Note to New Members ×

Have you realesed what happened???

Bordy

have you released from the board what happened?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. have you released from the board what happened?

• I have never Released.
    • I have Released one foot and was fine, no biggy
    • I have Released one foot and was hurt.
    • I have Released from both feet and went for the body slide!
    • I have Released from both feet and was hurt.

...more times than I can count

-pulled the screws out on half a dozen boards in the dark ages

-disintegrated burton variplates, fritschi/nitro plates, lofos, elfgens, and sims race bindings at various times

-blew the heel clip on some avalanche(?) plates making a 50+mph turn coming off the bottom of mainline pocket, Squaw - front foot - tumbled a bit till the rear boot broke off - strained the knee a little but nothing too serious

-two-footed release after clipping a gate at Northstar - slid into a barrier and bruised/mildly separated shoulder

-went too fast into icy moguls at bretton woods and released front foot on TD2s - no injury - that was due to not checking tightness on a -5 degree day (you know, plastic and metal change sizes at different rates when it's that cold)

I can go on and on

Not being a wise-ass but I like to think more in terms of a circle, my turn below an object is also my turn above the next object..it's a zen thing

Nate it seems to me Billy is not saying there's a tougher binding on the market, he's saying the binding should be the weak link in the chain, let it break before your knee or leg, that's what I read.

I don't entertain thoughts of breakage or releasage while en-route, I'm busy thinking of circles, and breasts, but that's just me.

Ah, come on...... the time on the lift doesn't count as a release?????? I think it should! hahahahaha

!

One of the rare times I didn't bother with a leash:freak3: a couple years ago at INWES Silver Mt right after getting on the lift(1st time I met Kathy). I swung my rear foot under the front for support & hit the release lever :eek:on the nitros. Tried to grab the board as it dangled from the toe bail but it fell, luckily upside down.

The most humiliating scolding and official probation(the verge of being 86ed) from patrol at the top of the lift.

Not being a wise-ass but I like to think more in terms of a circle, my turn below an object is also my turn above the next object..it's a zen thing

Nate it seems to me Billy is not saying there's a tougher binding on the market, he's saying the binding should be the weak link in the chain, let it break before your knee or leg, that's what I read.

I don't entertain thoughts of breakage or releasage while en-route, I'm busy thinking of circles, and breasts, but that's just me.

I like the Zen aspect, but its clear that you are aware of where to turn and that there is a safety issue with turning were any falure be it edge or gear will not invole impact.

I'm not sure I am saying the binding should be the weakest link, but if you decide to ride a super burly binding you probably just made it so it isn't.

I prefer it to be my weakest link, but I don't think there is enough real data to prove what part should be, and I really don't want to open the realesable binding can of worms,(since you posted the picture in another thread) just to get a idea what the riders on the BOL board have expereanced,

It is clear what most racer have decided?

One of the rare times I didn't bother with a leash:freak3: a couple years ago at INWES Silver Mt right after getting on the lift(1st time I met Kathy). I swung my rear foot under the front for support & hit the release lever :eek:on the nitros. Tried to grab the board as it dangled from the toe bail but it fell, luckily upside down.

The most humiliating scolding and official probation(the verge of being 86ed) from patrol at the top of the lift.

I gotta kick in a little here also, I have watched people double relese several times and their leash just broke, I have also watch the leash save the rider for years I ran a little loop of cord through my TD clip and my lowest buckle so if I did realese the board stayed at me feet, then when I did release it ripped the buckle right off my boot.... Go figure.

Got a prerelease out of my TD2 standards several times plated on a Swoard. A few times nothing happened. Once I had a little knee injury because with the prerelease I wanted to brake on a black slope (steep) and my knee turned too much. The reason of the prereleases: I had too much tension on the setup. Went over to Intecs by the way.

Released front foot mid-turn once, completely user error as I had my TD1s too loose. Broke the plastic buckle on my leash but no injuries. I almost stopped before I had figured out what had happened.

Got hit from behind by a straightliner, one ski managed to undo my front toe clip. It was a pretty high energy tumble but no injuries from the release. Had switched to one of those metal clip-type leashes, that tore the ankle strap off the boot. Don't use those anymore!

Last season I didn't get my fintec properly inserted, lost the rear foot while pressuring the nose pretty hard in a toeside - just about fell forward but finished the turn on one leg. My friends said it looked like I was trying snowboard ballet with my rear leg stuck out behind me. ;) Way scary but again no injury, luckily.

I have had a few inadvertent binding releases.

2 "dual" footers, terrain park jump and landed on shedded ski left behind, board stopped , over the bars, headfirst belly slide, both toes dug in and popped the bails, also one chair lift foot rest catch on front bail, leash saved the board.

1 highspeed front footer, ( old trident rattraps ) that I didnt set the bail tension quite right.

2 rear footers, one from shearing the rear bail block bolts on burton race plates on a small cornice drop , one from peeling the inserts out of an old oxygen supercross,

No injuries in any of them

Great thread with very interesting poll results - thank you.

I've released a few times without injury. I just had this idea in my head that the board would dismember me without both feet locked down.

Based on the poll results, I'm going to get rid of 3 out of the 4 insert screws on each binding to save weight.

Great thread with very interesting poll results - thank you.

I've released a few times without injury. I just had this idea in my head that the board would dismember me without both feet locked down.

Based on the poll results, I'm going to get rid of 3 out of the 4 insert screws on each binding to save weight.

new burtons only need 2 bolts, you should upgrade:rolleyes:

don’t know if i am outside the sample space or not but i only had a bail break when i was on my skwal. both times on burton raceplates and always thought it was due to the extremely high binding angles (about 80 degrees.)

never broke a bail while on a snowboard but did pull out the rear foot inserts 3 times—always while using td1’s. the 3 boards were a rossi throttle, a nitro scorpion and a sims premium.

despite all the close calls i had many years ago i guess i would be part of group 1 (never released)—and that was how i voted. i will change my vote if i have misunderstood the question.

The only thing I have which maybe is a "release" was when I blew my foot out through the side of the boot, breaking my ankle in the process. If the boot had held I guess I may have taken damage elsewhere anyway.

btw PHILW

i was going to give my old raichle naganos (similar to late model 225/older model 325) that only have about 20 days on them to my friend’s son who wants to try hardbooting this year. one (of many) reasons i stopped using those boots was getting spooked by your post on bomberonline about 10 years ago where you posted about how you severely messed up your ankle when the cant(s) blew out on your raichle 225s. if i recall correctly you had the blue ones with red tongues and i think you said the cant(s) that blew out was(were) gray coloured. did you subsequently use those boots again? did you suffer any further mishaps?

sorry to bring up an old topic but i never stuck around bomberonline long enough to find out if you ever got those boots working again.