Note to New Members ×

Hot Rod Race Wax Reviews

t.stoughton

Hot Rod Race Wax by Red Oak Development Llc.

A big thanks to Fin for approving us to make our company announcement on “Bomber Online.” Home of Hot Rod Race Wax is now available via online shopping. Check out our website www.HotRodRaceWax.com Don’t believe us that it’s a great product... read the testimonials! http://www.rod-llc.com/Testimonials.html

It seems to me, that there are a few people here on BOL that have been giving T.Stoughton a hard time about his new product. It also seems to me that those people being the harshest, have not even tried the stuff. The above posting of his website has reviews by some prominent BOL members that have only good things to say about the product when they used it. So perhaps those that have anything negative to say, should hold off until they have tried it. I think that product announcements or "marketing" are sometimes the only way I might hear about products such as this. This IS the place for them. And no, I have not tried the wax, but I probably will after reading about it here on BOL.

for those that may have missed the point, here are the five reviews to which the link in the original post led:

Hot Rod wax is super smooth and fast. I would have loved to have had this wax when I was racing and coaching. The durability is excellent so you won't go through as much wax and you don't have to scrape it all off to go fast. This saves time and doesn't make a big mess. Follow the application instructions and you will be graced with a lot of glide and speed.

I have ridden this wax down to -5F and up as high as 45F with very good results at both extremes. I will be recommending this wax to anyone who is looking for a fast, durable wax.

- Derek Runes (aka inkaholic) "Senior Team Rider" for ROD Llc.

I have used the hot rod wax for over a year on both skis and snowboards. It is the fastest and most durable wax that I have ever used. The latest formula provides the perfect blend of speed and durablity. On long flat run outs, free carving, or the race course, this is the only wax that I use.

- Arne (aka arenburner) "He's Modest & He's FAST!" He won at Steamboat NASTAR National Championships last year on HRRW. ROD Llc.

The way you judge wax performance is simple… by the way it glides. I noticed the performance of HOT ROD the first time I got off the chairlift. I stepped down, put my back foot on the board and glided a distance, over to where the group congregates and buckles-in. My friend sitting next to me on the chair had to skate several steps to get over to the group. I waited several seconds for him to arrive and exerted less energy getting there. We then buckled-in and headed down a catwalk; my friend was slightly ahead of me. In no time I had passed my friend and gained a significant lead. I ran away from everyone I rode with, all day long, and it wasn’t because of superior riding ability, it was because of the wax!

While I do enjoy performing all my own preparation and maintenance on my boards, I do not have the time to wax the boards for the given conditions the night before every ride. For years I have searched of the one wax that will handle all conditions, with no sacrifice in performance, and last more than one days ride. With HOT ROD wax, the glide has been superb no matter what the conditions, be it sub-zero, crunchy snow at first chair or mid-afternoon wet, heavy snow and I am getting up to five days ride out of one application.

The bottom line - day after day, this wax has proved its superiority and durability, no matter what the conditions or temperatures. Buy the wax, follow the directions and enjoy the glide!

- Dustin T., you can find other postings from "D.T. on Bomber Online."

Scarry fast... and I love it.

- Bola Owner of "All Boards Sports" Boulder CO : if you haven't been to his shop your missing out! ROD Llc.

ROD has been working on some magic wax that the LCI has been testing since last season. It is long lasting, fast, and has been working in temps from +45f to -5f. I have been getting at least 4 days between waxings at 250lbs. Good stuff, not yet available to the general public. I may have said to much already...

- Mario "from Big Mario's post on Bomber Online."

It seems to me, that there are a few people here on BOL that have been giving T.Stoughton a hard time about his new product.

I am not one of them and would not speak without trying it.

The above posting of his website has reviews by some prominent BOL members that have only good things to say about the product when they used it.

Yes, reviews on his website. Let's get real, those are reviews he chose to put on his website. Just like most every other company that has a website for marketing and puts up testimonials by customers.

There is a significant risk of bias in the collection of reviews and it does not belong in the review section. It is marketing by a vendor and belongs elsewhere.

for those that may have missed the point, here are the five reviews to which the link in the original post led:

Let those individuals start the thread and post their reviews in this forum.

Is it actually you guys contention that anyone who sells a product for alpine gear can start a thread on their product in the review section. Provided that they have hand chosen reviews or testimonials of the product on their website?

Again, I am not saying anything about the product, just the marketing technique. I am not in favor of Bruce starting a thread with all the great reviews he gets by email, or Donek, Catek, Prior or any other company providing links to testimonials in the review forum.

I ride with all these guys every weekend, Do we hang together , you bet.

Do I think that these folks would sulley their charactor endorsing something without genuine feeling for the product? never.

Is Fin called out for being too conflicted in his envolvement on this site ?

T, let me have some of that wax , and I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I ride with all these guys every weekend, Do we hang together , you bet.

Do I think that these folks would sulley their charactor endorsing something without genuine feeling for the product? never.

Is Fin called out for being too conflicted in his envolvement on this site ?

T, let me have some of that wax , and I'll throw in my 2 cents.

LCS we will be giving FREE sample while they last which I expect to be all of 5 minutes. To the other concerns the testimonials are everything we have recieved(.) We have already tested and got our lumps out of the way before we went to sales and marketing! All we ask is that you follow the included instruction card because it's important. It part of product design. See you at LCS!

If you have an issue, take it to Fin or Jack. They will move the thread if they see fit. You have made your view known more than once, step off your soap box.

Not my favorite thing to do, but it is done. I suggested they could clean up my ramblings or whatever else they consider appropriate.

If you did not know the vendor, you might be able to see the conflict with vendors marketing in the review section. He already has solid thread about his wax on the main forum. It should be left there or in Vendor's Announcements.

Buell

• 2 weeks later...

... and I finally need to rewax. Rode 2 warm days, 2 colder and one very cold day and the wax performed great in all conditions, Excellent glide!!! It never felt as though I had the wrong temp wax on, which in my opinion can be worse than no wax at all. I'll be ordering more!

Apologies to T.Stoughton for waiting a week to post this little ditty on his wax.

He had to do a rush job putting Hot Rod on my board at Lovey last week so I could make the 'short bus' with Ink and Marion and crew,so I wanted to ride at home with another application before posting my thoughts.

First off;at Lovey the conditions were much firmer at the Valley section where I tried the wax than at the Basin section where I had my usual stuff on;so I thought the shockingly fast feel had to have something to do with that.However today at Silver in much warmer snow the same incredible acceleration was felt on the 210.

For comparison,I usually use Swix all temp with cold/harder wax applied along the edges under the all temp.The app process I use is consistent with what I've read here other than the fact that I hand rub before ironing and rarely, if ever, resort to wasteful dripping.I will also add a liquid fluro rub-on occassionally.Other than that I don't get very techno and can't justify the cost of the pastes or powder overlays.

The Hot Rod wax has a dramaticially different feel to the glide when accelerating;like a higher gear.It did drag in the wettest snow I encountered today but I believe that is out of it's fairly wide temp range.It is also quite durable.By the looks of the base I should get at least another day and half to two days out of this app, even though I rode in a lot of wet snow today.

Granted,I'm no worldcupper,but I do have a very competitive mindset ,and by that I mean that I would definitely try using this wax to beat my p.r. on the local Nastar:)

Steve,

Thanks for making the time to write the review. It was good to see you recognized the temp spec vs. the conditions you were riding. I think you made a good and fair evaluation. HRRW will perform very well in the warmer temps but is not an "All-Temp" wax. HRRW should out perform the all-temp and many warmer waxes in warmer conditions but we have not completed tested in warmer conditions. Thanks. HRRW

ive had the chance to use this wax on our beloved east coast conditions. i am really impressed with this product. i've had my boards tuned from some of the best guys in the area, and i usually score highly marketed waxes from them for my usuall nighty waxing. so at 1st i was like , oh great more wax to try. but i said i would help these guys out, because i appreciatte the owner operator pushing there ideas, product, companies, etc, etc. cooporate america can $uck it. ski market :barf: home depot :barf:

i haven't had the chance to get on the snow as much this year as i usually do, so getting to the hill on a consistant basis to test the hrrw was my biggest challenge. i also don't own a waxing iron, so using the manufacturers recomended waxing technique got 86'd. i chose the wax wizard method, which would save me some seriousy headaches with my tuning shop. here are the conditions i used the wax on and the boards that were used.

all coilers: 185nsr, 177gs jd spec and a 163 sl vsr.

hero snow: i came across some at stratton. high 20's, sunny, pp :biggthump

frozen gran: tis the season at loon, cloudy, windy :biggthump

loose gran: a little warmer, sunny, windy or a gong show :biggthump

slush: sunny, in the pahk spinning 3's :biggthump

medium pp: the loaf, cloudy, foggy, low 30's temp :biggthump

booger sugar: your typical loon mid morning bull$hit, piles of sugar, on top of rock hard ice/ granite :biggthump

hard packed iced: you dont need wax for these conditions, just a strong wrist and a panzer file. this is your 1 couple hrs after they form up the trail and breakout the concrete paving crew and groom. :eek:

gs/slalom race: on an a fresh base grind with a 185 nsr and a prototype coiler sl vsr this was my 1st layer of wax. the side of the base rub on is classified information. :biggthump

this wax held up as long as the cooperate america stuff did. what this means is it didn't burn it self of in one run. the board remained glidey my hole day. which runs form 8am thru 2pm, the its a cold pbr and and some sports cream.

it was so glidey in all of these conditions, more glidey that my dominator zoom graphite all temp ever was in the past. most importantly the hrrw stayed on the board longer than others.

we definatly have a good thing brewing with this wax, i recomend giving tony a shout out and get some you wont be sorry! :biggthump

thanks!

I've ridden 4 days on an application. Every condition from spring corn to western boiler plate. The wax has held up well, and there's enough in the middle of the board to do a light rewax, with minimal new product applied. A lot of the riding I've done over the last week has been highly abrasive melt/freeze conditions and I'm impressed how well the wax held up.

The wax seemed to show no preference to snow temperature or consistency, and in fact seemed to smooth out some highly changing density conditions. My expierence is a little different then with the lb. of wax I bought from a large east coast supply house , that did not seem to fair nearly as well in terms of durability and range of conditions.

I'm going to iron this coat out and see how it fairs.

I am still running strong on my RaceWax application from the Loveland Session.

How long ago was that?

Put AT LEAST 10 days on it so far.

About reached its limit though...

Maybe another day or two.

Soooo many conditions tested in...works great all around.

Actually its pretty darn fast!

The only thing that turns me away is the price.

I'll still use my Toko bulk wax.

Can't beat the price!

Ace thanks for the review. How many days.... 10 that's crazy!

Question: What is that worth in hot waxing time? You have to look at the big picture since time is still a factor and which waxes in bulk will you need for a season? You can use HRRW for the colder temps and up to 25 to 30 F and switch to a bulk warm wax but we just typically use HRRW in the Spring since the wear is better and the glide is still amazing. All of this equals more riding and less tunning and waxing with HRRW. Use bulk and you will never have the glide of HRRW(.)

As for pricing... a competitive wax is about $2.00 per gram! Ouch! HRRW is less than half that cost. Keeping cost down is the reason the packing is not fancy and the product shape is not fancy. Next years pricing is looking like $39.95 for 50 grams if I can continue to keep costs down for a high performance race wax. That is still less than $1.00 per gram... for an amazing product.

While I am only a recreational (intermediate at best) rider, I pride myself on taking care of my equipment. Since 'Rays Way' was recommended to me by SkiMD that's all I have used. I was a little hesitant about trying the Hot Rod wax that I received at ECES since the Directions with it were specific about 'Hot Waxing & leaving it on Heavy'. After contacting 'HRRW' asking about use with 'Rays Way' figured I'd give it a try.

I tried it instead of the Dominator Zoom Graphite (All Temp) that I have been using all season (and was very happy with) and believe it to be as good if not better. Being that I wax everyday (since it's so simple and fast with Rays Way) it's hard for me to tell how it 'holds up' other than looked like it had less wear than the Zoom. Granted it was the end of the season and conditions were soft, no one was 'gliding past me' on the flats where usually noticable.

My next wax purchase will be from HRRW. :biggthump

• 2 weeks later...

I raced again this year at the NASTAR Finals in Winter Park. Conditons were interesting with intermittant sun and snow. The temperatures were higher than the specified range for the wax, but I used it anyway. The start was very flat, where the wax is critical. I believe the wax helped me win my class by 2 and 3 seconds over the 2nd place racer. Thanks Tony for the great product.

Arne

How many applications would you typically get out of your 50 g bar?

Neil,

With the 50g bar that I have been using I have waxed

2 Kessler 185

2 Donek WC GS 184

1 SG 177 Custom Race T

1 Rossi 144 wifes board

1 Lamar Dragon 110

1 Virus Rookie 99

1 Oldenburg 185

1 Tanker 200

1 NS Premier 172

I still have half a bar left as I have been experimenting using less wax than is recommended. It is still fast with less applied but doesn't last quite as long. I get 3-4 days between waxings. Just make sure to leave some of the wax with the Teflon showing for glide. Tony is currently testing using the Wax WHIZard and will probably be able to get a lot of uses out of that method.

I hope that helps Neil.

Ink