Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

How much on snow time did this SGP get, most of the new offerings are bacically the same in operation but what did you guys learn/change thought the testing process? Only if you care to share of course. And the one with the big monster nose, are you going to use that as a force multiplier to manulipulate and pressure the nose of the board?

Think Snow?

Isolation mechanism principles are very simple, a hinge at one end of the plate and a combined hinge slide at the other. Actual mechanisms and materials for achieving those principles vary widely and will have different wear characteristics. Plate stiffness, torsional rigidity, and binding placement relative to plate/board pivot points are areas ripe for experimentation.

Just mentally doodling here, could a plate be tuned for varying stiffness by attaching a bowstring like adjustable tension strap beneath the plate?

SunSurfer

Just getting to grips with the idea and working through the possibilities .

A turnbuckle type device could adjust the tension. If that was at one end then clearance would not be a problem. The string/strap could be fairly thin in that direction, would depend upon what material was used to make it. Spar makers for yachts use steel wire rope and spreaders/diamonds struts to achieve similar ends.

My latest iteration homebake plate mechanism, with an 8mm axle, has a 23mm gap between board and undersurface of the plate.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=310581&postcount=12

SunSurfer

• 4 weeks later...

I will work on an xl document to do the same.

This list will start the data collection.

Company----Price----Availabiliy

Tinkler-------500-1K-Now, custom orders

Apex--------1099C$----Now

Donek-------380-----Now-Pre-Ordered (introductory price)

Bomber------UA------Fall*

Oxess------UA------Winter*

Pisst---------UA-----UA

Vist---------550-----Now

Hangl-------650------Now

Raba--------IT-------Now

SGP----------UA-----UA

Kessler------UA------UA

Virus------600-700-----winter

UA = Unannounced or Unavailable

* = Best Guess

IT = Italian only website

Post additional info , I will edit the list as info is added.

That's a huge swing in price for the Tinklers. How much of a difference is the lower end vs. High end tinkler?

And on a separate note, are these plates advantageous to shorter decks like slalom length boards or just for longer sticks?

About 500$ :lol: sorry, just had to do it. But seriously.

Mike Tinkler has been an innovator of flex and dampening for many years. His plates are currently customs builds. The range was just to give folks an idea of what would be likely (from past builds) Some builds include additional components like "Snow Stix" , etc.

Both of the USA Olympic contenders were on custom Tinkler Plate Systems. Chris Klug and Tyler Jewell.

I would dare to generalize by saying both SL and GS boards can be influenced , it is most common on GS boards. Keeping in mind all plates are NOT the same. Changes are rapid in the current field of builders.

Chris and Mike at Timberline recently

post-198-141842321899_thumb.jpg

Sorry Shred. Not sure I quite understand , to be clear , are you saying both Coiler and Virus are building plates? Or tell who about the dimensions of your board so they can build a plate?

I am happy to add the information.

Who or what company is building the SGP?

Price Range?

Currently available?

bryan,

care to add the Kessler K-plate to your list?

http://www.kessler-swiss.com/en/ski.html#

Also, whats the chance of adding a brief descriptor. I am curious which of each of these are plates like the kildy plates versus the "karl" style isoplates.

Worth adding a column?

Absolutely, thanks for the update Todd.

Kessler K-plate

post-198-141842322007_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842322008_thumb.jpg