Note to New Members ×

Anyone here still Ski?

TrenchKnife

I ran into a guy on the hill today who I've noticed hitting gates on his Sl. Board for the past few weeks- a washed up snb. racer and major coach it turns out.

Today he was on Slalom skis going through the same course and he says he's on skis more than his board now.

He told me that he feels switching back and forth helps his hardboot riding.

has anyone alse heard anything like this oustide of a mental hospital?

Either way, though, the guy rocked the slalom hard on both modes.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About half and half for me. If there's serious pitch I'll always ski for preference, likewise in trees or deep snow, since I don't have a soft setup. I'll also ski when it's crowded, or when I'm with my wife and our youngest. They're slower coming down and it's a lot easier to hang out on skis than on a 60/60 hardboot setup.

It makes a difference that current model skis are so fantastic now, compared with what used to be available. On GS skis I'm WAY faster than on my 180 Coiler(Head iGS RD/VIST 183) and my slalom skis (Head iSL chip) will make a turn just as pure as my Oxygen slalom board will, on much steeper slopes. On an easy, NASTAR type course I'm about 10% faster on skis, mostly because I can skate. On tougher courses the margin is greater. Freeride cruising speed on my GS skis or even my all-mountain Crossmax is at least 10 mph faster than on a board.

No ski gives the kind of full-body rhythmic experience a board can (and the boots hurt a lot more...)

I am sure that skiing is good cross-training for carving a snowboard, because the reverse is also true. I'm a better skier now than when I stopped, thanks to alpine snowboarding.

And now that skis are really just skinny snowboards for each foot (i.e., similar sidecuts and lengths) the technique is almost interchangeable. The footage of Olympic SL and GS skiing makes me juicy.

I am sure that skiing is good cross-training for carving a snowboard, because the reverse is also true. I'm a better skier now than when I stopped, thanks to alpine snowboarding.

And now that skis are really just skinny snowboards for each foot (i.e., similar sidecuts and lengths) the technique is almost interchangeable. The footage of Olympic SL and GS skiing makes me juicy.

Why do I think I was speaking to you earlier today on the snow?:biggthump

Sounds like a forming concensus, as this is very much what the crossover guy was saying today.

I agree about watching the olympic footage too. It seems the two sports are beginning a return to one another

Why do I think I was speaking to you earlier today on the snow?:biggthump

Sounds like a forming concensus, as this is very much what the crossover guy was saying today.

I agree about watching the olympic footage too. It seems the two sports are beginning a return to one another

I think an alpine boarding background gives a different expectation for the potential of skis. Also nearly all ski carving instruction is race, or big mountain oriented. The only role models that skiers have for carving are the WC racers. We may be lucky that alpine snowboarding does not have a governing body for instruction, so there are many variations of style out there. The emphasis being on fun, rather than attaining an instruction model. Bring that background to skiing, and you are going to have a lot of fun.

BobD

No ski gives the kind of full-body rhythmic experience a board can (and the boots hurt a lot more...)

As a recent returnee to alpine boards after a 8-9year hiatus, I beg to differ (politely) on this point. The most comfortable boots I've worn in ANY snowsliding sport (including snowboard softies) have to be my recently semi-retired scarpa t2's. (though I grant that well-fitted/thermo snowboard HB's are in the same relative comfort class as well-fitted tele & Rando boots.)

Also, the rise & fall in concert with the fore-aft lead change & the lateral edge change of a telemark turn CERTAINLY rivals & IMO surpasses the "whole-body rhythmic experience" of any snowboard. Where the carving snowboard wins is the subjective G-force feel of lateral accelleration.

The lack of snow here in Maine this year is what made me get off my tele-skis (where I had been EXCLUSIVELY for the last 7years) and get back on a snowboard of any sort. Glad I made it the hardboots. And yes, I also feel the crossover (plus the more physically demanding telemarking) has improved my hardbooting. (2 runs in, I felt like I was doing better technically than when I gave it up.)

I also feel that a good telemark carve feels a lot like a toeside carve. (maybe that's why my heelside is still iffy.)

For me, it's all about the conditions that help me make the choice. Based on the weather pattern and conditions. For example, right now, the next 4 days will be ski(K2 MaidenAK's-189's/K2 Seth-189's) and softie's and obviously I'll be on the Coiler again at Stratton. I love trees, glades and bumps and when someone shows me an alpine board that can make me feel like I do on big, fat, mutha-lovin' powder stix, maybe I'll consider it.

Thank mother nature that winter has returned just in time. Snorkel time in the northern kingdom

I'm still carving on my snowboard most of the time, but I've gotten back on skis this season.

I grew up skiing in Michigan - no lessons, so ingrained bad habits. Was a low intermediate skier at best. Didn't ski for about 15 years, then moved to the mountains. Skied infrequently, even though we lived at the base of the mountain. (We cross country ski a ton). When I did ski on the mountain I wasn't having a lot of fun, so I just didn't do it much.

A friend suggested we give snowboarding a try. We took a lesson and had a ball that first season learning some of the ins and outs of keeping ourselves upright on the hill. The friend who suggested we give snowboarding a try was/is an awesome carver, so before long I was checking out hard boots and plate bindings. I fell in love with snowboarding even more and have been digging the digging of trenches since.

For a number of seasons I've been saying that I'd like to get on skis again. A friend has donated some well used boots to my cause, and another is letting me borrow some skis. I have a pair of adjustable backcountry poles, so I'm in business.

I'm having a lot of fun learning to ski again - I feel like I'm not hung up on any old bad habits. I'm finding a great deal of comfort with the learning and I think it has a lot to do with my snowboarding. I still suck on skis, but I'm getting better and having fun enjoying the mountain on two planks. Before long I imaging I'll be venturing into the bumps and crude and all sorts of stuff. For now the groomers are a good challenge:biggthump

Ok, You blasphemer's this violation with not go unnoticed. :mad:

You mite as well say "gee I was thinking about dating men for a change" :eek:

We are like Israel a tiny minority surrounded by the hordes of Palestine-skiers we need to stay with "our kind" , lol.

( daughter brings home her new boy friend a rapper-skiier ) > Hi mom & dad this is my new boyfriend 2plankShakuer, lol:cool:

I actually quit skiing in 1993... who could blame me. the skiis sucked.

plus these weird guys had shown up at Ski Sunlight on carve boards with emery bindings about 1991. I was not winning or even fast ski racing so I did not want to commit for high school. My friend bill got an assymetrical aggression up in Aspen which became my secret weapon...

now as a race coach for the third year out at Ski Cooper I spend way more time in AT boots on skiis just because it is easier to haul gates and do course work...

but in March when we host the FUXI super-combi I may very likely run it on a burner. especially if I secure a 197...

my secret hope is to get all slalom run on stubbies like we do for the Youth Ski League. . . I think ski gates are just tradition... everyone would enjoy running snowboard panel gates for GS but that change will not likely happen...

but my 205 Stokle Downhill skis are truly faster and so I enjoy running them too. I never decide until morning of races what discipline I will compete in. but the burner is more exciting as far as higher chance for mistake since you can't catch yourself with the other edge...

but my days off are always spend on a board :AR15firin

Yeah, I've been on skis more this season than my board, I think. I got a pair of Fischer RC-4 Slalom skis and I've been having so much fun on them. Since I have learned to trust my alpine boards a bit over the years, I think I can trust these skis. I love the rebound and pop when they come back under me. I've only had it happen once so far going fairly slow on easy terrain where the outside ski hooked up and the inside one didn't so the outside ski banged into the other one... oh well.... I think I have to spend more time on them to really get the hang of them. The whole reason I started snowboarding way back when was because skiing got boring for me. Not to say riding is boring for me, but it is fun to vary it up a bit. I just hate carrying all the gear!

I started snowboarding in the late-80's, got hooked, and didn't ski for about 20 years. Then a couple of years ago I rented skis for a day while on a club ski trip. I thought I'd be like a beginner again, but I was skiing pretty well right away. I was amazed at how easy they were to turn, especially compared to what I was on 20 years earlier. It was almost too easy -- no challenge.

I think carving really helped me be quickly comfortable on skis. And I could carve the skis better than most other skiers because I had learned how to use my edges and how to angulate my body.

I have a 2-year old boy, and I plan to start him on skis next season. I think it would be easier for me to be on skis while with him on the slopes, so I'm going to look for some off-season deals this summer. I'm pretty clueless about ski equipment, though. How do I choose boots and skis?

I have a 2-year old boy, and I plan to start him on skis next season. I think it would be easier for me to be on skis while with him on the slopes, so I'm going to look for some off-season deals this summer. I'm pretty clueless about ski equipment, though. How do I choose boots and skis?

Yes! I agree.... it will be easier to start with him on skis. My son will be 3 at the end of March, but I haven't had him on snow as much as my now 8 year old daughter was at his age. Even as she started snowboarding a few years ago, I found it much easier to be on skiis to help her. If you are a fan of teaching-aids for kids, I'd recommend http:// www.kid-ski.com But just remember with teaching aids to not let them become crutches... there is a point when they have to go! My daughter was skiing pretty good by about 3 1/2, but still needed me there to help her. I'd start going some on my board with her when she was about 6. (Could have been on the board when she was five probably, but that's when I was pregnant with her brother and I promised my husband I'd only ski and not snowboard that season! UGH! It was hard....)

And skis for you? I was a little skeptical at first, but a very good instructor who teaches with me recommend a slalom race ski. If you like to carve on your board, you'll love a decent race ski that can hold the edge! I told my fellow instructor that I was worried that they wouldn't work so well in all conditions, but he said I should be fine. Honestly, I haven't tried them in bumps or powder, etc because I've been having so much fun with them on the groom! Besides, if you are going to be trailing a youngster, you won't be doing much of that anyway. I've even had fun with mine going slower on easier runs.... luckily my daughter is good on blues now, but she still skis VERY slow. Finally I got her to except that she'll go first, I'll ski past her going faster, but then I'd wait for her at the next intersection or wherever we decided to meet! WHEW! Sking that slow was killing me. As far as boots go? Don't get stiff race boots!!! You'll hate em for standing around and skiing with the kid. I'd say a recreation type boot would be fine and just make sure it's comfortable! They aren't at all like wearing snowboard boots... and look for one with a walk feature.... mine are just about always in walk escepially when I'm teaching or skiing with the kids!

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have fun and if you have any questions about skiing with the little one, drop me a line.

Kathy

And Brad.... where do you usually go? I used to work at Ski Liberty and I'm sure all those areas around there have good kid and day care programs if you want to spend the money for some adult time....

For me its like this. My skiis are old school, K2 El-caminos 198. Id like to try some new slalom or GS skis, I have hated every rec "shaped" ski I have tried. In the past several years I have spent more time on the board and explain the switch like this. Im now almost 47, while I am in great shape for a 47yo, I dont have the strength I did in my late 20's. Sooooo.... every time I get on skis, I feel a little bit worse where on the board, Im still learning and get a little bit better with each trip. I did dawn the skis when teaching my youngsters, but they are fast on blue cruisers so I can enjoy myself with them carving that instead of wearing the skis and longing for some chutes where Id prolly end up hurting myself now anyway.:lol:

I was never much of a skier, but skied infrequently for maybe 5 years before I picked up snowboarding about 27 years ago, and I haven't skied or been interested in skiing since. But a good part of that attitude stems from injury concerns - I've always suscribed to the theory that severe knee injuries are much more likely on skis than on a board.

At 42 yrs old and with bad knees anyway, I'm just not interested in a sport where each knee can be torqued independently by a lever nearly a meter long in each direction (fore and aft). Having each foot locked into position relative to the other on a board makes it much more difficult to torque a knee, so it seems to me that boarding is just much safer from a catastrphic-injury point of view.

It's just anecdotal, but it seems nearly every middle-aged lifelong skiier I know has a story about reconstructive knee surgery at some point in their past. And I know several people who don't ski any more after knee injuries. I tell them to try boarding.

Does the risk of injury factor into anyone else's decision to ski or not to ski?

Does the risk of injury factor into anyone else's decision to ski or not to ski?

I've been very conservative with my DIN settings. Started out low 4, and worked up to where I don't get prereleases 6/7. I only carve, but I do like to catch air off rises during transitions, and land on the new edges. 6 to 7 is working fine for that. I think the modern bindings have better boot retention during short timed release forces, so settings can be lower than years ago. Again, I think the alpine boarding experience keeps you in a safer position when skiing. Too be honest, I would sooner break an arm with a prerelease, than wreck a knee.

BobD

50/50 for me. I run my DIN settings at 9 because I tend to pre-release when racing if they're set less. See results below.

14xp852.jpg

This shot was taken of me at a race a couple weeks ago when I managed to keep my skis on. It was six days after tearing my ACL. It hurts like the dickens to walk but oddly enough it doesn't hurt to race on skis or board.

ibz0oj.jpg

This shot was taken of me at a race a couple weeks ago when I managed to keep my skis on. It was six days after tearing my ACL. It hurts like the dickens to walk but oddly enough it doesn't hurt to race on skis or board.

Sorry to hear about the acl. How did you do that ?

Trent took this photo a couple of weeks ago

post-340-141842305058_thumb.jpg

I was never much of a skier, but skied infrequently for maybe 5 years before I picked up snowboarding about 27 years ago, and I haven't skied or been interested in skiing since. But a good part of that attitude stems from injury concerns - I've always suscribed to the theory that severe knee injuries are much more likely on skis than on a board.

That's the main thing that worries me about getting back on skis. I remember torquing and hurting my knees when falling on skis. I think that lower body injuries are a lot more likely on skis. Most snowboarding injuries seem to be upper body (wrists & collarbones).

I took skis and board to Tremblant a couple of weeks ago. I rode my Coiler the first day and my legs were done after 20,000 vertical feet (I have an altimeter watch). It got to the point where it was dangerous as I had trouble hanging onto the high speed turns.

On day two, I switched to skis and did 32,000 feet no problem. I could've gone all day.

I know a lot of people feel the opposite but I have a way easier time on skis than board. When I ride my board, I feel like I'm doing leg press after leg press at 80km/h.