Note to New Members ×

What's with all the newbs?

photodad2001

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the OP, I saw five carvers at Big White yesterday, and five (with three different people) today. I was last here in the 1990s, when there was one carver there (me). I saw a couple at Silver Star the week before; same story on ten years ago. Some photos to follow in due course.

Needless to say the carvers were getting all the attention.

I'm getting a bit worried that I may have to find a more obscure branch of snowboarding. There are still a lot of skateboard people sideslipping about, but that's not really snowboarding.

On the OP, I saw five carvers at Big White yesterday, and five (with three different people) today. I was last here in the 1990s, when there was one carver there (me). I saw a couple at Silver Star the week before; same story on ten years ago. Some photos to follow in due course.

Needless to say the carvers were getting all the attention.

I'm getting a bit worried that I may have to find a more obscure branch of snowboarding. There are still a lot of skateboard people sideslipping about, but that's not really snowboarding.

Hardboot Bumping is a sport unto itself with very few practitioners.

+1 Bumpy.

I only know 1 other HBer that likes to ride steep bumps with me (Steve P),

it's always "showtime" riding with that guy.

Thoreau was a wise man

Just out of curiosity, what's your favorite ride and size in the bumps? One of these days we're going to have to "TRIP THE LINE FANTASTIC". We're not that far away.

Thoreau was indeed a wise man and by association I have to be at least half wise. I wonder if that's similar to halfwitty?

I was super into rails, park, and out of bounds riding. When I registered for the site it actually made me mail in my spiked belt and bandana for regisration to be complete.

I loved throwing down carves on my freestyle board. I just never had a true carve board setup because I was caught up in the other stuff. Im pretty excited to get my first setup. I have a feeling its going to feel pretty different...im used to feeling that board really flex between by feet and snap out of turns. carving boards just look soo much more fluid.

Strange as this sounds after riding HB more exclusively for the past couple of years I'm actually able to feel the board flex through the turns, and if you want snap out of a turn, wait until you unload the tail of the board between turns. mmm airborne edge transitions.

I brought a buddy across in early January, he was lovin' it. Said it felt like riding his sport bike.

Dave

Uh hang on with a post count less than 100 am I actually allowed to post?

I loved my Eldos 159 & 165 But I'm now using the Nidecker escape 165x20.5, or the Identity 173x25 since I just sold 168x24 Madd BX:(, I sold the killer and kept the quiver.

I used to use the 24 waisted grocer on upper international back in the day as well as a 157 asym alp and 170 K2 TX on the smaller bumps at ski acres.

I was a good bump skier before getting into snowboarding and have been using hard boots since '89.

Wish I had known about BOL sooner, like when my friend Landis got some trenchdiggers in the mid '90s.

I like them too, on softer days. When everyone goes chasing the last stashes in the trees, I enjoy the empty steep bumps. There's no way you'd find me in the steep frozen ones, though, except by mistake. ;)

I like the F2 ElDiablo (SpeedX) 165/22.8/9 and Kessler BX 168/22.2/?

Wider boards give me too much of negative leverage on my tiny boots. On narrower ones I'm stuck into riding the counter-rotation only. However, it seems that the mellower flex is the most important factor.

I prefer the surf stance for bumps, rather then real carving stance.

We are totally off-topic here...

I like them too, on softer days. When everyone goes chasing the last stashes in the trees, I enjoy the empty steep bumps. There's no way you'd find me in the steep frozen ones, though, except by mistake. ;)

I like the F2 ElDiablo (SpeedX) 165/22.8/9 and Kessler BX 168/22.2/?

Wider boards give me too much of negative leverage on my tiny boots. On narrower ones I'm stuck into riding the counter-rotation only. However, it seems that the mellower flex is the most important factor.

I prefer the surf stance for bumps, rather then real carving stance.

We are totally off-topic here...

Not so sure we're off topic because it shows another side to the Hardboot dimension. Hopefully it shows the new riders that there's other things to do on Hardboots rather than just the groomers where the obstacles are a plenty. It's far nicer being the almost the only riders in the bumps where you really don't have to worry about getting hit from behind, not even mentioning that there's always a new challenge just ahead of you.

I'm riding surf stance (I guess) too. 66-45, but have taken to a stiffer all mountain carving board. Been riding Burton Ultraprime 156 or 162 (19.5 to 19.75 waists) on icier days, or the 156 on spring or softer snow. I find that the narrower stiff boards set a great edge on the hard bump faces, and have plenty of spring. Occasionaly use a Coil 156 on the days where the powder is abundant and the day transitions from heavy Northwest (Seattle) Pow to Cascade concrete.

"that there's other things to do on Hardboots rather than just the groomers"-Bumpyride

The last few days I really have enjoyed my shortest, narrowest SL stick in the trees

:1luvu:

:biggthump

Bumps are only to be partaken when the slopes are bereft of powder. O'Sin Swallow when it's deep, Burton coil when it's merely 8" or less. Glades are always the best, and trees are the best slalom course ever devised.

Not so sure we're off topic because it shows another side to the Hardboot dimension. Hopefully it shows the new riders that there's other things to do on Hardboots rather than just the groomers where the obstacles are a plenty.

Exactly.

I hated riding bumps in softboots at low angles even though I could do it well. It always felt like my ankles were under constant strain and my spine was twisted into cushionless precompression.

Also newbies should be aware that when riding hardshells in powder I'm not talking about 700t/HeadSP/5buckleUPZs. 3buckle boots with soft thermoflex liner are the perfect "surfy" boot to track up the deep and still carve trenches back to the lift:biggthump

ps I've never looked behind me on a bump run to see if some straitliner was about to take me out!!

I'm also a bump rider. At the recent NES everyone wanted to be on the groom but I got bored of that after a couple days and was looking for bumps. Allee was the only one game enough to give it a try - she's up for anything!

I used to love the bumps. At A-basin I remember looking down at what looked like a field of VW Bugs covered in snow.

Speaking of different riding styles I took my daughter in the park last night to teach her how to do the step-up and gap jumps. Haven't done this in about 5 years but figured it'd be like riding a bike, unfortunatly I wasn't on a bike. On my first hit I did show her the proper way to roll down the windows and also proper technique for falling. After a few more attempts I got it back and realized there are a hand full of grabs I just can't reach anymore. I'm telling myself it's because I was riding stiffer boots.:lol: