Note to New Members ×

Carving gap between skiers and alpine snowboarders closing

Jack M

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G9E7YOEcJ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G9E7YOEcJ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

some great cross-under and cross-through there!! take note!

Thanks to Beckman via trailertrash for the link.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commentary seems to be by Harald Harb, one of the "patron saints" of ski carving.

Watch for the "phantom move" - very important for edge-to-edge transition without skid. It can be taken one step further (at least for fun carving) and actually engage that ski first! Majority of the skiers still want to initiate their next carve with the current inside ski, which is a bad practice.

With a bit of luck, I'll get to work on my ski carving a bit, tomorrow, on nice frozen cord ;)

Hey, now you can moderate yourself and move this to OT, like you did with the other ski carving tread :D ;)

Commentary seems to be by Harald Harb

Credits in the beginning say Tommi Antila.

Hey, now you can moderate yourself and move this to OT, like you did with the other ski carving tread :D ;)

Haha... I wanted to specifically point out the similarities. I forget, was that what the other thread was about? Or just skiing?

Not too long ago, I was asked (Though not by TT) where a person could find imagery that would help them become a better alpine snowboarder.

Here is one example.

1.Figure out what she is doing, and how she is doing it.

2. Figure out how you can most closely replicate those findings, given the limitations of your equipment.

3. Disregard, for the most part, the text in the video.

Credits in the beginning say Tommi Antila.

Ah, I didn't read it. Sounds just like textbook Harb...

Haha... I wanted to specifically point out the similarities. I forget, was that what the other thread was about? Or just skiing?

I think other one was mostly ski carving... Just was pulling your leg - I don't care much where do I read about the stuff.

Boardski, you are right. It helps release the current carve and start the next one more aggressivelly.

I was watching some ski racing on tv last weekend (since I was stuck at home.... car STILL trying to be fixed!!!!) Anyway, I couldn't believe how fast and abrupt the transitions between turns were. I think it was a GS that I was watching and I guess they need to get on the new edge pretty quick, but it just looked so jarring.... not pretty at all.

Yeah-They're super qucik sticks and if you get in the back seat at all at these lengths, racers cannot recover like they used to on longer overall running lengths. I get whacked looks when I run my 188 SL sticks. I prefer it over the shorter lengths. Bode might be running a longer length than most sl racers or even Liggety

188 SL's? Who makes them - or are they straight? That is just not a slalom length. I can't see why anyone would ride a modern slalom ski that is that long (if it exists).

If you guys have not tried modern SL skis, I highly recommend them. They are a blast. I ride Volkl racetiger SL's - my favorite of all that I have tested. They are as close to a race board as I have felt. They have the camber profile of the newer race boards as well.

I have found that most snowboard carvers can make the switch to race skis pretty easily.

188 SL's? Who makes them - or are they straight?

hi PHIL

i imagine they must be. back in the late 80's before the shaped ski era with all the additional fancy all mountain categories i just off-piste skied in my slightly detuned ATOMIC ARC 185 SL skis.

btw LINDSAY VONN is my favourite u.s. skier.

This is low as I can get on skis. I broke my ankle on the same gate the next day (NASTAR Nationals at Steamboat last year). I have a lot of room for improvement.

2crqbdy.jpg

Time for another look at this video. Just an observation but it looks as though the outside ski is just along for the ride and the inside ski is doing all the work. Impressive, nonetheless.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sGvthsclw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sGvthsclw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

...the inside ski is doing all the work...

hi PATMOORE

good observation. i have the opposite problem in that i am old school and tend to favour turning with the outside ski even when using shaped skis. i keep seeing all the young kids turning with both skis nowadays and am envious of their ability to also carve the inside ski. maybe a drill for this year would be to turn only on my inside ski to try and bring my ski skills up to par lol.

i have the opposite problem in that i am old school and tend to favour turning with the outside ski even when using shaped skis. .

Tenorman, it is indeed a problem that alot of skiers have that have transitioned from old straight ski technology to shaped skis. I was guilty of it also. My brother(veteran ski instructor at Brighton, UT) told me to roll my uphill ankle and knee into the hill. This will shift some of the weight onto your uphill ski and cause it to begin to carve rather than just slide along next to the downhill ski.

I admit, it is a totally different feeling to what I was used to when I did use straight skis. I can carve intermediate runs well but still revert back to old habits (all the weight on the downhill ski) on steeper runs. When I do click off a couple turns and see the railroad tracks in the snow it is a great feeling.

BTW, that is a great vid of Lindsay. I watched womens GS on the TV last night for over an hour. There was one fallaway turn that was incredible to watch. Some girls nailed it with hardly and snow flying off the ski (carving) and there were plenty of racers that had snow flying everywhere(skidding). The race was in Lake Louise, if you have NBC Universal Sports channel they have lots of ski racing on there.

hi PATMOORE

good observation. i have the opposite problem in that i am old school and tend to favour turning with the outside ski even when using shaped skis. i keep seeing all the young kids turning with both skis nowadays and am envious of their ability to also carve the inside ski. maybe a drill for this year would be to turn only on my inside ski to try and bring my ski skills up to par lol.

Practice the "phantom move", initiate the the next turn with a forward push of the new uphill knee.:biggthump

do it early & do it often.

I've been out with some friends this fall going "rollerskating".

the old 4 wheels and even though I am "OK" at it, my friends made mention how I look like Im skiing on wheels with my movements and even in the turns I hold form as if I was on a carver leaning into the inside front foot... LOL.

yeah I guess I'm Guilty. I have not had on a pair of skis since my very first time on snow almost 20 years ago. I decided I will "learn" to ski this winter.

May my Xmas wish of an Injury-free season come true.