Note to New Members ×

What is carving? I dont get it

jtslalom

I went into a local shop yesterday looking at new soft boards. While searching through the boards trying to get the firmest, longest, widest board the store had, a sales clerk came up to me to ask me for help. I told what type of board I was looking for and he was befuddled. Why on earth would you want a board like that? I explained that I come from a race carving back ground and that I ride soft boards now with soft bindings. I can't have toe drag and need a wider, high 160's board that is stiff as possible for my style of riding. Maybe it's me and it probably is but I don't think the guy had any clue about "carving". I think alot of people think carving is merely pressuring the board to make it turn. So I tried to explain it in more detail but to no avail. This guy tried to sell me just the very opposite board that I was looking for.

I find it funny that some people within the snowboard industry still don't understand what carving is and find myself trying to explain my style of riding any time I'm looking for a board. I guess that is why I still find myself perusing this site more often then asking for help at a local shop.

On the rare occasion I bother to walk in to board shop to buy wax or a stomp pad, I peruse the lunch tray offerings by walking up to the tallest pile, move the 160+ out of the way, pull out the longest board I can find, flex it and start laughing. Then ask if they carry anything longer & stiffer. They might tell me they can order me a 180 skunk ape(so can I), if they carry Libs, much to their confusion I tell them skunks are too wide for my hardboot stepins. I never waste any more time by looking at straps & laces cause I'm an elitest snob.

On the rare occasion I bother to walk in to board shop to buy wax or a stomp pad,.

:p Add the occasional pair of mitts or pants to that statement, and it pretty much sums up my patronage of the local shops. I think I've purchased a half-dozen stomp pads there the last few years--and they're beginning to wonder what the heck is going on.

As for the tail-kicking nephew above--add some cross-over rhythm, some steeper slopes, and some decent snow, and his habit could develop into a bit of carving. That's the way I started. It got me familiar with transitioning between edges on steeper terrain and getting the board up on edge. Once you feel that nose start to bite, its only a matter of time before you want to follow the feeling through to the tail instead of kicking it out to a skid. (Still, that jump to partial skid can be a nice tool for navigating through sketchy sections of steep trail--a good one to have in your toolbox.) So, there's hope for him, and all of us!

Yeah, in the UK (and on U-tube for that matter) "carving" is just the ability to kick the tail of the board around more than once without falling over. They think it means sequence-of-kick-turns or something like that.

We may need a new name for the sport.

Actually, in about 1992 someone asked me why I carved, and I couldn't understand what he was on about. I "snowboarded"; I didn't "carve". Ok, most of my turns were carved, but that's true of decent skiers too, and they didn't call themselves "carvers". So I'm not too bothered if they want to steal the word and using for those kicked-out-tail turns: they can have it and I'll keep snowboarding.

I went into a local shop yesterday looking at new soft boards. While searching through the boards trying to get the firmest, longest, widest board the store had, a sales clerk came up to me to ask me for help. I told what type of board I was looking for and he was befuddled. Why on earth would you want a board like that? I explained that I come from a race carving back ground and that I ride soft boards now with soft bindings. I can't have toe drag and need a wider, high 160's board that is stiff as possible for my style of riding. Maybe it's me and it probably is but I don't think the guy had any clue about "carving". I think alot of people think carving is merely pressuring the board to make it turn. So I tried to explain it in more detail but to no avail. This guy tried to sell me just the very opposite board that I was looking for.

I find it funny that some people within the snowboard industry still don't understand what carving is and find myself trying to explain my style of riding any time I'm looking for a board. I guess that is why I still find myself perusing this site more often then asking for help at a local shop.

hey, I have a tanker wide 187, rides GS types turns. 268 waist.... if you want it, let me know.

anyway yeah some people have no clue but most good snowboarders get it

When i asked the local snowboard store here about hardboots, the "manager" assured me they had them. I was surprised until she pulled out some softies and told me they were really stiff...uh... i tried to explain plate bindings and alpine boots and she didn't think there was such a thing. Sigh.

They did have a great selection of purses, studded belts, chain wallets and hoodies though. :rolleyes:

The snowboards were tucked into the corner and you couldn't even tell what boards they had. It seems like snowboard shops are just fashion boutiques these days. It's like that in both the stores here in town.

In a former life I worked for a Surf/Skate/Snow shop as a buyer... which gave up more and more floor space to shirts/clothes/swimwear due to the economic reality that hard goods are a real economic pair of cement boots... Just think of all that money just leaning against the walls and not moving. Core shops are a struggle to stay afloat much less turn a profit.

Friend of mine used to own a skate shop. He told me that on a $70 skate deck, he made about $5. But on a $100 pair of shoes, it was more like $50. Not only that, but only about 5% of people who buy skate shoes actually skate. Even so, it was a pretty good shop, he carried high quality longboards in addition to the popsicle sticks, sponsored comps and local ams, all the good stuff. But it was selling soft goods to poseurs that paid the rent.

Friend of mine used to own a skate shop. He told me that on a $70 skate deck, he made about $5. But on a $100 pair of shoes, it was more like $50. Not only that, but only about 5% of people who buy skate shoes actually skate. Even so, it was a pretty good shop, he carried high quality longboards in addition to the popsicle sticks, sponsored comps and local ams, all the good stuff. But it was selling soft goods to poseurs that paid the rent.

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!

So painfuly true.

I went to the Seattle Snowboard show and bought a brand new Nidecker Extreme 167. I walked past the Burton booth and 2 of the people working the booth chased after me and asked me what it was. I then tried to explain and they were lost when I said Hardboots and Plate bindings. So much for the exposure we get amongst the masses.

It is too bad that the softgods are what keep the doors open in most shops...

But when you think about it, it makes sense- people who can really make a snowboard perform are in the top 10% of buyers, so you need something else to sell to the 90% of the people who just want to look the part.

That is cool. I think people really like carving when they see it.

I agree. I often visit the hill where I grew up boarding during vacations. It's a small place, where the people are friendly and curious. I almost always get questions and compliments.

It is definitely a mystery to me how the masses haven't become aware that this discipline exists. I don't really mind as I enjoy being different. Honestly, I heard the word 'snowboard' at age 12 and was on plates by 14. I just always knew it was for me. :)

There needs to be a concerted effort to promote alpine, Like an ad in TWS (GASP!!)

I've heard too many people say id like to try that "some day"

Ill just bet if one of two shops near the slopes, would rent one 163sl board and 178gs, they WOULD rent them.

I think alot of people are scared of Alpine, in sveral respects. Some are threatened, some think its like a sport bike; they'd love to ride one but are afraid, others think its too hard to get into, and yet others are ignorant, and dont know what they are missing(but then again ignorance is bliss...)

The internet has really helped, probably more than anything, we're like people driving Lotus esprit's

if it wasnt for al gore alpine would be dead!

I've heard too many people say id like to try that "some day". Ill just bet if one of two shops near the slopes, would rent one 163sl board and 178gs, they WOULD rent them. I think alot of people are scared of Alpine, in several respects. Some are threatened, some think its like a sport bike; they'd love to ride one but are afraid, others think its too hard to get into, and yet others are ignorant, and dont know what they are missing(but then again ignorance is bliss...)

I'd like to think those two boards would get rented. But, many times when people have expressed interest in carving boards and trying it 'eventually', I've offered them the chance - and they have balked. You're likely right that they are afraid. I believe a lot of people don't think they're capable of what we do, or think that it will take too long to learn.