Note to New Members ×

Vail - is this par?

FTA2R

our group leader got a final quote and we're waiting from confirmation from everyone they can do the trip.

as of now, there are 10 of us getting a huge Vail house (supposedly). assuming my airfare from DC is 390 (sounds a bit high to me, but i guess everyone is going there at this time), the trip will be about 1200 for me.

This includes:

-3 days lift ticket (fri, sat, sun)

-shuttle to and from vail airport

just seems a bit much for only 3 days of riding....am I totally out of touch or could i do this same trip to another CO resort for a lot less?

if anyone has any ideas how to get a group discount lift ticket (supposedly they won't do that for us), please let me know.

ps do i hvae to pay to bring my equpiment with me now?

Seems a bit high to me.

However; number == buying power.

Lots of factor: prime time, how many spots is your group gurantee?

some sample price:

ski club in NYC:

Vail, Colorado - $1395 (early payment)

Feb. 6th - 13th, 2010

Non-stop flights via United Airlines (LaGuardia to Denver)

Seven Nights Lodging at the Evergreen Lodge

Continental Daily Breakfast (Optional Full Breakfast Available for $5.00 per day)

Roundtrip Transfers from and to Denver

5/6 Day Pass for Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breckenridge, Arapahoe Basin

Mid-Week Wine and Cheese Party

All Taxes and Services

The ski club I belong to did a vail trip with similar itinerary for less than 1000. <-- however we did 4 day lift ticket. I just buy a lift ticket from the group for $20?

so the price goes up and down...

HTH

--

David

The "Vail" airport is actually closer to Gypsum - about 40 minutes or so from Vail. Would it be cheaper to fly into Denver (2 hours from Vail)?

From what I understand, if one misses out on the early season passes available to locals, there are virtually no deals to be had on tickets.

However, you may be able to find someone selling some days left on their multi-day passes if you hang around a ticket window.

can be a good way to go as it is only sligtly more than the cost of the shuttle vans from Denver.When I lived in Gypsum and worked in Vail the shuttles were already so expensive as to make the flight into Gypsum(Eagle Airport) a better deal when considering time saved and the cost was very close.Some locations have direct flights into Eagle which makes it a real time saver.

On the other hand I would look at a package or rent a house or condo at Copper Mountain just East of Vail as it is not Vail owned like Keystone and Breck are and is, IMO ,a better value for package deals and a better carving mountain than any of the Vail resorts.

Discounting airfare, that's over $800 for 3 days, which is ridiculous.

Just for comparison, I pulled the most expensive place I could find at Big White, check it out here. Private chalet, 5 bedrooms, it's basically $1000/night split 10 ways is only $100/person/night. So that's $300 for 3 nights, a 3 day lift ticket is $177 if you book in advance. There's $477 and that's in Canadian dollars.

The one I quoted you is pretty swanky. You could go a lot cheaper at Big White, like $250/night depending on season for a 4 bedroom +den affair.

I know, it's not Vail or even in the US but I'm just saying your Vail digs are pretty expensive. Big White is also true ski-in, ski-out most places.

One area linked to from sporting goods indicates an excess fee of $175 based on . . .

<TABLE class=cleanTable><TBODY><TR class=odd><TD>63–80 inches (161-203 cm) —total of length plus width plus height </TD><TD>$175 each</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=cleanTable><TBODY><TR class=even><TD>Over 80 inches (203 cm) —total of length plus width plus height </TD><TD>not permitted</TD></TR></TBODY><TFOOT><TR><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR></TFOOT></TABLE>

I used FedEx in 2009 to Aspen and will do so again in 2010. What a shocker to put one self through at the check in counter on day 1 of a trip.

I used FedEx in 2009 to Aspen and will do so again in 2010. What a shocker to put one self through at the check in counter on day 1 of a trip.

I've found that the enforcement of these regulations is very subjective, I remember a trip (with Delta I think) where I got totally different treatment in either direction ... one way my board was no biggie, and the other it was this huge expense. Plus with FedEX you can actually insure the board for what it is worth, and you can send it a few days ahead so that any ****ups won't leave you boardless on an expensive vacation.

Northwest (now part of Delta) shows thats a ski or board bag can go as a 1st ($20) or 2nd ($30) checked bag if checked/paid at airport. Online checkin/payment reduces cost to $15 for 1st, $25 for 2nd.

So for a round trip you can get away with as little as $30 if you can pack very well and only check 1 item.

checking 1 suitcase and 1 boardbag could be as little as $80 R/T if you stay under 50lbs each bag. $100 R/T if you check/pay at airport.

This applies to a pair of frequent flier tickets I recently got thru NWA.com. I have no idea what is going to happen for NWA flights booked thru Delta.

cut and pasted info:

Domestic Coach - each ticketed passenger is allowed one (1) piece of checked baggage for a fee of USD$20/CAD$20 each-way and a second piece of checked baggage for a fee of USD$30/CAD$30 each-way for customers checking in at a kiosk or with an agent at the airport. Customers who check in and pre-pay for their baggage on nwa.com will be charged $15 for the first piece of checked baggage and $25 for the second checked bag

Skiing and Snowboarding Equipment

Northwest accepts one ski bag containing skis, poles and bindings and one ski boot bag containing boots as checked baggage - count the two items as one piece of checked baggage. Northwest accepts one item of skiing/snowboarding equipment as one piece of baggage included in the baggage allowance. Ski/snowboard equipment must adhere to normal weight limits. The outside linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches and no oversize baggage fee will apply. (my emphasis)

An item of ski equipment is defined as one of the following

One (1) ski bag containing up to two (2) pairs of skis and one (1) boot bag

One (1) snowboard

One (1) snowboard bag containing up to two (2) snowboards