-rated} Racetiger 216s & 168s.)

In terms of turns shapes that are fun to carve, I find I need 1 to 2 meters advantage on the sidecut of skis to stay on the same lines as a good alpine boarder. Race stock GS sticks, with a radius of 23M, would be like trying to carve a board with a 25M radius. Sure you could do it, but it wouldn't be much fun, and you wouldn't get many turns in. If you want to replicate the fun of turning on a board using skis, I think 11 to 15 Meters is a good radius for skis.

Just generalizing here, but it's interesting that expectations seem different for people from a traditional ski background, than those who learn to ski after alpine boarding. I think the latter expect to do the same on skis as on a board, but the former have preconceptions of what a skis turn should look like.

BobD

modern shapes have cut the learning curve in half

Rather, for the majority of skiers, 'modern' shapes have made less-than-effective movements somewhat more effective.

Modern shapes allow high-end athletes to do what they previously did, but to greater effect.

This is somewhat analogous to recent developments in alpine board shape/construction.

The divide between the average skier and the top level skier is such that, if you looked at the musculo-skeletal activity of both groups, and the actual utilization of the skis, you would see two distinctly different 'sports'.

The same cannot really be said of hardbooters.

High-end skiing may well provide the path for the advancement of alpine snowboarding...

I still skiing when it gets steep and deep bumps to. Skiing for me is as easy as walking down the street. Snowboarding is going really good, but still more like walking sideways down the street. When I get tired I go into "ski mode", that's when know it's time to put it away before I get hurt. Skis are my back up plan.

• 2 weeks later...
I still skiing when it gets steep and deep bumps to.

It doesn't take too much room in the bag to throw in the ski boots then if you get a dump while on vacation, well, powder, bumps, and cut up stuff are easier on skis for me too. Plus if you ride hard for a few days and get that "necrotic muscle" you can switch and abuse a slightly different part of your body :)

There is one problem with shaped skis. Most kids who grew up knowing nothing else can only turn by putting the skis on edge and riding the sidecut. They don't know how any other way to turn. They don't know how to pivot which you kinda need on occasion. Moguls, for instance, require slipping and pivoting skills.

Back in the day, when we were running 200cm+ skis, nobody talked about sidecut radius. I don't think the manufacturers even measured it. If they did, they'd be 40 meters or so. If you rode long, straight skis the same way most people ride shaped skis, there would be a lot of body/tree interaction.

I dissagree. Huge majority of the skiers (and boarders) can not carve their skis. It is still sliding and pivoting. Just, the initiation is now easier, as the wide nose catches as soon as some edge angle is introduced and provides initial pivoting point. I would say that an average modern skier pivots the skis around a point that's further forward then his counterpart from the past. Contrary, a modern skier carves with his Center of Effort more over the center of the skis, while the advanced guy from the past used to do that way forward.

There is one problem with shaped skis. Most kids who grew up knowing nothing else can only turn by putting the skis on edge and riding the sidecut. They don't know how any other way to turn. They don't know how to pivot which you kinda need on occasion.

Nah. My kids are 7 and 4, and they both love to ride the sidecut, and they both know how to skid and pivot where appropriate. It's a big thrill to see them lean on their sidecut and really carve their little skis like hockey skates, I love it.

kids pick carving the sidecut quickly. Especially easily on the outside skis. It's the old farts who have the pivot on a flat ski ingrained, that have the problems. When you you mention they look like Stein Erickson, they think it's a compliment :lol:

I didn't even consider skiing, until I saw that the new shaped skis had recreational (as opposed to high speed race) carving potential.

BobD

kids pick carving the sidecut quickly. Especially easily on the outside skis. It's the old farts who have the pivot on a flat ski ingrained, that have the problems. When you you mention they look like Stein Erickson, they think it's a compliment :lol:

I didn't even consider skiing, until I saw that the new shaped skis had recreational (as opposed to high speed race) carving potential.

BobD

Funny you should say that. I was showing my son videos of Stein Erickson and telling him Stein was the height of cool in the 70s with his beautiful hair and his boots glued together.

The next time we were out skiing, he asked me if I could still ski like that. I told him "of course" and tried it with him watching. Well, I discovered shaped skis don't like to be that close together. I took a massive crash much to his amusement. As far as I can tell, I hooked the tail of one of the skis which caused them to cross.

All I'm saying is that old guys who learned on 40m SCR skis *had* to be more versatile. We had to learn many different ways of turning.

Now we've got rockered and shaped. That's just cheating.