Note to New Members ×

10,000+ Waterproof Clothing

Chubz

Folks

Looking for feedback on 10k plus clothing makers out there that you recommend. I am mostly looking for pants. I have had some Volcom Nimbus in my hand but the local shop has held the same price for 3 years running. I have bought pants in the past that indicate waterproof, but I want gear that beads moisture on those days close to freezing or slightly about.

Here in PA, we get up and downs cycles and this season expects some good precip.

Also looking for solid colors, not any of this plaid or print crap I see out there now.

Thanks

Greg

I've tried a bunch of different brands of supposedly waterproof outer ware and the only thing thats lived up to the claims is Gore-Tex. Amazing stuff. Besides using their clothing I also use Gore Tex boots for snowmobiling and even standing in water my feet stay dry.

Some guy with the U.S. Army did some lab studies on this and found that eVent and Entrant are more breathable than Gore-Tex: http://www.shelby.fi/tips/breathability.pdf. Looks like that research is 10 years old though, so you may need to take it with a grain of salt.

If you're interested, Event has a list of manufacturers using their fabrics on their website - scroll down to "Outdoor Apparel" : http://www.eventfabrics.com/find_eVent.php

I've heard positive things online about the manufacturer Westcomb - apparently it was founded by ex-Arcteryx employees. But I've never talked to anyone who had direct experience with their gear - has anyone here tried them?

If you look at the membranes then Goretex is the best known and many companies use it for their top lines. So I guess it´s pretty good :D.

I also use some jackets and pants with the Toray Dermizax membrane and I couldn´t tell any difference from the Goretex stuff.

As to recommending a specific product - I think it is difficult, because it depends on how you like your fit and whether you like your pants insulated or not (3L: not insulated; 2.5L: not insulated; 2L: insulated).

I have used pants from the Burton AK line (Goretex, e.g. the 3L Hover pants), which I liked very much. They have a looser fit.

For this year I am looking into other companies as well, e.g. Mammut (although their stuff is mainly designed for freeskiing).

I've heard positive things online about the manufacturer Westcomb - apparently it was founded by ex-Arcteryx employees. But I've never talked to anyone who had direct experience with their gear - has anyone here tried them?

Went to the site and am impressed, love my Arcteryx coats and pants, bombproof, 100% waterproof, just not enough pockets, and to dark, this line has no more pockets but does come in lighter colors :)

GearAttack hasn't had any Westcomb products up yet :eek:, as if.

I see 3 layer XCR gortex burton pants on gearattack almost daily btw

there are many diff type of gore-tex

pro (hard shell)

soft shell

paclite

performance

xcr

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/men

the 3 layer gore-tex pro shell i have is loud...(not color; just the sound it make when moving around.). Seems very durable.

One thing with tech shell is that one need to take care of it.

I was soak wet wearing a bonefire 30k water proof shell; why? Cause i didn't know what I was doing. I throw it in the macher machine like regular laundry and never water proof it.

Now I use Nikwax on shell that had 5k water proofing and kept me nice and dry.

patagonia have their own version of H2No.. which I will be trying this season. <-- can anyone fine the actual water proof rating on them?

HTH

--

David

I am mostly looking for pants.

took that last year:

https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=87

great (but price seems increased for some $70). keep in touch with taiga' people on sizing - I take his suggestion, downsize a little - and seems this pants will live through some hunderds days of abuse (120 days of last winter, with some carving, some snow-cave-touring, some rocky Alps..). great pants. took them over arcteryx gamma sv - and will always took them over arc' again

I picked up some Bergens pants ( from Scandinavia maybe Norway) last year and have been very impressed with their waterproofness. Granted we are not BC wet here in central Idaho but I didn't have weta$$ once last year.

They are on the thin side for me and uninsulated, so I usually avoid getting on the snow with them. They do seem really tough whatever that thin material is.

I'm a rock/ice climber and am a junky for Arc'Teryx...

Keep your layers simple so don't buy insulated gear, add on the layers when you need it. If it's below -10°C try to use softshells (windproof / water resistant) to decrease condensation.

Always keep your shells clean and re-apply manufacturer's suggested water repellent on the outside (NO WASH-IN) as needed.

Gore-Tex garments generally have descent warranties, coatings are a lot less durable over time (my bibs are Lowe Alpine triple point ceramic, very breathable but they wouldn't keep me dry under pouring rain anymore)