Note to New Members ×

Original 170 Madd?

big canuck

I was going through some old "Madd" threads and saw that there were "original" 170 Madds as well. I had to go back to 2004 to see it in on a non Madd thread but in the pic it looks like a 158 and a 170 by a 210 cm Donek. I have a decent little Madd collection and wouldn't mind adding that one.

Anyone here ride one? I love my original 158. Did they have the sweet ride the 158 has?

Anyone have one they wanna sell? Price is no object..., ok it is, but just seein whats out there.

Is Shaggy still around? I havn't seen him post in a while.

Thanks guys.

K

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, there were 158, 170,180 and a few softboot models in the beginning.

IMO it was the softboot models that killed the company, great warranty and they had a bad run of boards that the nose would delam on the softy model.

they were a big deal in MA, a bunch of us that worked at wachusett mountain had the softboot stuff.

Picture Homer Simpson dreaming/drooling about beer..:1luvu:

You just got it?!!! You have Orig 158's yeah? Lemme know how it rides guy.

Your "source" have 6 or 7 lying around by chance?

Very cool.

Viva old school!! (My new SG is freakin awsome too, don't want to start that again boys.):biggthump

Edit: Original 180's too..? OMG.. I need them all.

Sneak peek attached. :)

And no, I am not going to be using TD1s on it.

I'm way down south (Florida) at the moment with the folks for Turkey day but I can have a better pic and impressions for you next weekend.

Sorry no source for another one of these. I have been looking for one for about five years and finally got this one. :1luvu:

post-17-141842292093_thumb.jpg

post-17-141842292095_thumb.jpg

It definitely has the special base and similar carbon. I had PTC work their magic as well.

I don't know the full story, but the topsheet was a drawing done by a kid who was in the hospital with cancer. Banker loved it and used it on the alpine sticks. I don't believe the older freestyle stuff had that look though.

about a year ago, CMC was trying to sell off a bunch of Madd originals. IIRC they were all in pretty bad condition (thin edges, dead cores) but if it's just for collection purposes you might want to get in touch with him. Last I saw he was still occasionally posting on freecarve.com

I do talk to CMC on occasional basis but rarely these days.

Long story short, CMC's basically not welcome to this forum and has been banned for a long time. Possibly for life.

And I reiterate what somebody above said, you can find him out in freecarve.com

It definitely has the special base and similar carbon. I had PTC work their magic as well.

I don't know the full story, but the topsheet was a drawing done by a kid who was in the hospital with cancer. Banker loved it and used it on the alpine sticks. I don't believe the older freestyle stuff had that look though.

yes, all the boards did that I have seen other than some of the capped boards

the softboot stuff had a purplish tone instead of the sepia that the alpine boards did

Hey Eric, can't wait to see you too at ECES. I'll be hiding my boards when they are not under foot (ulterior motives huh):lol::lol:

Big Canuck, yes, the 170 is as good IMO as the 158. My 170 was the find of the century is actually a proto type. Its a little bit stiffer than most of the 170s, but an absolute blast to ride. It is my goto deck. Although I do have a VSR on the way from Bruce, so 1st place may be a tie soon...we'll see.

Yup I'm after the ones from the 90's. Something about em...

I wish Madd Mike would make them again. I bet if he produced them (The 90's versions) again and changed NOTHING he would do VERY WELL with them.

Any thoughts Mike? Holla back bud!

Thanks.

K

from who I have talked to, if they do build them again they will be modernized like some of their metal demos were. metal, updated shapes and so on.

I think it's clear that Madd is not something that's not working well enough to do well and go full time. if they changed nothing there would be a huge amount of t-nutted boards. brass inserts suck. AFAIK the base material on the original is not even available.

good boards, I was one of the people that ordered one sight unseen for the green sidewall run. it was a process similar to getting a coiler. not something for everyone. I'd love to see madd be a big player but I just don't think it will happen.